1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Amare Stoudemire a Rocket? The Rockets will try but come up short

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by scola4, Feb 6, 2009.

1. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

Are you seriously trying to marginalize Tony Parker? You yourself admit that he's a good PG. His two MINOR weaknesses are more than offset by his incredible strengths. Rondo's a very solid PG as well even since his rookie year. You've got a point about Jason Williams, though.

We're not saying a great PG will guarantee anything. But it's obvious the most important issue in regards to the roster. Nash may not have a championship, but at least he's been part of championship caliber teams. And Paul just came into the league a few years ago, it's a little unfair to expect him to win a championship with the young and injured rosters he's played with.

We don't even need a HOF point guard. We just need someone competent! Parker and Rondo would be a hell of a lot better than the crap we've got now.

2. hkcosser

hkcosser Member

Artest is a good supplement rocket, at least the courage to win this is the case above,Stoudemire then?You look at the same time the Phoenix big man

3. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Agreed totally on the PG situation and i've been saying the same things too. Although, I think it's a done deal if we offered Artest/whatever for Hinrich. The Bulls know they've sunk too much in what's looking like a shaky investment in Hinrich. They would probably relish the opportunity to take back an expiring contract and essentially erase the mistake they made by giving Hinrich that lengthy contract.

Where did this Bibby talk come from? In case some of you haven't noticed the Hawks are good. 'Good' as in going to make the playoffs. Bibby happens to be a huge part of that. Sure, he's expiring and I suppose the "Get something now before he walks away" theory exists but would you REALLY give up Brooks to get him for half a season? This, of course, assuming the Hawks don't laugh this off the table in the first place. Plus, given that I watch nearly every Hawks game trust me when I tell you it wouldn't be the world-altering upgrade some of you think it would be. Bibby is a statue offensively, never gets to the line, doesn't really create shots for others and is a pretty bad defender. His shooting/basketball IQ would be nice but you have to factor in what you're giving up.

We're not getting Bibby, we're not getting Nash, Hinrich's situation is radioactive.....who else is there? Andre Miller is in the same boat as Bibby. I agree, i'm curious who this "can't miss" PG is. If you really think it's Hinrich you aren't considering the risk/reward of the situation.

4. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

I agree. I've stated I don't think we can land him tons of times.

I say getting an all-nba type PF when your current PF combo is worse than every contending team in your conference is a huge upgrade. It may not help the team as much as upgrading the starting PG...since he simply sucks...but to go from the lower half of your conference to potential all-nba player at a position is an upgrade any way you slice it.

What bunch of good role players? I only count one (Scola). Again, this is assuming you don't think Artest will stay.

5. choujie

choujie Member

That 2010 free agent thing is also really overrated.No matter how many franchise players are available, getting one through free agency is harder than getting a championship. They are either resigned or got a lot assets in return.

Orland had Dwight Howard and loads of money, they end up with Rashard freaking Lewis for 20 million.

6. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

IceHouse.

I don't think Amare and his weak knees is all world at PF...I think without Nash, he is a good PF.

If he were a Tim Duncan sure, but he isn't...he is a better Scola/Landry...he does everything they do, but better.

The problems with the Rockets are on the perimeter and specifically at the PG spot.

Getting Amare is a chance to rip off ignorant fans into buying tickets thinking the team will actually succeed when in reality, it is a piss poor band aid at best.

DD

7. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

This is a very valid and important point.

8. TXRoxBBall

TXRoxBBall Member

Here's the other problem with Amare, he's not been the leader on his team. If we are going to bring in another high priced player, they need to be a leader or this current club is gonna cut their legs out from under them like they have Rons. It's about playing with TMac and it will take a very special player to do that. I don't think Amare is that guy.

9. hkcosser

hkcosser Member

I think that the Rockets currently have to wait,
    1、Dude really changes
    2、If you can not change,Let Yao with 300 pounds to re-take him to the injury list,Until this summer, the transaction

10. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

I actually like the team as is currently composed and think we have a shot with Artest, but I realize I'm in the very fringe minority on that.

However, it seems that the team is intent on unloading Artest to receive some value for him. It's clear I don't have nearly as high an opinion of Hinrich/Bibby as you do. I don't think either of them helps us more than Artest and I certainly don't think either is worth our future flexibility.

I do agree with you that Amare Stoudemire probably doesn't improve this team's chances this year. But if we're intent on dealing Artest, I haven't seen a better deal, taking all things into consideration.

I would prefer to just hold on to Artest but that's clearly not happening.

11. Icehouse

You are right, but that's not really a valid comparison. There has never been a summer with this many quality dudes available...even outside the big 3 or 4. In the example you just gave, Lewis was arguably the best FA that summer. Tons of guys in his caliber will be available in 2010.

12. DaDakota

Supporting Member

If it means taking on Amare, and basically gutting the team to do it, then I agree with you.

Roll the dice on the team you put together this summer.....

And let me clarify about Hinrich, I do not think he is an all world player, he is a 2nd tier starting PG, but with Tmac, Yao, Scola etc....a 2nd tier PG that shoots well, makes this team better.

Can you imagine how good it would be to see Hinrich getting those wide open 3pters instead of Rafer?

Teams would have to honor him.........that to me makes the Rockets a much better team with trading better talent in Artest for a better fit in Hinrich.

DD

13. choujie

choujie Member

Amare is overrated as all-nba type PF. Reality is he's an upgrade on offense, no upgrade on defense, downgrade on hustle. Rox PF situation isn't too bad, the upgrade is marginal. But the loss of bench will be big if we can get Amare. That evens out.

Again, we won't get amare just for Artest+Scola, if we get him, that means we'll lost a lot assets. Plus If you really want to trade Artest, we might get a decent PG in return, which benifits Rox more than Amare.

14. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

I just think if you can get good to very good players , you do it. I think pg is a problem, but if we do our pg's like we do our pf's its the same. 20ppg 7 asst, those numbers combined make decent pg #. Just like the 22-13 Scolandry gets equals Amare's, but we know that Amare is just better. He rolls to the hoop better, he finishes, better, he's a better jump shooter,ft shooter, draws more fouls, everything. If it were a good pg the Rox could get that better than getting Amare, I'm with it, but its not. Bibby is on a winner, Hinrich isn't worth killing 2010, and the man they shouldve gotten is in cleveland. So the upgrade is Brooks playing more.

15. Icehouse

He was very good without Nash. I might have gone for that argument before he developed the legit jumper that he has now. Playing next to Yao and Stacy, he should get just as many open looks as he does now. He is no longer the Amare that gets 75% of his points on fast break dunks.

I agree with you on the teams problems. I just don't see how we can obtain a PG with what we have. It seems like your most reasonable acquisition could be Hinrich....and I don't see how anyone can say he is worth what his salary is. He is an upgrade, but an overpaid one. With that being said, if you can land an all-star caliber PF for an expiring contract, and average PF and a wingman that can arguably be replaced by the dude that barely made the team (Wafer), then that's a steal every day and twice on Sunday. Now if you start talking throwing in multiple picks and all that....then hell no. But a star big for dudes on the team not named Yao or Stacey....hell yeah!!!

16. choujie

choujie Member

in 2010, escept Joe Johnson, a lot will depend on players to terminate their contracts. Lebron, Wade, Bosh will do it, but I see them resign with current team to get a bigger salary. I don't buy that Lebron to NY hype at all.

Many other playrs are not likely to termintate thier max contracts looking for uncertainty or get less money in a different city.

17. TheGreat

TheGreat Member

Come on DD, if we trade Ron Artest and Landry for Amare, its basically like trading Landry for Amare because Ron has not worked for us. Furthermore, Amare would be a perfect fit here because he can spread the floor with his mid range shot, and WE NEED an athletic big. Scola would be amazing off the bench getting the C/PF minutes and Amare can also play CENTER.

We can also have Amare play with the 2nd unit and have a fast break game. I can see Brooks to Amare alley oop, I dont know, I'm just tired right now.

18. DaDakota

Supporting Member

If it is just Artest + Landry, then maybe....but what if they want more rotational players?

I mean at some point the deal looks bad.......giving up more than 2 rotational players would be a bad move IMO.

And honestly, I don't think the team is that much better with even just an Artest + landry deal.....we need perimeter help more than we need an upgrade at PF.

DD

19. TheGreat

TheGreat Member

Well, I did this trade on my 2K game (Head, Landry, Artest for Amare) to see how the rotation would look and this is how it looked.
    PG Alston 28 minutes
    SG McGrady 36 minutes
    SF Battier 30 minutes
    PF Amare 36 minutes
    C Yao 36 min

Bench:
    Scola 24 minutes
    Brooks 20 minutes
    Wafer 16 minutes
    Barry 10 minutes
    Hayes 4 minutes

We still look pretty deep imo and I do believe a TMac and Amare pick and roll would be very deadly as well. Whats you think?

20. Icehouse

No it won't. You are thinking of the tier 1 studs like Wade, Amare, LeBron, Bosh. There are plenty of dudes that will just be regular free agents like:

http://www.***************/Story.asp?story_id=9031

So, let's break into a few categories. First up, let's start with the stars whose contracts expire following the 2009-2010 season and will then become honest-to-goodness free agents:

Joe Johnson
    Ray Allen
    Manu Ginobili
    Marcus Camby
    Tracey McGrady
    Shaquille O'Neal
    Brad Miller
    Stephen Jackson
    Jermaine O'Neal
    Mike Miller
    Rip Hamilton

This next list consists of contracts that are set to expire in 2010, but the player may choose to opt-out following the 2008-2009 season:
    Steve Nash (owed $13.1 million in 09-10)
    Carlos Boozer (owed $12.7 million in 09-10)
    Chris Paul (owed $6 million in 09-10 / almost certain to sign an extension before becoming unrestricted)
    Memo Okur (owed $9.0 million in 09-10)
    Hedo Turkoglu (owed $7.4 million in 09-10)

In addition to the superstars listed above, these 'second-tier' players are set to hit the open market as well:
    Ben Wallace
    Larry Hughes
    Zydrunas Ilgauskas (option to opt-out after 09/10 season)
    Anderson Varejao (option to opt-out after 09/10 season)
    Al Harrington
    Darko Milicic
    Udonis Haslem
    Jamal Crawford (option to opt-out after 09/10 season)
    Eddy Curry (option to opt-out after 09/10 season)
    Amir Johnson
    Derek Fisher
    Raja Bell
    T.J. Ford (player option - owed $8.5 million in 10/11)
    Travis Outlaw
    Bruce Bowen
    Earl Watson
    Luke Ridnour
    Matt Harpring
    Quentin Richardson
    Damien Wilkins