1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Amazon] To Prime or not to Prime?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Garner, Dec 26, 2012.

1. Garner

Garner Member

I'm a bit late to the party, but wanted to know y'all's opinion on Amazon Prime.

Because I don't use a kindle and have little interest in their streaming content, I'd be looking to make my $79 back on shipping and handling alone.

In order to get enough orders through to do so, I would have to purchase household items such as toothpaste and deoderant- an intriguing idea if this could save me errands.

Has anyone here abandoned Target/Wal-Mart for this type of consumer strategy? Overall, did you find amazon competitively priced?

2. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

I was able to get mine for half price again through the student discount, so for me its more than worth it. We did all our Christmas shopping and even bought some household stuff like diapers. Just can't beat free 2 day shipping.

The Amazon Instant Video has gotten a lot better recently as well. Last year they had dick, but now they've added quite a large selection of movies.

Amazon Prime and a Costco Membership are yearly fees that I will gladly pay in order to get the benefits.

1 person likes this.
  3. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

I love Prime. I dont use it for grocery goods as much as I should but if you buy in bulk it saves a ton of money. It's also great for small items that you would trudge to the store for. It's. A dream for gift shopping and Amazon will wrap gifts for an additional $4, which you can then ship directly to the intended recipient's addy.

If you look around online you can probably get a free .edu email address which will allow you to get prime at the student rate of half price.

One alternative to consider is the Target red card, which you can get ad a debit or credit card. Free shipping AND 5% off.

1 person likes this.
  4. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

You're typically not going to save a lot of money buying things on amazon that you can find at the grocery or drug store (especially if you're not buying in bulk), but the convenience of 2 day shipping makes up for that IMO.

I used to use amazon for only a handful of purchases throughout the year. Now that I have prime, I use them at least once every 2 weeks.

1 person likes this.
  5. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

Yup, worth it. I have a Kindle Fire HD though so I like the streaming. I also bought about 70% of my Xmas gifts from Amazon and the 2 day shipping is totally worth it, and on most items for an additional $4 you can get over night shipments. Totally worth it imo, but I use Amazon a lot.

6. 111chase111

111chase111 Contributing Member

I have Amazon Prime and love it. When I was first considering it I asked myself if I ordered enough stuff to warrant the $79 price. However, what you end up doing (and this is all according to Amazon's plan, I'm sure) is ordering almost anything you can from Amazon to get the free shipping. I buy computer stuff and guitar/music stuff from Amazon now where I would have used New Egg or Musician's Friend in the past. You want a pack of gum? In the past you would go to the store, now it's just too easy to order on Amazon.

Also while the Amazon Prime free streaming movies are just okay, the pay per view selection is not bad. We've been using Amazon for that instead of going through DirecTV.

If you can't tell, I'm a fan...

7. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

Love my Amazon Prime. I probably make 4-6 orders a month from Amazon so the shipping alone makes it worth it.

8. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

9. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

PRIME. OPTIMUS

10. wakkoman

wakkoman Contributing Member

Worth it.

You can also share the Prime service with 3 other people so find some friends and have them pay you 20 bucks each. 20 bucks is a hell of a deal for Prime.

11. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I've been using Prime shipping for the past couple of years, I think. The 2-day shipping has been helpful on a few occasions and the $3.99/item 1-day shipping one was useful once. I buy so much stuff off Amazon, it made sense to get it for me. I also got a Roku and watch a ton of stuff off the "free" streaming titles. I'm thinking about possibly ditching cable in the next year because of this combination.

BTW, be careful what you buy on Amazon. A lot of times you're paying more for those small items than you would in a store. You may get "free" 2-day shipping or ground shipping, but you could be paying $5 for a $1 item. Prime is also less valuable in areas where they've decided to charge taxes on purchases. :mad:

12. CourtOfDreams

CourtOfDreams Member

I use it all the time, but still on the fence about the prime. This thread reminded me to cancel my free 30 day trial I had for xmas... So to the OP I must say thanks!

13. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

this. i just got prime this month and would be more than willing to split the cost.

14. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

i was on the fence too but i figured if i canceled my netflix and kept prime, i'll be saving money AND get "free" shipping.

15. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

I was an add-on to my old roommate's account, but once I moved out they cancelled my account. The only way I could have kept it open is if I had all my stuff shipped to his address.

16. wakkoman

wakkoman Contributing Member

That's strange. I'm on a friends account and he lives in a different city, but haven't had any issue. The other add-ons are also fine from what I know. I've even used my account to ship items to different addresses without any trouble.

17. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

Absolutely love it.

18. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Contributing Member

WORTH IT 100 TIMES OVER.

Sorry for the caps, but gotta get the point across. I order 90% of everything I buy from Amazon, and it is glorious. The free video streaming is an added bonus.

19. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

The only thing that sucks if you're in Texas is the tax. :(

It was nice to enjoy the price with no tax plus 2-day free shipping.

20. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

This. I started buying all of my saxophone and clarinet reeds from Amazon because of the free 2nd day shipping. Woodwind and Brasswind (same company as Musician's Friend) offers free shipping but it's slow (goes from UPS ground to USPS where it's classified as 3rd or 4th class mail). Both charge Texas tax so that's not an issue and it's about half the price you can buy reeds locally. Just better to getting it through Amazon if possible.