1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Amazon TV] The Boys Season 2

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Xerobull, Dec 7, 2019.

1. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

This show is really good.

tmoney1101 and tinman like this.
  2. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

It's the 99 cent nuggets to buy the 8 dollar combo meal.

3. CCorn

CCorn Member

Holy **** that third episode.

tmoney1101, Invisible Fan and Genesis like this.
  4. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

I'm kinda disappointed with the second season to be honest but of people I've talked to about it, I might be the only one.

The tension between Hughie and Butcher seems forced. I'm not really sure why they don't get along other than the show needs them to for added drama. I don't get A-Train and Starlight drama either. I know in Season 1 A-Train wasn't exactly the brightest tool in the shed, but he's so damn dumb, gullible and easily intimidated that in order for the story to progress, he has to be that dumb, gullible and easily intimidated. Zero character progression to the guy. He's the same but worse version of his Season 1 self. This is a minor quip about drugs but I don't think they captured what it's like to be on mushrooms at all on even a humorous level with the Deep scenes. It felt more like an 80s D.A.R.E. commercial writer's interpretation of what he thinks it would be like to be on mushrooms, which is odd to me because Seth Rogan has clearly done mushrooms before. The boat crashing into the whale was just a rehash of a similar season 1 joke where the dolphin got splattered so it seemed like hearing a really hilarious joke you already know the punchline to. It didn't hit as hard the second time around.

They may as well make the Deep Wile E. Coyote where he'll be in midair and Oh look there's an anvil he's holding onto as he goes crashing down. Wile E. Coyote foiled yet again! Now you have two characters with zero character development that have been given a healthy amount of screen time but zero payoff. If it's just to drive home that the idea of superheroes is extremely stupid, I already saw that in season 1 and in season 1 they executed that better.

Last quip is over Stormfront. I already knew her character was basically going to be a racist superhero arguably worse than Homelander but I don't think they did a good job setting it up for the viewer to figure that out. Like in Season 1, even before Homelander showed how evil he was, there was still hints of it with his intimidation, Patrick Bateman-like facial expressions that hid ulterior motives and carefully crafted dialogue that implied more sinister undertones. With Stormfront, she's pretty likeable until she starts unnecessarily targeting black people while on a mission and to really hit you over the hammer that she's racist, she says something racist about the asian dude she is supposed to apprehend/kill as well. Like, nothing subtle about it at all and in context, really did come out of nowhere other than trying to be Rian Johnson and subvert expectations. Plus they did some weird scene change after the whale explosion on the beach where they ended up in a heavily populated city even though they were taking a boat to an island in the jungle. How did they end up in a densely populated city for Stormfront to massacre black and asian people? I guess I need to rewatch that scene.

#24 London'sBurning, Sep 5, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2020
    KingCheetah likes this.
  5. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Agree with the tension between Hugh and Butcher they need to tone it down and interaction between Starlight and A-Train is odd -- but in both cases the screen time is so minimal it doesn't bother me much. A-Train is probably the least interesting character I keep expecting him to drop dead. The Deep's trip I don't think they actually gave him mushrooms -- I had the impression they had been possibly giving him something repeatedly (fresca?) then the 'mushroom' drink was actually some weird super powerful drug created by the company. Nothing about his trip was mushroom-like at all then boom full schizophrenic breakdown. I like Stormfront no problem with her character she just flips a switch to full evil mode then can turn it off just as fast.

6. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Watched first episode. Figured out entire season isn't out which blows.

7. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Is the release of a few episodes new to the prime shows? I dont think theyve ever just released part of a season before have they?

8. CCorn

CCorn Member

HBO max did the same thing with raised by wolves. I’m guessing they learned releasing everything at once wasn’t the best way to get new subscriptions.

tmoney1101 and Invisible Fan like this.
  9. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Makes sense.

10. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I don't have a problem with the SF character so far. I mean if she did 180 at the end of the season, that's different, but I think they set her up to be HL foil and handcuff pretty nicely. Her good bad girl bit was weird in the sense that Vought placed her in the 7 out of nowhere, so I was wondering why she's jumped the cue until the last bits + the Nazi revelations.

Overall, I think they're doing decently but I'm not doing any detailed minute by minute dissection on what makes good efficient TV. It's a 10 episode marathon and I'm guessing A-Train will either flip or have some hair brained scheme backfire on him. Starlight does seem muted this season, but I'm not sure how her character would grow with the current situation she's in this early in the season.

I'm used to the Netflix binge treatment where I'm patient enough to digest after everything is done. This has been doing an adequate job, but the 1 week wait will do this to people. Tbh, watching it once per week makes the episodes more memorable than a nonstop blur of images and feels, but they definitely need different styles and mindset to make it work.

If there are fillers with lobotomized characters wasting midseason screentime like 90% of the Netflix shows out there, then maybe I'll join your side, but rn I'm just enjoying the ride and seeing if their character investments pay off.

#30 Invisible Fan, Sep 6, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2020
    London'sBurning likes this.
  11. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

i actually like it and think it makes sense in today’s world. 3 is just enough to make me happy and eager for the next release but not so much that I’m done so quickly and on to the next thing and forgetting about the show pretty quickly.

12. Juxtaposed Jolt

Anyone here an avid reader of the comics / source material? I'm wondering how The Boys take out any superhero, at this point.

The strongest member (The Female) only took down the supe terrorist by virtue of them knowing each other. She'd be toast if she had to 1v1 Stormfront or Homelander, which are probably the 'final bosses' in this world.

Anyway, Queen Maeve's character has taken a bit of a backseat this season, which is interesting. Solid character development with the bedridden character (can't remember her name nor anything about her though).

I think the Hughie / Butcher dynamic is personally fine. Butcher was away from the team for a while and Hughie assumed more responsibilities. Butcher suddenly reappears, everything reverts back to status quo and Hughie is basically left out in the cold; the alpha becomes a beta (again). So I think that's why Hughie is salty. Plus, his and Butcher's ideologies clash, so there's that.

Like others have said, I think the A-Train / Starlight storyline serves to set up something in the future where A-Train probably concocts some weird idea and it backfires on him / The Seven. Overall, I care less and less about Starlight and Hughie's budding romance. Is that just me?

London'sBurning likes this.
  13. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

starlight
    star bright
    the star i see tonight

14. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Episode three had some seriously twisted Laughing out loud moments.

Invisible Fan likes this.
  15. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Also series don't get the buzz like weekly shows do like breaking Bad or GOT those shows get a whole week of conversation and breakdowns witch drives viewership.

Everybody can watch 3 episodes and lets conversation and anticipation build, when you release the whole series some people feel left out of the discussion because of spoilers.

It does also get people to keep subscriptions to finish the series.

16. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I have read the comic these episodes are currently based on and them taking out Supes is my biggest problem so far because "The Boys" had much more backup from the gov in the comics, maybe this changes in season 2.

The romance between Starlight and Hughie is central to the story in the comics.

17. Juxtaposed Jolt

Purely because she provides an "in" to The Seven? Or do they actually like each other, in the comics?

Because I personally don't think there's chemistry between Jack Quaid and Erin Moriarty, the two actors.

18. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Actually in the comic they are deeply in love and it makes sense, that is something else that is off about the 1st season.

I don't actually like Quaid as Hughie he is a little older in the comic and yes they don't have good chemistry.

19. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

I don't care at all about the source material and his age seems fine because she is also young and him not falling in love over the course of three weeks seems logical considering the series opened with his GF getting liquefied.

20. Rodman23

Rodman23 .GIF

Can’t say I haven’t harpooned my share of whales

Bandwagoner likes this.