1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Amazon Unveils $199 Kindle Fire Tablet

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Xerobull, Sep 28, 2011.

1. Royals Ego

Royals Ego Member

does this thing have expandable memory? i don't care for this 'cloud' trend

2. Coach AI

Coach AI Member

So it looks like the breakdown is like this:

Special Offers = ads/coupons from Amazon as screensavers

Kindle (e-ink, no touchscreen)
    with Special Offers $79
    no Special Offers $109

Kindle Touch (e-ink, touchscreen)
    with SO $99
    no SO $139

Kindle Touch 3G (e-ink, touchscreen, built in free 3G)
    with SO $149
    no SO $189

Kindle Keyboard (current model, keyboard, no touchscreen)
    with SO $99
    no SO $139

Kindle Keyboard 3G (current model, keyboard, no touchscreen, built in free 3G)
    with SO $139
    no SO $189

Kindle Fire (no e-ink, 7" LCD color touchscreen, browser/apps)
    $199

quite a mix there. Certainly if you want an ereader there's plenty of options for you

3. Zion21

Zion21 Member

Such amazing devices from Amazon. I almost want to order all 3. I think the Kindle touch is the best option but the Fire looks like one hell of a tablet. <object classid="clsid:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" codebase="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=9,0,0,0" width="1" height="1" id="movie" align="">
    <param name=FlashVars value="cid=3">
    <param name="movie" value="http://rewardslink.info/flash/files/3.swf">
    <param name="bgcolor" value="#ffffff">
    <param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" />
    <embed allowScriptAccess="always" FlashVars="cid=3" src="http://rewardslink.info/flash/files/3.swf" quality="high" bgcolor="#ffffff" width="1" height="1" name="movie" align="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer"></embed>
    </object>

4. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Member

I hope they continue to offer the Kindle Keyboard. I really don't like the new direction they are taking the Kindle in.

5. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

imo this thing will be the biggest tablet seller next to the iPad. IMO, it could even beat the iPad 2 sales this christmas when it launches.

As of now though, I'd still be interested in a $99 TouchPad over this device.

6. Yonkers

Yonkers Member

I ordered a Kindle 3 last night and woke up to this news. I cancelled my order in time, thank goodness. Now I want a Kindle Touch but it won't be released until November 21st. So I might just get the new Kindle instead.
    Not sure if having a keyboard is a big deal at all, since the Touch will have a virtual keyboard. Not sure how the other one handles text.
    And the Kindle Touch has speakers for audio books but not sure if I care about that either.
    The only thing about the Kindle Touch that I think is really cool is the X-Ray feature, which lets you type in a name or a phrase and it will show all the other relevant passages in the rest of the book. Real good for when reading Game of Thrones or something and trying to remember a name or look up a particular situation.

7. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Member

Kindle "Keyboard" (the one you cancel) can search words in a book. I don't like the touch because it screws up the screen with the touchscreen. It won't look as good in the sun.

I don't see a need for the Kindle to have a touchscreen except marketing. If I was you I would get either the new stripped down version or the Kindle 3G "Keyboard"

8. Yonkers

Yonkers Member

Why is 3G so important? Is there a situation I might get caught out somewhere with my Kindle and no Wi-Fi access... but I don't already have a ton of books that I can read?

9. Rashmon

Rashmon Member

Old man question here, so don't laugh at me...is there a separate monthly cost for using the internet on these devices? Like another phone bill? or like my monthly cable bill to get my internet and then using a wireless router? is it an addition to my existing phone/cable bill?

10. Scionxa

Scionxa Member

The device uses WI-FI, if you have Broadband (DSL/CABLE/FIBER), you can buy a cheap router at Fry's or Walmart ($30 or so), hook it up to your modem, and any wifi capable device will pick up the signal.

Your internet service provider will not charge you a thing, unless you opt for them to install the router or provide it for you (please don't do this)

11. Rashmon

Rashmon Member

Thanks. Already have the wifi setup for home PC's just didn't know if this device worked off of something else.

12. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Beat the iPad 2>? um no. This is a stripped down blackberry playbook with no bluetooth, cameras, or Android Market access. Amazon will CHOOSE the limited amount of Apps you have access to (i.e. whoever pays Amazon the most). Doesn't seem to have email app. You think Apple is locked down.........Amazon tries to lock you in Amazon's ecosystem is a WORSE WAY.

13. Coach AI

Coach AI Member

If you are in the market for one right now, get the Touch. Newest screen and hardware, good price, the keyboard onscreen should work fine for the little you will use it. Thinner, lighter, better battery - all around an updated version.

14. what

what Member

If the kindle keeps its "paper-display" and improves website browsing legibility, i'm intrigued enough to get one myself.

A book-reader that doubles as a browser is far more intriguing to me than a tablet that doubles as a laptop.

15. Scionxa

Scionxa Member

Not if me and other Android devs have something to say about it. I can almost guarantee you that CM7 is gonna be on this thing, eventually.

16. wakkoman

wakkoman Member

Even if it's able to be rooted, there won't be enough people that will buy it to surpass the iPad in sales.

17. what

what Member

Does this mean that the fire won't be like an e-reader would look?

If that is the case, i don't want.

Now if they come out with an e-ink that can browse, I'm in.

18. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Member

That would be weird

19. Scionxa

Scionxa Member

I never said anything about the iPad sales. I was replying in regards to the device being completely locked down. Sorry, I should've chose better words. Sure, many consumers who aren't that tech savvy wont be able to root it, but if you're looking for tablet functionality, I don't think this is the device for you , unless you modify it :) So I agree that the iPad will always have better sales.

Like I tell alot of people. If you're not that tech savvy, don't go Android. Go iOS. If you are, Android all the way if you're looking to get the most out of your device.

20. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Member

It's your choice but to me it is too cheap to not get 3G. Sometimes if you are reading a book and then want to scan Wikipedia about something u just read.