1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Amazon Prime]The Lord of the Rings - Series

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by daywalker02, Aug 4, 2021.

1. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

lol I watched all the movies a few weeks ago and at the end thought the same thing. Eagles kept saving them. Why the f didn’t they just use them to start haha

boomboom and Jontro like this.
  2. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

more than likely the "good friend" and discoverer of the "Hobbits".

Or maybe a bum who wandered from California

#42 Invisible Fan, Sep 3, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2022
    Jontro likes this.
  3. Buck Turgidson

Good god the Elves are a bunch of whiny b****es.

No spoiler.

Jontro likes this.
  4. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I’m rooting for Sauron to take these suckers out

Jontro likes this.
  5. Jontro

Jontro Member

if this is a prequel to the lotr movies… then sauron wiped out all teh bleks, gheys, etc.

breh ice

Yung-T and tinman like this.
  6. tinman

Supporting Member

The elves are suppose to look like this
    [​IMG]
    they got the glow
    These Amazon elves look just like white people
    @Reeko
    [​IMG]

#46 tinman, Sep 3, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2022
    Jontro and Salvy like this.
  7. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I watched the first couple of episodes last night and liked it. I'm not sure if I'll watch it weekly or just binge-watch the rest at the end, though.

The whole "meteor man" thing was weird, though. lol. I said "it's gotta be Gandalf!"

boomboom and TimDuncanDonaut like this.
  8. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I caught the first episode and in general liked it but wasn’t close to getting blown away by it.
    I’m not too bothered by the multi racial casting (although Tolkein probably wouldn’t have approved.) I did get annoyed when they seemed to go out of their way to show that they are multi racial and woke with some needless reaction shots of nonwhite extras.

About the look of the show it does look cheaper than the movies and even though it’s 20 years since the movies were made the sets and effects don’t seem as impressive. My guess is they has to do with budget and the director just isn’t as good as Peter Jackson.
    The fight scene with the ice troll just lacked the feel of the fight scene with the troll in Moria. This one to me felt immaterial that It was truly just an actress fighting empty air that was later CGI monster out in post production.

I don’t recall the Hobbits / Harfoots being mentioned at all in the Silmarilion. So This appears to just be shoe horning them in for casual fans. So far they are as annoying as Ewoks to me.

By far the biggest problem I have is an Elf Human romance. I think the actors are doing a good job with it and the guy who plays Anondir even though he’s black looks great as an Elf Warrior and acts with proper gravitas. This though seems like an unnecessary storyline thrown in to attract casual fans who want to see romance. It’s like what Jackson did throwing in a romance between a dwarf and an elf.

For fans who like romance there already is a great Tolkien story they could do in the Beren and Luthien story.

boomboom, Jontro and tinman like this.
  9. tinman

Supporting Member

Mr Frodo
    Is it precious?

rocketsjudoka and Salvy like this.
  10. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

I generally liked it. It is not a woke mess like it could have been. It has departed from Tolkien in some aspects but not others. It is not a game changing series that will be a classic. 7.5/10 for the first two episodes. Enjoyable, and the visuals are fantastic, but nothing ground breaking.

11. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Thought the same, would've been a nice introduction.

Liking the series very much so far, the high production budget really shows.

12. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Claiming that after two episodes of a five season show, heh.

13. TimDuncanDonaut

I was really looking forward to this, but seeing the reaction here and elsewhere seems divisive. Will report back once I check it out. :D

Jontro likes this.
  14. Beezy

Beezy Member

I like Elrond even though he looks like a cross between Doogie Howser and Steve from Stranger Things.

boomboom, Phillyrocket and Blake like this.
  15. Salvy

Salvy Member

Lmao, they need to leave these franchises alone... Smarter more passionate people worked on these films with the only goal in mind being to make a great film or adaptation. None of this woke $hit in the original Star Wars, Lord of The Rings...

Jontro likes this.
  16. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I found the first two episodes incredibly enjoyable. I was entertained. I wanted to watch more. The characters or tidbits that somewhat annoyed me the first episode resolve a fair amount as central and enjoyable part of the overall story.

I’m invested in all the storylines. I think they change through them at an appropriate speed.

great show so far to me.

oh also really enjoyed the intro scene. It’s not coming close to topping Peacemakers intro but really solid.

DaDakota, boomboom and Yung-T like this.
  17. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

The only thing more annoying than wokism is people who won’t shut up about it.

I watched the first ep. Haven’t seen 2 yet so maybe there’s a scene with an Elf burning a MAGA flag or something I dunno but all I saw is the fact that one of the Harfoots is black…. Who gives an F-ing sh$t?? Grow up and be a man instead of a whiny little baby. Black people can be actors in FICTIONAL fantasy stories too.

arno_ed, Phillyrocket and Yung-T like this.
  18. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Onto the show… I found Ep 1 to be like overwhelming… not sure in a good or bad way yet but probably good. I haven’t seen anything that epic and expensive looking in maybe ever. It’s just crazy some of these mega shots which last like 3 seconds. My main complaint is that I wanted it to slow down so not only could I take it in a bit more but so I could follow along better. But in the end this is definitely a series than assumes multiple viewings by a hardcore audience for better or worse.

19. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

I've blocked some of these posters a while ago because they talk the same trash in the majority of their posts and don't even care about the actual content, while spewing rhetorical garbage all day.

Rashmon and dobro1229 like this.
  20. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You missed the part where Elrond explained that in High Elvish there were no gender pronouns and in an establishment scene Feanor, the greatest Elf ever was played by Whoopi Goldberg and the greatest tragedy upon the elves wasn’t the destruction of the two trees but that Morgoth insisted they have binary genders.

Sweet Lou 4 2, dobro1229 and tinman like this.