1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Amare Stoudemire a Rocket? The Rockets will try but come up short

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by scola4, Feb 6, 2009.

1. agentkirb87

agentkirb87 Member

I think the 2 year window thing is overblown. Other teams talk about this "window" to win a title because they throw all of their eggs in a basket and hope it leads to a title. For Houston, Battier is the only bad contract that lasts past 2010. We can take 2 shots at a title, and then reload and try again with Yao and different players.

2. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I don't think anyone's overrated Hinrich, except for the Bulls, when they gave him that contract. He's a starting quality point, but yes, a second tier starting point. He would be a big improvement over Rafer, but at what cost to aquire him in trade, even if we bit the bullet on his contract?

So you 're astonished, DD? Who would you give up for Hinrich? Brooks? Don't you think the Bulls would want a point in a deal? Do you seriously think they might want Alston? Who else do we toss into a trade? Even if we're willing to take Hinrich's contract, we won't get the guy without paying a price.

Crash, I agree that Hinrich is a big improvement over Alston, but how do we afford him and who do we give up? That's what I'm saying in the replies above. The same would be said of Amare. Who do you give up? Right now, we're paying much less than half of his salary to cover the position, and cover it better than we have in years. I'm surprised with the interest in Amare and not surprised at all about the interest in Hinrich. I was high on him when there was talk about a replacement for Rafer during the last couple of seasons (yes, endless talk about replacing Rafer, well deserved!), and I would dearly love to see Alston in another uniform. I grew tired of his inconsistancy a very long time ago, like our fearless leader and countless others here.

How would we get either one of the guys? Realistically? So far, I haven't seen a realistic scenario that addresses that. Maybe I missed it. I've been busy, thus the late reply.

3. Almu

Almu Contributing Member

Which makes perfect sense he comes here, right?

4. ctry2582

ctry2582 Member

Yeah, that's the thing.

If the Rockets aquire Amare, where's the harm?

He's going to opt out in '10, so, the worst case scenario is we have his numbers come off the books, and really reload.

People knock Amare for not playing defense or whatnot, but, what Rockets defense nowadays? The Rockets don't play D. It's been evident for awhile now.

THere's no point to trade for a guy like Hinrich for example, because his contract is bad, and doesn't really upgrade the PG position. Not enough so that pushes the Rockets over the top.

Aquiring Amare doesn't push the Rockets over the top either, but, he definitely doesn't make the Rockets any worse off then they are now.

The incentive though, is his contract.

5. champagneben

champagneben Member

Does anyone remember how good Chris Webber was under Adelman's system? Amare reminds me of Webber in more ways than one. I think it's a positive risk, if only for the lone fact that we know this Rockets team isn't going anywhere, especially after having not gone anywhere through 50 games.

The only team to ever win a title by underachieving through the first 50 games was the '94-'95 Rockets, and chances are against that this phenomenon will ever happen again. The least we can do is start fresh in February and rehash things in October.

Getting back to Amare, does anyone remember that this is the same kid who was the most dominant player in the whole damn league toward the end of the '07-'08 season?

A positive risk folks.

6. iloveming

iloveming New Member

I think sun will be interested in this:

Artest + McGrady + Head for Amare + Jason + Barbosa

McGrady means no more than Amare to Sun but Artest can help the D, Anyone think so?

7. engr_alex

engr_alex Member

kinda like my proposal which was:

mcgrady + battier + landry for jrich + barnes + amare.

rockets get amare. barnes comes in to replace battier as our hard nosed defender. jrich comes in as our veteran SG to replace tmac.

mcgrady gets to play with shaq and is somewhat of an upgrade over jrich. battier's a better 3pt shooter than barnes and still defend. and they get a young PF in landry to replace amare.

unfortunately, phx wants expiring deals (artest most likely) and young players (we only have landry and AB). so it's hard to see this trade working.

8. verti89

verti89 Member

Barnes...hmm I seem to recall a situation with him and...oh well our ENTIRE TEAM earlier this year...that'd be like putting Big Ben and Ron Ron and the idiot Detroit fan on the same team...

9. #96in the #

#96in the # Member

look all im saying is that we are probably not gonna get amare. Because look at the rosters. Im not saying wether we shouldnt trade artest. But im saying which players are going to go with him. :D :D

10. #96in the #

#96in the # Member

good job