1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Amare Stoudemire a Rocket? The Rockets will try but come up short

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by scola4, Feb 6, 2009.

1. Sooner423

Sooner423 Contributing Member

Yeah, West is the best jump shooting PF in the league right now.

I don't think Rafer's the biggest problem anymore. I think there's just too many ball stoppers on the floor to run Adelman's offense effectively. Of course, an upgrade at the point would certainly be a good thing.

2. kaocsaephan

kaocsaephan Member

I'm so cited. I think the Rockets will pull it off.

It was all a set up from the beginning! McGrady would suck on purpose and slack off and the Rockets would underachieve. Other teams will not take us serious and would be willing to trade players like Amar'e to us without asking for McGrady or Yao - big mistake. McGrady will instantly go back to 25/7/7 and Amar'e, 22/10, combined with Yao's 21/10 and we are guarenteed WCF! Rick Adelman is a genius.

Rafer
    T-Mac
    Battier
    Amare
    Yao

Still, if it doesn't work out, we could trade either Amare for top tier players like Billups. Get it done!

Artest + Scola + Brooks...and whatever

3. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

I know. The guy gets to the ft line which means he's attaxking the defense and not settling for jumpers.

4. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

I may be in the minority, but if we give up too much and upgrade a position of strength and ignore the glaring elephant in the room, I think the team stays in nuetral.

PG....say it with me.....PG...this team does not need a better PF....Amare is better than Landry and Scola but his production is not better than those two combined....

And, he needs touches....lots and lots of touches.

I don't think he fits......

This looks like Les and Morey getting excited about the next shiny object and fails to look into how he would fit on the team.

Seems like a Mark Cuban Shiny object move to me.

Yes, he could play Webber's role, but we have guys in Scola and Landry who can do that too......maybe not as well, but not that far apart.

If you somehow got Nash instead the ENTIRE team would benefit.

Amare does not benefit the entire team, and he can bolt next year.

No thanks,

DD

#324 DaDakota, Feb 6, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2009
  5. hkcosser

hkcosser Member

Rockets win two weeks ago the team has been formed on the prototype,
    But two weeks after the game still should not allow fans to see the wrong reasons,
    Until the transaction with Artest and Scola for Stoudemire
    You will find a rocket to win has become a joke

6. Classic

Classic Member

Hypothetically, because I don't think this is going to happen, but does anyone see Tmac and Amare developing chemistry together? Or better yet, does anybody see Yao and Amare developing chemistry together?

7. thewaterox

thewaterox Contributing Member

Yes PG continues to be the weakest spot on the Roster. Should have landed Billups for Mac when they had the chance. Look at Denver now!

8. DaDakota

Supporting Member

Amare won't make a hill of beans difference.

You replace Scola/Landry with a better version and the team is still crap on the perimeter especially on defense.

I pray that Morey does not turn into one of those over tinkering GMs who doesn't look at the overall picture but rather thinking you just get great players and they automatically work.

And Amare is a very good player, but I don't think he is a great one....he is not on Tim Duncan's level.....he is more of a Chris Webber type.....a very very good player, but not a superstar talent.

WE NEED PERIMITER HELP....a guy that can help others on the team get easier looks....a 2nd penetrating player.

We do not need a 15% upgrade at PF...that doesn't change the dynamic...and frankly.....it is just stupid.

DD

#328 DaDakota, Feb 6, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2009
  9. iconoclastic

iconoclastic Member

I agree with you that PG is our biggest weakness and could surely use an upgrade. But...

Neither Paul nor Nash have championships. Who was the starting PG for the most recent champions? Rajon Rondo, who can't shoot from the outside at all. The champs before that- Tony Parker, a good point guard who also can't shoot from the outside and plays below average defense. Let's look even farther back- White Chocolate on the Heat in 2006, a younger Tony Parker in 2005. If you look back in NBA history, more champions were led by great wingmen or centers vastly more often than great point guards. They're not the be all and end all of great basketball teams.

10. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

Bingo! We won't go anywhere with Amare/Yao with the crap we have in the backcourt. Fix the PG position and life will be much easier for the four other players on the floor. We can't afford to spend 30+ million on our frontcourt alone and get point guards from the bargain bin.

11. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

I think everyone here agrees that this team needs a point guard, but no one has mentioned one that is available and attainable.

Is Kirk Hinrich enough of an upgrade for this team to destroy the flexibility we otherwise would have had? The answer is an emphatic 'no.' Does his presence on this team (minus what it takes to acquire him) gives us enough of a chance to contend to merit stringing our long term flexibility? Again, no. Would the rebuilding Bulls have any interest in Ron Artest? No.

So who is this point guard everyone here is clamoring for? Mike Bibby? Is half a season of Mike Bibby worth Aaron Brooks (who you would have to include in a deal with Artest to make it worthwhile for ATL)? No. Is Mike Bibby good enough to warrant resigning him long term this summer (after trading assets for him this year) and destroying our future flexibility? God no.

I think trading for Amare could potentially be disastrous. But if you already think this team isn't going anywhere this year, you have to love the future flexibility a deal like this would bring. You maximize Artest's value while maintaining your flexibility. You then have the option of rebuilding next year by trading McGrady, or retaining him until 2010, and chasing a third guy with his expired salary slot. Houston becomes much more desirable to the likes of Wade and Joe Johnson with Amare in the fold.

12. choujie

choujie Member

Agree. Also keep in mind

1) because of salary situation, that little upgrade in PF offense may reduce 50% of Rockets depth. The trade-off won't bring Rockets championship.

2) Tmac will get his shots anyway. More of Amare's offense means even less of Yao, and Yao's offensive efficiency isn't worse than Amare. The offense upgrade at PF actually won't be that much a deal for the team.

Bottom line:
    Unless Rox get Amare for very little like Lakers did to Gasol (which I don't see it coming), trade for Amare won't benifit Rox that much at all. If that happens, within two months fans will regret just like the Mike James trade, the Bonzi Wells signing, the Steve Francis signing etc.

13. jVgOwnsYou

jVgOwnsYou Contributing Member

Wade, Yao, Amare in 2010?

I like that idea.

14. DaDakota

Supporting Member

Cabbage,

I don't subscribe to the "Future flexibility" theory. If a player makes the team better THIS year, and makes them a possible contender THIS year...then I would go for it.

Hinrich, IMO, does exactly that.

Maggette, IMO, does exactly that.

What does it matter if you have cap room if there are no players worthy of taking up that cap space?

So you waste Yao and Tmac's expiring window and hope that the next group of players will be better?

This team is not that far away from contending now.....with small tweaks as oppossed to massive swoops.

I know you don't believe that, and so we are never going to agree......but I think this team is closer than people think....IF they have a good PG.

Bibby, would be ideal, and yes he is good enough to sign long term....you trade Artest for Bibby and this team is a WC favorite.

With Hinrich, it is at least a 2nd tier contender even with the Spurs etc..

Of course this is all my opinion on how I see the chemistry and team working with skill sets etc.

But to me, Amare is a complete waste of time......and.....even though I don't care, he also destroys the cap space if you resign him....and you should not make a deal if you don't want to keep him.

Also, do you think Scola stays after next year if Amare is here?

This Amare deal IMO, is a complete and utter waste of time......just guys desperate to salvage a season, and to me, they are going about it completely wrong.

GET US A DECENT shooting PG who can also set up teamates and who can play D and watch how much better the team is.....

DD

15. choujie

choujie Member

Don't get too excited about 2010.

I really haven't seen many Franchis guy went away from his own team since Shaq. Kobe was so unhappy with Lakers and he still stayed there. If Amare's trade didn't pan out, Amare would be the first to leave Rockets as a free agent since Yao will always be the cornerstone here. That could leave Rox with nothing.

16. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

How is PF a position of strength when our PF combo is worse than every competing team in the Western Conference. Every contending Western team has a better PF combo than us. Do you honestly disagree.

I agree that PG is the teams weakest position...but again...what PG is out there that we can get? One that will be an upgrade and won't screw up our cap situation? Not to mention, if we bring in another PG and don't get rid of Rafer (and I don't see why any team would really want Rafer), then haven't we messed up our cap situation even more by having a super expensive bench PG?

If you don't think the talent will mesh, then that's one thing. But to say Amare isn't a huge upgrade over what we currently have at that position, or that either of our PF's brings something he doesn't....well that just isn't true. Ok, Hayes bring defense that he doesn't...that's about it. Scolandry can't create their own shot like Amare. Scolandry can't get to the line like Amare. Scolandry doesn't have a consistent jumper like Amare. If you currently double Yao with a big, you can get away with it as long as Scolandry doesn't hit a wide open jumper (which they can't do as well as Amare), or if they don't get the ball right around the rim. In other words you can take your chances and leave Scolandry. You can't leave Amare...and that's the difference.

Did I mention I don't think we can land him?

17. hkcosser

hkcosser Member

Who is going to deal with Wade?Do you think Miami is a fool?

18. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

That's my point. You don't think getting a player like Amare for Artest (who may leave anyway), Scola or Landry (average PF) and a throw in wingman like Head or Barry isn't getting him for very little? Do you realize how hard it is to acquire a star big man in this league? And if you land him and it doesn't work...you can start over in 2010....just like we can currently do. I don't see the risk really........

19. choujie

choujie Member

No, first You won't get Amare for Artest + Scola + Head(Suns will get better offer than that, he fits on some other teams), 2nd getting Amare simply isn't that much an upgrade for Rox like some of the other teams. 3rd, in 2010 if Amare walks(very likely if things doesn't pan out), Rox already lost a bunch good role players for nothing.

20. TXRoxBBall

TXRoxBBall Member

I'm with DD, no way do I make a deal for Amare. PF unlike previous years is not our weak link. PG, Coach, and TMac are the three weakest positions on the team. You can win a championship with the players we have now at pf, but we won't win one with Rafer or Brooks running the show.