1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Amazon Unveils $199 Kindle Fire Tablet

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Xerobull, Sep 28, 2011.

1. swilkins

swilkins Member

USing Kindle beta on my HP touchpad I got for 99 bucks.

On my 3rd white old school one. Been a fan since the 400 dollar days. Love em.

I'll wait a little while longer.

2. Nero

Nero Member

Only if they finally put a camera, a microphone, and dedicated external volume controls.

Otherwise, NO.

I like my Fire, but man is it annoying to change the volume.

And not even a microphone? Come on Amazon.

So, did they put those in the new models?

3. thegary

thegary Member

i feel sorry for poor people who quibble over.........

4. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

All the new Kindle HD tablets come with "special offers". Which means you will have to deal with Ads on your lock screen. LOL.....Paying $499 for a tablet so Amazon can force Ads down your throat......PRICELESS! LOL. :p

5. Yonkers

Yonkers Member

Part of reason it's that cheap. If you hate the Ads that much you can pay nearly twice that much for an iPad.
    I bought Kindle last year that was ad-supported, when it was still $79 (now $69). The ads are on the main screen when your Kindle is in sleep mode. And it's on a banner at the bottom when you're on the home screen where you select the book you want to read. Once you're in the book you don't see anything at all. I was more than happy to pay $30 less for that.

6. Sajan

Sajan Member

i dont read..well except the book of clutchfans...

but i did preorder a kindle paperwhite wifi for the GF. i think it's the first time i have preordered something. lol

7. Yonkers

Yonkers Member

I used to read a ton. Then for a period of 10 years I hardly read at all other than technical books as I beefed up on my IT certifications. But no fiction. I've read so much more since I got my Kindle. Probably read more since I got it than the previous 10 years combined. I got my son into reading a lot too and the Kindle was a big part of that. Now I'll get a Paperwhite also.

8. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Um.....The iPad starts at $499 and has no Ads...lol. Where's the double? Im talking about the 8.9 inch version of the Fire HD. You are paying Amazon....to make money off of you...LOL. You can be that Dumbass.........

9. Yonkers

Yonkers Member

So you're comparing the iPad starter at $499 with the LTE version of the Fire at $499? Why not compare it to the $199 version then?

10. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Because the $199 version...is not a iPad competitor. The current version proved that. Even at $199... I'm not giving Amazon money to place Ads on my device. The Google Nexus doesn't do it

11. Yonkers

Yonkers Member

OK. Then compare it to the 8.9" $299 version. The iPad is still nearly twice as much.

I still don't understand what your argument with me is about. I said I didn't think the ads were a big deal because I actually have one and think they're not intrusive. I'm not sure if you've even seen one. However, if you have and you still think it's a big deal then buy an iPad at nearly twice the price. Which part of that do you have an issue with?

As for the Google Nexus, that would be a closer comparison. However, the Kindle Fire does have twice the memory, two speakers versus one, and more battery life. Whether that's worth having some ads on your device would be a personal matter.

But you're talking like they're selling the exact same device but Amazon is just putting ads on there and making money off of you with nothing in return. They put ads on there but give you a cheaper device or a device with more hardware. It's up to you as a consumer to decide if it's worth it.

12. plates300

plates300 Member

been contemplating between this and the nexus 7 but I think I will go with the nexus 7. quad core vs dual core.

13. macalu

macalu Member

i agree. there's nothing intrusive about the kindle ad at all. i don't even notice they're there once i turn my kindle on. i'd say the ads add even more value because every once in a while a good discount is offered on products i would use anyways.

14. OmegaSupreme

OmegaSupreme Member

15. Coach AI

Coach AI Member

I turned on the ads on my older Kindle once for a few months, hoping to see some good deals to make it worthwhile. They were really ****ty. Ended up turning it back off.

16. BetterThanI

BetterThanI Member

17. wreck

wreck Member

If reports of $50 a year 3g or 4g plans is true. You cant really beat the $500 kindle. I mean thats clearly a ton of savings.:eek:

18. Coach AI

Coach AI Member

The price is good, but that's only 250 mb a month. I'm interested in seeing if they'll offer better plans and how much they will be.

Also, Fire HD 7" OS hasn't improved much, it looks like. If these hands on videos are any indication, it looks even laggier than the first gen. :eek:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXFCkLi-yqU&feature=player_embedded

Paperwhite Kindle is the best thing out of these announcements IMO.

19. Yonkers

Yonkers Member

That's not a report. That's on their web page. So yes, it's true.

20. Yonkers

Yonkers Member

Yeah, that's what I ordered. I'm still waiting on Apple announcement to see if I want a Kindle Fire or not. But I know I want the Paperwhite.