1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Amazon TV] Fallout

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by daywalker02, Oct 23, 2023.

1. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

https://www.polygon.com/24126632/fallout-tv-nuclear-war-bomb-vault-tec-explainer

2. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

So I got through the season last night and overall liked the show but don't get a lot it. I'm not a gamer and never played the game so I'm guessing a lot o the imagery and references relate to the game.

I'm not going to put it on my list of top shows but was genuinely entertained. I also wasn't too surprised by the reveals as from the first episode I had the feeling that the vaults were going to be much more sinister. I also was left with a lot of questions that I presume will be revealed in the next season(s).

I did figure there was going to be a big reveal about that a lot of the people were going to be spanning the time before the war but the reveal that there were suspended animation pods seemed a little forced. It appears that the ghouls are functionally immortal so was figuring that was ghouls were the key to extending life spans. Was the Cooper Ghoul a first attempt at immortality that got out of hand? And where the suspended animation pods a back up plan?

I would also be interested to see how they explain Moldaver's seeming immortality.

It was clear much earlier in the show that fusion power was widespread and available to many groups as the Knight armor was powered by a fusion core. I don't get was the deal with cold fusion that was being smuggled in the head? A fusion cell that can power a vault with 200 people in perpetuity certainly seems like it could be scaled up to power a whole city.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  3. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Not having played or knowing anything about the games I definitely got the impression that the plan was for Vault-Tec and a consortium of businesses to create an apocalypse where they would be only one's left.

I took this as an indictment of late stage Capitalism where the goal isn't to maintain a Capitalist economy but literally wipe out your competition so you're the only one standing. Bud Askin's character seems to be saying that several times. This also goes to Lucy's father telling her the goal is to have no more factions except your own.

CCorn likes this.
  4. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

The Fallout vaults seem interesting but I was hoping they go more with Dr. Strangelove.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  5. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The references to the game are extensive. But at they same time they weren't intrusive or exclusive to people that didn't play the games. I felt it was all handled really well. Also interesting to note the games, themselves stated out Bioware then switched to Bethesda, so it would have been easy for there to have been breaks in continuity anywhere along the way.