1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Amare Stoudemire a Rocket? The Rockets will try but come up short

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by scola4, Feb 6, 2009.

1. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

I also wanted to add that unless you are pretty sure that:

- We can win the title this year (and I don't see how anyone could make that conclusion)
    - Artest is a good fit AND will resign with us

Then I don't see how you can argue that giving up Artest (who ya will lose anyway), an average PF and something else like Head or Barry isn't worth it...to land a star PF. That's a steal for a player of Amare's caliber period...no matter how you think he will fit in. As far as the cap goes, we are screwed until 2010 anyway...so who cares?

But again, I highly doubt it would happen. But this may be one of the few places to think giving up an expiring, one of your avg PF's and another avg player for an all-star PF is a bad idea....

2. JBIIRockets

JBIIRockets Contributing Member

Can we trade for Steve Nash?

3. ibm

ibm Member

possibly. but if mcgrasy stays and truly reduces his shot attempt, it is manageable.

wafer is a role player. give scola or landry's shots to amare, reduce mcgrady's to about 15, increase yao's to 18, and amare can still manage to get his.

4. onreego

onreego Member

In that case I'd rather keep Amare until his contract comes off the books with Tracy, then we'd have the potential to make some noise that summer. Think about that..

ah, what fantasies we have..lol

5. onreego

onreego Member

ego-wise, is he willing to come off the bench?? doubtful.

6. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Precisely....

I would actually like it if it could become a bigger package, ya know. Throw in Barbosa or J Rich and we package somethin together to further please them, maybe... even... Wafer? *shrug*

Get it done, sone!!!

7. ibm

ibm Member

are you mimicing me? ;)

8. ibm

ibm Member

mcgrady + artest + landry + head for nash + amare + filler: ideal scenario. chance is close to an absolute 0.

artest + landry for amare: great scenario. chance is below 5%.

and yet this thread is going crazy. :cool:

9. tested911

tested911 Member

Um no REMEMBER People don't acquire any contracts that go past 2010.... Thats why it works for us to trade Artest+Scola+Luther for Amare..

Amare will drop his player option in 2011 to join the 2010 crew and get lucrative contract.. We will be big time players either way but having someone fill the void next year if Artest isn't resigned isn't a bad idea..

10. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

These are some of the misinformed post I've ever seen in a thread ever. We actually have people thinking Amare isn't better than all our pf combined. Now whether they can get him is another story, but to say he isn't a upgrade is comedy in itself. Tell me 1 thing Scolandry does better than Amare. He's a combination of both , but he makes more. Those people that says he only plays well with nash, he played well will marbury as a rookie. He's explosive, ferocious , and was handing Duncan his ass in the playoffs. Now some of you can pollipop around and talk the virtues of scolandry, but he's better than both combined and that's not even debatable .

11. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

Agree 100%. He would be a monster upgrade.

12. Tsquare

Tsquare Member

make it happen morey!

13. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

I don't think they would have any interest in Scola. It would have to be Landry who is still considered young with some upside.

I wonder if the Blazers would risk that chemistry they've developed and offer up LaFrentz and some combination of Outlaw, Frye, Webster, Fernandez, Bayless, Batum, Rodriguez. Put Amare at center next to Aldridge while Oden develops.

Miami could do Beasley and Marion. Dallas had Kidd and Cleveland has Wally, but neither have any young talent worth noting.

Who else has large expiring contracts? The only thing in our favor is that the Suns could still put on a charade to their fans of remaining competitive this year with our offer, while also slashing payroll.

14. hmittal

hmittal Member

I agree you cant pass up this deal throw in She Mac also

15. mms

mms Member

Stop dreaming. AS is going to the east and Bosh/AS swap makes sense.

16. WhoMikeJames

WhoMikeJames Contributing Member

Get

it

done

MOREY!

17. redao

redao Member

It is stupid to generate this piece of **** after your insider gave a 'no' to your question.

18. onreego

onreego Member

Amare is definitely an upgrade, I'll agree, but I dont think that that is the teams major concern at the moment. Getting an upgrade at the pg position is of more importance.

19. megastahr

megastahr Contributing Member

I know instead of doing work "at work" I spend my time pretending I am darrel moreys assistant lol.

20. megastahr

megastahr Contributing Member

I dont have a degree in basketball(nomics), but from my ascesment of basketball cap system. You dont compare how much a single individual is on a team. There is much more than that. How much better? How much more does he make? Does the net value surpass the net loss?

In this case you have scola and him whos statistical numbers arent that differnt. Plus scola adds hustle, grit and frustriation to other teams. All in all still doesnt add up to the dominating offensive force of Amare. But Scolas 3 million dollars salary does. That means you have 12 million to upgrade a weak posisiton that fits the team better. That is the way this has to be looked at. How much does amare give you for the money that couldnt be spent on another posistion that needs it. The strict cap on the NBA makes it more difficult to ascess player value then what you see on tv.

So in a way I probably wouldnt make this deal if amares contract wasnt so large, and expiring next year. Its a low risk high reward move. If it fails you still have an exiring contract the try and land other impact players and I guarantee next year Amarea will net a MUCH bigger return than Artest and Scola. Thats why you do this regardless of stats.