1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Amazon Unveils $199 Kindle Fire Tablet

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Xerobull, Sep 28, 2011.

1. gah

gah Member

To CaseyH. The screen has no extra layers on it, it is basically the same as the kindle keyboard. This is something Sony first figured out a year ago, they use infrared sensors to read the interaction, the touch experience is really much improved, the technology is very responsive, there's no extra glare or fingerprints either, you should give the updated technology a try, it's no gimmick (think of just tapping on a word to look it up in the dictionary, instead of having to go all the way to it using the directional buttons) You can go through pages one handed too with the effort roughly being the same (using your thumb while you hold it)

To wrap it up, All of the issues you've brought up about Touch have bee taken care of over a year ago, I suggest you take a look at the new versions from Barnes and Noble and Sony, the only real downgrade is not having a real keyboard.

I'd be cautious before buying the new entry-level version, if you think taking notes got worse on the touch version, imaging having no keyboard or not even touch. Also I would make sure it gets the same features as the touch (so far it appears that X-Ray is not going to be there)

Honestly, there's no reason why I wouldn't want to spend the extra $25.

to greenhippos. It has a feature that lets you highlight text and make annotations on it, I'd say it is pretty convenient but to me it falls short of the real thing, also not all textbooks would work on a kindle, they would be better suited for a 10 inch device, which was one of my main hopes for the touchpad.. Only to find out that at this point it just plain suck at handling PDFs.

To what. They can build a laptop and call it a Kindle... The technology you are asking for is not ready yet, maybe next year we will get color e-ink or mirasol. In the meantime, Kindles have been able to browse since forever, they're just not up to the task, at least the touch should be an improvement but in no way I would imagine it to be satisfying.
    --
    I'll see what I can get for my keyboard one once the touch is available, I still love it though and think it has lots of miles left in it, but the touch is here to try to eat Barnes and Noble and Sony alive.

2. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Member

Would still have preferred page turning buttons and a different color but my mind is now at rest. I am really happy they didn't muck up the glorious e-ink display. Now thinking about getting a Kindle Touch 3G.

#62 Bandwagoner, Sep 28, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2011
  3. Coach AI

Coach AI Member

Hmmm...question now is do I keep my Kindle 3 and get a Fire, or sell the Kindle and just get a Touch....

Ah, there you go. It definitely seemed as though it wasn't a problem, I just hadn't read yet what the tech was. Good to know.

4. Yonkers

Yonkers Member

I went ahead and purchased the entry-level Kindle yesterday. My reasons:
    - It's available now. I didn't want to wait 2 months for the Kindle Touch
    - It does have a keyboard after all, though you have navigate it with the 5-way controller
    - I bought this for reading and not note taking. I already have an iPad 2 but I wanted something I could read out by the pool
    - It is smaller and I was looking for something like that

5. Royals Ego

Royals Ego Member

if only this thing had expandable memory... the ball is in samsung's court to see how they'll price their galaxy tab 7.7

the selling point here is the IPS display, which the galaxy 7.7 also has

6. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Member

I'm going to keep my Kindle 2 and get a Fire. That way I have a dedicated e-read and a tablet.

7. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Member

If you didn't want 3G, I think you made a very good choice. When you get it, let us know about color. I am not feeling it on the pictures.

8. Yonkers

Yonkers Member

My Kindle came in on Saturday. My first Kindle so I can't compare it to anything else but I have to say I really like it. It's about the size of a small paperback, which was perfect for me today when I just walked everywhere with it in my shorts pocket.
    I had a bunch of ePub books my friend gave me and I was able to convert and put all of them on the Kindle. Looks great.
    My biggest complaint are about the forward and backward page buttons on either side. They have both a forward and back on either side so that is great, since you can hold it with any hand. But you have to push down on the buttons. However, when you're gripping it with one hand you're putting pressure inwards on the sides so you can hold it better... not down. So it's not easy to depress the buttons.
    Also, for anyone considering the advertising one... get it... you don't notice it at all. It's only on the screensaver when I pick it up. And then gone as soon as I take it out of sleep.

9. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I'm thinking about getting one of the smaller Kindles and then waiting for a larger Kindle/tablet to appear. I want to see some reviews on the Fire, first.

A bit more info ... :

http://www.engadget.com/2011/10/07/amazon-adds-kindle-fire-specific-details-to-developer-portal-a/

Snippet :

... Amazon says it will review every app in its Appstore for Fire compatibility, as part of an automated process. Rejected apps, Amazon informs us, will include those that rely on a gyroscope, camera, WAN module, Bluetooth, microphone, GPS, or micro SD. Apps are also forbidden from using Google's Mobile Services (and in-app billing), which, if included, will have to be "gracefully" removed. In terms of actual content, Amazon has outlawed all apps that change the tablet's UI in any way (including theme- or wallpaper-based tools), as well as any that demand root access (it remains to be seen how the company will treat the root-dependent apps already in its store).

10. Rox_fan_here

Rox_fan_here Member

So less than a month until this is released. Has anyone else pre-ordered?

11. Cowboy_Bebop

Cowboy_Bebop Member

12. Coach AI

Coach AI Member

I have. Been debating on whether to keep it, but I think I am and am going to hold on to my Kindle 3 as my ereader. If the rumors are true and some of the other media content providers, such as Netflix, are going to be able to have apps on the Fire, I'll be more than happy with it. And if they do release a 10" tablet down the line, depending on the price, I can always sell the Fire.

13. YallMean

YallMean Member

14. Cowboy_Bebop

Cowboy_Bebop Member

Yeah but their main goal is to sell many apps, books, magazines, movies ect. So going cheap on hardwares is definitely a bold move.

15. OmegaSupreme

OmegaSupreme Member

16. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

Amazon Kindle Paperwhite

Pretty cool, but I'm just hoping to see something about a new Fire.

17. OmegaSupreme

OmegaSupreme Member

dayuuum. $159 for a new fire? nice.

18. gah

gah Member

Holy ****, just last night I dreamed that my Kindle got smashed, in the future if I dream about the lottery I'm going to make sure I buy a ticket.

19. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I'll take the new Kindle Fire HD, thank you. 16 GB.

[​IMG]

OMAP 4470 processor, from Texas Instruments

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5GHz Wi-Fi band
    [​IMG]

MIMO
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Truth be told, I'll likely wait until early next year before I buy a tablet. But this looks pretty damn good.

[​IMG]
    Kindle Fire HD, 16GB, 7 inches. $199.

[​IMG]

And then, drum roll...

[​IMG]

Kindle Fire HD with 4G LTE, 8.9 inches, 32GB of storage — $499

New data plan, too. 250MB a month. 20GB of cloud storage, $10 Amazon credit. $49.99 a year. Compare price with iPad 3:
    [​IMG]

Order today, ships September 20

#79 Haymitch, Sep 6, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2012
  20. OmegaSupreme

OmegaSupreme Member

well i guess this was crap. :rolleyes: