1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Amazon] The Wheel of Time tv series

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Commodore, Jun 19, 2019.

1. PhiSlammaJamma

Thought 6 was improved with some twisting and turning for once. Of note, the lattice work for the white tower is excellent and seems to fit in with the tapestry idea very well, whatever that is, because I still have no idea what the wheel is or the fabric thing. Liked Moraine's acting here as her face showed both sides at the same time during the trial. Very hard to pull that off. Think she did. But the end, we've got do something about that end because that was atrocious.

2. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

I was also not a fan of Perrin's Wife. But overall I am happy with the adaptation. I look forward to every episode. I loved the actor that played Matt (sad to see the actor will not be there anymore).

I dislike that every fantasy show is being called the next GOT. They did it with the Witcher and also with this show. I mean I sort of understand it to try and lure in the general audience, but these books were not similar to SoIaF. The first book has some links to LotR, but that becomes less as the series continues.

clos4life and FranchiseBlade like this.
  3. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

They do it to justify the 100M dollar budgets.

Geeks are all at the whims of the mainstream...

4. PhiSlammaJamma

Learned that Sauron had a girlfriend, sacrificed her so that she became that Spider that tried to eat Frodo. That is some f'd up edge of the world shiot.

DaDakota and clos4life like this.
  5. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Descendants of the feline.

6. clos4life

clos4life Member

The ending of episode 6? I liked it, what was atrocious about it? Actually curious.

Otherwise, a good episode as well with a little more intrigue. Honestly, at this point I'm looking past the eye of the world book as it was simply a long prologue to the rest of the series. Heck, you could argue the first 3 books were and they are clearly just covering the first book so far.

Squirtle likes this.
  7. PhiSlammaJamma

For me, it was because they walked 50 yards and not one person noticed he hadn't come with them. Almost Impossible. Then they all start yelling for him to come, almost haphazardly, like No. Don't do it. Oh no, but not one person goes back for their life-long friend despite the fact that the world depends on it. It was silly to me. I don't mind that he was scared, as he has a reason to be scared, but the whole thing would have been sorted out well before the gateway if you ask me. And because it wasn't, you would expect something interesting to have been set up as his last-minute motivation like the law of surprises or something.

#187 PhiSlammaJamma, Dec 13, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2021
    clos4life and Invisible Fan like this.
  8. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

There are dumb moments like this every episode, either pacing or dialogue. Show needs better writers or at least editors.

daywalker02 and clos4life like this.
  9. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

10. Squirtle

Squirtle Member

Didn't bother me any. I was like oh well, he dun got left.

clos4life likes this.
  11. clos4life

clos4life Member

I understand not liking it for the reasons he listed, it's just that if I'm watching high fantasy I'm not going to over analyze the series for competent logic. Still, to each his own.

jiggyfly and Squirtle like this.
  12. DarkHorse

DarkHorse Contributing Member

Y'all know the reason this happened was because the actor for Mat left the show, right? Episode 6 was the last episode filmed before the COVID lockdown, and for very mysterious reasons the actor for Mat did not return. They had to edit him out, and they recast him, which is disappointing, but supposedly everyone on set loves the new guy as well. I guess we'll see.

13. DarkHorse

DarkHorse Contributing Member

The end is definitely epic, it's the late middle books that meander, and they will absolutely trim that fat in the show.

clos4life likes this.
  14. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I was behind on this show but finally caught up last night. My thoughts:

The Good:
    Casting for Siuan is spot on. There is a lot of mentioning in the books about people giving "level looks" or freezing someone with a gaze. I haven't seen that capability of any of the actors or actresses yet (even Rosamund Pike, whom I love). But the actress they got for Siuan Sanche was amazing. She just commanded the screen every time she was on it, which is what you would expect from the Amyrlin Seat.
    I liked the sequence pulling the darkness out of Mat. That was really cool and effective even if it did happen differently in the books.
    Overall feel of Tar Valon is good. They probably spent a bit too much time there but establishing the politics of the Aes Sedai is important.

The Not so Good:
    Some things feel incredibly rushed, and maybe unnecessarily so. A bit more of that in the spoilered book discussion below. I'm really hoping the show finds its stride the rest of the way and into season 2 once they've laid the groundwork of the world. They haven't done a great job of presenting things while keeping it engaging to this point. Really a minor quibble, though.
    I'm pretty disappointed in the actor they cast for Perrin. He hasn't been great and I was really hoping for better since he is my favoriate character so far in the books.

Possible spoilers from book discussion:
    I'm really pretty disappointed that they cut Elyas. The way they've revealed Perrin's wolf abilities in the show feels silly. Worked so much better in the books with him interacting with Elyas. It wouldn't even have necessarily added that much screen time, either. A lot of Elyas' time was while Perrin/Egwene were with the Tinkers. They could have weaved him naturally in with that. Also don't like that his goldeneyes don't seem to be permanent like in the books? Maybe that will change moving forward.

I'm excited about the future of Padan Fain. The actor that they got for him this season looks like he could be extremely creepy if he wanted.

What the hell are they doing with the Waygates? They seem to be totally changing them. No mention of the Ogier stedding where they would be located, apparently they are opened via channeling now instead of just grabbing the trefoil leaf, meaning not anyone can enter (how the hell do Trollocs and Fades get through if it requires channeling?). Apparently it isn't simple to open and close or else they would have just held the waygate open to go talk to Mat instead of freaking out like they did. No mention whatsoever of the black mist that travels through the waygate and kills people indescriminantly. Either they are completely removing that, or Moraine led all these people on which the entire future depends into a significant danger without giving them even the slightest hint of a warning. On top of that, the looks of everything inside the waygate looks vastly different than in the books (paths and floating platforms). Which would be a minor complaint if they hadn't changed everything else as well.

I'm starting to worry that the changes to the book are going to be way more wholesale than I originally expected.

clos4life likes this.
  15. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Should I watch it ? It looks like it belongs on the CW

16. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Moiraine (Rosa) is growing on me, she has a regal voice.

clos4life likes this.
  17. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

[​IMG]

clos4life and Xerobull like this.
  18. clos4life

clos4life Member

Worth a watch imo, just be aware the 1st episode is mostly trash.

Rocket River likes this.
  19. clos4life

clos4life Member

Excellent post. Feel the same on every point you mentioned.

daywalker02 likes this.
  20. clos4life

clos4life Member

Really? I was unaware of this. Makes sense if true.