1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Amazon Echo

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by aeroman10, Nov 6, 2014.

1. aeroman10

aeroman10 Contributing Member

Looks very cool. I submitted an invite request to buy one.
    http://www.amazon.com/oc/echo/ref_=ods_dp_ae

http://www.theverge.com/2014/11/6/7167793/amazon-echo-speaker-announced

1 person likes this.
  2. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Talk to products still suck, imo.
    I won't use them until they are much more reflective of how you talk in real life.

3. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

submitted invite request, looks easily worth 100 bucks.

saying "weather" "time" or "countdown timer" already beats any other interface.

4. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

It's not just what you have to say, it's how the information is relayed back to you.

It's still feels completely non natural to me.

So I guess this comes in handy when I need to know the time and for some reason don't have my watch, my phone, or any of the other clocks around me on?

1 person likes this.
  5. aeroman10

aeroman10 Contributing Member

I think it would be very useful to have around the kitchen / living room area. Almost daily we have a questions about something...looking for a phone number, etc...and have to get on a computer or phone. If this can help us do those things hands free then its worth $100 (for prime members)

6. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

For time a clock is way faster, that wasn't an example. For temperature, rain forecast, timer, and other things depending on how smart it is, not having to look at a device is great. If it can even read your daily calendar, text to speech emails, might be really useful. Plus it will stay in the same spot and always ready to go unlike a Google or Siri.

edit: Well massive fail on my part, I did say "time" I should have said day/date.

#6 Bandwagoner, Nov 6, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2014
  7. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

So it starts... :(

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  8. Eric Riley

Eric Riley Contributing Member

I got an invitation to buy this thing and it expires tomorrow. Wondering if I should get it.

9. BiGGieStuFF

BiGGieStuFF Contributing Member

I would. They seem to be going for more than 100 bucks so after a week of testing it, you could probably sell it for at least or a little more than what you bought it for.

I wish it was tied into my google account instead of my amazon. I'm already invested in that eco system.

10. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

I think this is going to fail.
    I could be wrong, but shelling out $100 to be able to talk to your electronics, rather than maybe two or three touchscreen presses to get what you want on your phone seems a bit too much.

11. TheMystery008

TheMystery008 Member

Technology might be ahead of its time.

12. eric.81

eric.81 Contributing Member

I use the "OK GOOGLE" feature on my phone constantly and I'm usually amazed by how accurate it hears my request and how "human" the responses are.

I think this technology (in general) is leaps and bounds ahead of where it was even 3 - 5 years ago.

13. chow_yun_fat

chow_yun_fat Contributing Member

Is it really that quick to respond to answers or did they cut out the wait? If there's next to zero wait, I could see it being something worth purchasing.

14. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I'm sure the Echo takes significantly less time to respond to answers than it's taken you to provide answers regarding vivi.

15. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

Ugh, sounds like hell (hate touchscreens' usability). There's also the time to walk to pick up your phone (which may be charging) and if it's something that requires typing search terms, well you can just kill me now (though I guess you would just speak it into your phone).

Seriously though, I would be in the market for something like this as it becomes more proven with more competition and the features become a bit more clear.

Definitely see the advantage of walking into a room and saying "shuffle pretentious hipster playlist, turn the treble to 11" and then awkwardly attempting to dance where I stand.

#15 DCkid, Jan 5, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2015
  16. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

This is redundant if you have an android device. Google search engine with Google now is far superior to anything Amazon conjures up. BTW, half the search queries you perform on this is going to direct you to a "Based on this search query, how about you consider these amazing products on Amazon.com" result. It's just a gimmicky device that is another way for Amazon to get you to shop more on their site, which I have no problem with as I shop on Amazon plenty. But don't be fooled into thinking it's anything more than a a glorified Amazon click bait device as are all Amazon devices.

17. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Any new android device with the google now launcher allows you to go directly to a speech to text search query by just turning the screen on and saying "okay google" without unlocking the device. If the device is plugged in you can activate the search without even needing to awaken the device

18. BiGGieStuFF

BiGGieStuFF Contributing Member

Just wait until the 2nd gen android wear watches have a speaker. =)

19. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Where's the cheapest place to buy one right now?

20. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

There's this one place called Amazon.com. Not sure if you've heard it of it, but it's a good site.