1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Amazon] The Wheel of Time tv series

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Commodore, Jun 19, 2019.

1. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

The costume design and CGI background quality is still spotty. Maybe they're paying off the sets and the former will improve over seasons.

HBO has a tradition of breaking the bank over tentpole series (Rome before it).

WoT's budget feels more comparable to Witcher on Netflix. There'd still be losses in a flop, but more "acceptable".

TimDuncanDonaut and clos4life like this.
  2. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Just finished it. I liked it. Definitely starts slow, but I'm cool with that.

I have some questions though.

Wtf are the whitecloaks? Just religious zealots who rival the Aes Sedai? What's that about.
    What exactly are the abilities of the Aes Sedai? It seems like they can pretty much do whatever they think up in their head.
    What is Moiraine's tell that allows her to be so easily tracked? Were we as viewers not clued into this tell because it will be revealed later for good reason? Or was it just not revealed because this was a stupid plot device that made no sense?
    Lastly, what's the deal with the jaw of the leader of the red ajah Aes Sedai? Is that plastic surgery or what?

clos4life likes this.
  3. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

The Children of the Light (called whitecloaks by some) are religious zealots who are totally focused on rooting out darkfriends. They think channeling is bad because it was used to cause the breaking of the world, and thus the Aes Sedai, like all channellers are darkfriends.
    Lots of things. Way more than has been shown on the show so far. Think of it basically as magic in other fantasy. What can magic do? Whatever the plot requires.
    I don't think it is anything meaningful. I don't recall anything.
    That is just the way the actress looks. She had the same jawline at least as far back as Les Misérables in 2012.

Haymitch and clos4life like this.
  4. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I started watching this on Monday night. Just saw the first two episodes and so far not really sold on it. I don't know anything about the story so far it seems like a standard fantasy mythos story. I'm also not sold on the characters as I find the acting of many wooden.
    I did find it very interesting one character accidentally killing his significant other and I think that was a very different touch to usual movie fights. I hope that becomes a factor later.

The one thing I do like a lot is the visuals and how it looks is very stunning. I haven't read this thread or much about it to avoid spoilers but was this show shot in New Zealand?

5. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Most of it was shot in Katy.

6. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

That explains why they evacuate at the smallest hint of disaster where ever they go.

clos4life and Invisible Fan like this.
  7. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

Only watched the first 2 episodes but these kids are annoying, especially the red headed guy.

Whats with all the attitude after they saved you and half the village. And why were the two (witchlady and faux samurai) treated so weird when they got to that village? Case in point that girl at the fantasy hot tub declaring she would protect the village from her if needed. But then she does zilch during the muppet attack, only to miraculously catch up to them at the end of ep 2 with shocker an attitude.

giving this series a couple more episode before dropping it if it doesnt improve.

Edit: Episode 3. These "kids" are still annoying. They act more like some entitled ivy league college kids than common villagers.

#247 blahblehblah, Jan 15, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2022
  8. clos4life

clos4life Member

Okay, I didn't really like season 1 but season 2 has been a huge uptick in quality. I know it's only 3 episodes but I think they've found their footing.

9. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

The Krampus creatures are back!

clos4life likes this.
  10. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Thank you for answering all my questions. I owed you a Like 18 months ago. I don't know why I didn't do it then, but I hope I have made up for it now.

clos4life likes this.
  11. clos4life

clos4life Member

The whole season 1 was subpar. Season 2 is looking better so far.

12. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

The first ep was slow and I'm thinking of waiting for the season to finish to watch it all at once. Already forgot so many details, esp the annoying children.

BamBam likes this.
  13. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

It's worth watching if you have read some of the books. They could have had a hit on their hands with so much story if they had put more effort into it.

clos4life likes this.
  14. PhiSlammaJamma

I watched part of episode 4 just to look at it and the cinematography, composition, and cgi all looked first class. They sold me. I was really brought into the scenes. Now I have to go back and watch all the episodes to see if the cast and plot are keeping pace. If so, marketable improvement. Will investigate further despite reservations.

clos4life likes this.
  15. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

It's been pretty good. I've watched up to episode 5 this season. I'm on team Lanfear. She might be awakening something in me.

clos4life likes this.
  16. clos4life

clos4life Member

Episode six was a great interpretation of the books, spot on in so many ways. First time I respected the acting abilities of the Egwene actress. Sad no Perrin or Aviendha in the episode though.

17. clos4life

clos4life Member

Watched the season 2 finale which was banging. Overall I think the rotten tomatoes audience ratings of 60% for season 1 and 82% for season 2 are right on target. The quality of the show has greatly improved in every area. There are still some things I don't agree with creatively, but season 2 was actual quality TV realized unlike season 1. I'm hoping they have another jump in quality in season 3.

18. Salvy

Salvy Member

How woke is this? Looking for a new series to watch, tried Ahsoka and Gen V but both were awful....

19. clos4life

clos4life Member

Very high on the woke scale, lots of women empowerment, tons of LGBTQ+ content, racial diversity in the entire cast, obligatory periodic man bashing.

On the other hand, the main character of the books is still white and male, so there's that.

Salvy likes this.
  20. Salvy

Salvy Member

Appreciate the honest response, maybe I'll give it a shot anyways... I mean, I sat through the entire third season of The Witcher season 3....

clos4life likes this.