1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Amar'e to spend 50k a week to train with Hakeem

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by ktbballplaya, Jul 22, 2012.

1. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

Despite his vast physical advantages, his post game was downright terrible prior to this last season.

2. BrentStl

BrentStl Member

All I can think of regarding Amar''''''''''''''''''e is a Ron White line:

"That boy's got a lotta quit in him."

3. likestohypeguy

"If a man does his best, what else is there?"
    -George S. Patton

I'm not saying he'll be able to actually learn much less execute Dream's moves in games, but this won't be a complete waste of everyone's time. If Hakeem keeps it focused & spends more time on less material instead of trying to cover too much too fast, he'll definitely pick a couple of things up- Amare actually functions at an extremely high level for an adult living with mild mental r****dation. It's not his fault that he hasn't really developed his game, because he does try hard & does what he's told for the most part. At this point it will be worth it if he comes away from the week having learned something, anything. He's got the talent, the athleticism, and the want-to. You have to give him credit there.

And he's learning from the best ever now, so he can only get even better.

There's just one thing wrong (aside from the fact that Dream should be on OUR payroll exclusively, teaching Rockets, not other teams' players!) that doesn't sit right with me about this- I hadn't heard anything about Kobe or Dwight being charged a $50k "training fee" in the past. I hope this isn't Hakeem taking advantage of Amare's condition. i'm going to give him the hometown benefit of the doubt here & assume Kobe et al. also paid the $50k, & that part just wasn't highlighted as much before, in their stories.

4. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

I think the Dwight session was free.

5. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Jeremy Lin charges Hakeem $50,000 a week to learn how to be in the media spotlight.

6. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

The $$ goes to charity.

From the article linked below...

"To learn from Olajuwon, James agreed to donate an undisclosed amount to Rutherford's Elite Bahaman Education Program, a charity in which Rutherford brings young athletes from his native land to Houston to attend school with the hope of getting a college scholarship."

http://www.foxsportsflorida.com/03/...Hakeem-Olaju/landing_heat.html?blockID=678080

7. Prince

Prince Member

i don't think he's capable of moving like Hakeem.

8. MamboRock

MamboRock Member

Amare needs Hakeem's warrior mentality to go up and contest every shot without the worry of being posterized. But I doubt mentality can be taught and learned though. A waste of money and time in my opinion.

9. HMMMHMM

HMMMHMM Contributing Member

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/_G-2rBfkLiY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

1 person likes this.
  10. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

^^^^^^^

Javal McGee found the place!

Looks like Hakeem gave Amare his 80s shorts as a souvenir.

11. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

"Houston is a beautiful city. Trying to find Jeremy Lin, he's no where to be found" :grin:

12. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Amare Stoudemire on moves he's working on w/ Hakeem Olajuwon: "going 2 catch a lot of my opponents off guard. Going 2 be a great year 4 me."</p>&mdash; Mark Berman (@MarkBermanFox26) <a href="https://twitter.com/MarkBermanFox26/status/235132140910690305" data-datetime="2012-08-13T21:54:05+00:00">August 13, 2012</a></blockquote>
    <script src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

does that mean he is willing to come over after his NY gig? ;)

14. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

My wife's nephew is friends with a member of Amare's posse and he and my son are meeting Amare tonight at wherever he is staying.

I just found out about this after getting home from work.

15. ParaSolid

ParaSolid Member

Nice! Get the inside scoop, sir!

16. Pringles

Pringles Member

I saw him working out at citycenter Lifetime yesterday. Supposedly McGee was also there, but playing ball.

Amare is huge!

17. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

A friend of mine saw him at City Centre with a Hakeem jersey on. He took a pic with him.

Edit: Just read the post above lol

18. ubigred

ubigred Contributing Member

Two silly posts in this thread.

One challenging Lebron's IQ

The other: use of the word posse.

19. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

He was starstruck. Don't want to say much more other than Amare will probably be coming back to Houston again and my son might get a chance to train with him.

Would be incredible if it happens.