1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Amazon STUDENT 6-months free, discount on Prime if you upgrade later!

Discussion in 'Hot Deals and Classifieds' started by RedRedemption, Jul 30, 2013.

1. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

THIS LINK IS A REFERRAL LINK:
    Here!

If you are signing up for Amazon Prime student, I'd appreciate it if you used the referral link. I get five bucks. There are no extra hoops to jump through, you lose nothing.

Otherwise you can use this link, non-referral:
    Here!

The beauty of it is that after the six-month trial, you get a 50% discount on Amazon Prime. Amazon Prime is normally $79 a year, with Amazon Student and the eventual upgrade to Amazon Prime you get it at the price of $37 a year!

If you do sign up for student first, then DO NOT UPGRADE TO PRIME NOW. Wait six months, and then upgrade. Unless you are dying to have Prime a bit earlier.

I'm sure a lot of people know about this, but just in case all you Clutchfans that are about to enter college like me are unaware.

1 person likes this.
  2. -Rockets

-Rockets Member

Caused me to buy such unnecessary stuff last year, but worth it nonetheless

3. RedRedemption

I'm also considering upgrading to Prime after six months. The benefits along with the Amazon Video Streaming? Holy crap that's basically like a cheaper Netflix along with the shipping benefits.

4. -Rockets

-Rockets Member

True, I forgot about canceling after the 6 months, but to be honest it's worth its value and I'm happy to continue the service yearly.

If you can't afford the $39 a month, just remember to cancel it after 6 months through Amazon

5. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

Hasn't this been around?

EDIT: nm, read the last sentence.

6. VanityHalfBlack

RedRedem, how old are you bro?

7. RedRedemption

18, soon to be college freshman.

8. VanityHalfBlack

^ 18 ******* that's young. Boy you have a whole life ahead of you, enjoy the hell out of it. I'm in my 30's and I'm a miserable old fool.

9. BigBird

BigBird Contributing Member

I would do this deal. Highly recommend prime to everyone. My family has had it for years...it pays for itself in free 2 day shipping alone

10. Rockets12

Rockets12 Member

30 is old?

Also I did not know about this, thanks! I love all the discounts college students get. $19 for Microsoft office? $150 for AutoCad 2014? Uh yes please.

11. RedRedemption

30 ain't too bad.

12. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

If you have prime, you get a free amazon instant video account. Basically Netflix. If you are a student, it is cheaper to get prime than a Netflix account.

I've had prime for like 3 or 4 years. Love it. even at $79 I renew it (hope to get my student discount again with my masters degree :) )

13. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

It's $39 per year with Student and $79 per year without. Great deal either way, especially if you use Mom and S&S.

14. RedRedemption

How's the video selection though? I already have four months of Netflix thanks to Chromecast.
    I like Netflix, but a lot of its titles are absent from instant streaming.

15. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

Its improved and on par with Netflix now IMO.

1 person likes this.
  16. RedRedemption

That's all I needed to know. Will cancel Netflix after four months and switch to Amazon Prime. :)

17. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

A lot of the same content as far as movies. You wont get the tv series exclusives. Also you get the option to buy new movies and stream them unlike netflix.

1 person likes this.
  18. br0ken_shad0w

br0ken_shad0w Member

FYI, if you're not a student, you can get Prime for ~$15 if you can find three other people willing to sign up with you as "family members" and split up the cost four-ways. Only catch is that the primary account only gets Instant Video.

I used to do this before using my student email and it worked out well enough.

19. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

Bump... I just discovered this today, so I'm betting that there's others here who didn't know.

20. Hustle Town

Hustle Town Contributing Member

Red, are you using CF to make a profit? ;)