1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Amare Stoudemire an All-Star?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by coolpet, Dec 31, 2002.

1. Just B

Just B Member

Actually, Marbury still wouldn't make it even in the East. Look at the Eastern guards: Tracy McGrady, Paul Pierce, Allen Iverson, Michael Jordan, and Jason Kidd. Marbury has no chance of making it over any of them. So unless he steps his game up a level or two, I don't see Marbury playing in another ASG for a looooong time!

2. basketball

basketball Contributing Member

I think Marbury lose all his credibility when he said Garnett is not even close to Amare. After all, Garnett is leading the league in double double. The guy can pass, shoot from inside, outside, play excellent defense and probably the top 3 players in the league. He had a complete package. Look at his teammate around him this year (4 average players at best) and they still have a winning record at 17-14. Amare got 2 good players with him in Marbury and Marion and still loss to Garnett's team. I think this is more of a personal feud between Marbury and Garnett and Marbury just tried to use Amare to put Garnett down. So we shouldn't be upset regard his comments about Amare and Yao. If he can place Amare above Garnett then placing Amare ahead of Yao doesn't seem as bad.

3. ktheintz

ktheintz Member

I'm actually sort of impressed with Amare. Not just his play, but at his tender age and rookie status, he's already attracted a Jack Haley type of sycophant, in Stephon Marbury.

4. SLA

SLA Member

He is not an All Star, though.

It's sad that his mother is in jail and he is without a father. And he moved to 6 different high schools in 2 years...and he didn't even play high school basketball that much. And I think he was held back a grade or two at least one time. He has survived.

5. SmoothOperator

SmoothOperator Contributing Member

I'm not convinced that Amare's all that yet. I'd love to see a shot chart from that 38 point game. How many shots were dunks? The few times that I've seen him play he looks like he can't score outside the paint. Let's wait and see what happens when team defenses adjust to him.

Boy, wish I could see what Yao could do with 24 shots in a game...

6. hikanoo49

hikanoo49 Member

Amare has been impressive but he is NO WHERE near Yao for Rookie of the Year considerations. People are always just trying to hype things up.

Yes. Amare had a good game. Keep in mind Marion was hurt that game which gave Amare a lot more shots. But if you compare his season stats to Yao, Yao CLEARLY is superior in almost everyway including pts, blks, fg%, ft% and pretty close in rebound. This is including the 10 games in the beginning of the year where Yao did very little.

Amare's game is still extremely rough around the edges. No jumper. No legitimate "go-to move". I suspect that he will improve these areas in the future but at this point, he is not in the same league as our Yao.:mad:

7. Truth

Truth Member

1. Marbury was comparing Amare to Garnett at age 20, so it wasn't like he said Amare is better than the KG we know and hate.
    2.I think Amare actually could make the All-Star Team in the East. Besides A.Walker (who is overrated) who else is there?
    3. Yao Ming is better than Amare Stoudamire, the only thing that is keeping Amare name in the ROY race is his FREAKISH athleticism, other than that he's the one that's not even close.
    4. Why is this thread in here, this seems like NBA Talk to me.

8. NYKRule

NYKRule Member

Jermaine O'Neal, Shareef Abdur-Rahim, Ben Wallace, and Kenyon Martin are all better than him.

9. slinslin

slinslin Member

Kenyon Martin isn't better than Amare, not even close.

Amare pushed him around when they played.

Ben Wallace is listed as a center.

Besides that Marbury said that Amare played like an allstar lately. Try 24ppg 11rpg 60%FG the last week, 3 games.

Marbury also said in there rookie year Amare to KG is like Jordan to Elie. At the same point of the season KG averaged 6ppg and 3rpg or something like that. And he didn't dominate like Amare in the paint and didn't have the killer instict that Amare has and Jordan had, he still doesn't have it.

The allstar game is crap. Look at the starters it will probably only one player of the West's top6 teams starting and that is Tim Duncan.

Marbury will make the allstar game if the Suns are still 3-5 in the West, and Marion too.

10. kobo

kobo Member

Crap? Why do you even bother talking about SteppedOn's chances of being in it then? Jealousy!

11. NYKRule

NYKRule Member

Martin had 2 good all-around games against Stoudemire, regardless, I think it is very stupid to compare players based on what they do in 2 games. Martin has shut down some of the best players in the league on a consistent basis. Go and see how Martin has handled some of the best offensive players in the game, including Tracy McGrady (yes, he defends him).

12. NYKRule

NYKRule Member

13. DavidS

DavidS Contributing Member

It's much more difficult to be the center of attention
    (pun not intended), and deliver, than to be a supporting
    player and put up the same numbers.

Yao has to deal with the presure of playing
    well every night. Stoudemire doesn't.

We'll see how well Stoudemire does when
    he's the leader. It's easy to call yourself the "the man"
    when you really aren't "the man."

Stoudemire has not presure to deliver now.
    Yao does.

Teams are scouting the Rockets all the time
    to find ways to slow down Yao.

Stoudemire hasn't received that treatment yet.
    Just wait until teams start to scout him and exploit
    his weaknesses like they do to Yao on a nightly basis.

14. slinslin

slinslin Member

blabla

Every team scouts every team to find ways to stop them. Other teams are not ignoring Amare because they don't scout him or anything like that. He is averaging 15 and 10 for a month now and is regularly getting special treatment. Double teams, players who try everything to get him out of the game like Lorenzen Wright throwing a punch or wanting to posterize the hs kid.

NYKRule, Ben Wallace is listed as a center on the ALL STAR BALLOT, which is what we are talking about. Therefore he wouldn't be competition for Amare.

15. DavidS

DavidS Contributing Member

Then, why doesn't Amare get more attention
    than Yao?

And please don't say it's because of the first
    China player taken 1st in the draft...

Come on, why?

16. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

Blah, Blah, Blah, Blah, Blah, Blah, Blah, Blah, Blah,

17. RocketsFun2003

Easy.

Put only Yao and Stoudemire on the court and let them play.
    If this cannot settle who is better, then let each choose a teammate and play again. Long before 5 players have been on the same team, I am sure Yao will beat Stoudesmire to the extent he cannot find where is the exit of the arena for him to walk home.

18. jeremyang2002

jeremyang2002 Contributing Member

Hi,Slinlin or "Amare",why wasting time here?
    Just practice more and wait for next game against Yao.

19. SLA

SLA Member

lol slinslin. Finally someone knows you. It's OK. Is there an online Suns community? You should start one since you're so supportive of them.

ANYWAYS.

KENYON MARTIN WORSE than AMARE STOUDAMIRE? MAN! Has anyone seen Kenyon Martin playin lately? I would love him to be on our team....

20. Darrinlane

Darrinlane Member