1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Amare Stoudemire a Rocket? The Rockets will try but come up short

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by scola4, Feb 6, 2009.

1. Rivaldo2181

Rivaldo2181 Contributing Member

Why Amare? He'd only take away from Yao, and I wouldn't trade Yao for him.

I heard AJ Adande on NBA Coast to Coast the other night say the Suns could look to break up the entire team and rebuild since they're over the cap, don't want to pay luxury taxes with the economy going so sour and for a team that doesn't realistically have a chance to win the title. I'd rather they go after Nash, that would be sweet!

HTML:
    The Suns are also said to be concerned with how Stoudemire's knee is going to hold up over the long term thanks to his micro-fracture surgery
    He's injury prone so he's perfect for the Rockets!

2. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

And we'd still have Scola to come in at the 4!

BRILLIANT!!! LOL

3. thegame_2234

thegame_2234 Contributing Member

send him t-mac

4. thegame_2234

thegame_2234 Contributing Member

another trade that work would be artest,scola and luther head

5. tested911

tested911 Member

??? No sense on your post.... Nothing in my post did it indicate we were going to keep our PF's if we somehow got Amare..

By the way this is my trade proposal...

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/featur...1727~25~2763~1781&teams=10~21~21~21&te=&cash=

Scola is really one of the few bright spots on the Rockets this year but you have to give up someone that can back fill for Amare... They get a legit PF and Ron Artest can give them that legit 3rd point scoring threat.. And well Luther is self explanatory.. Would I swap Landry for Scola in the deal (heck yeah) but they wouldn't take that..

6. tested911

tested911 Member

Wow man you read my mind.. Because this is the only package that the Suns would bite on.. Anything else is moot.

7. ibm

ibm Member

if there is anyone i want from the suns, it will be nash and amare - a former 2-time mvp and a top pg, or an allstar starter.

to compete for a ring, how can you refuse to take talent?

the real problem is, neither is likely gonna happen. we're probably just talking for fun here.

8. ebu

ebu Member

no lie when i heard amare was on the block, i was thinking who we could offer and i was thinking this exact trade..amare for artest and scola or landry.

The only thing is question is if we want to give an artest a chance in the playoffs first. If we do, and we do good, great, but if we don't and artest leaves were stuck with getting nothing in return. In this case we have Amare to show for it.

9. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

Amare is an amazing talent, but Les has limited pockets. Right now our power fowards are not the problem. They are cheap and effective. Scolandry only make about $3 mil each. Their only weakness is defense and Amare is not going to upgrade that.

If we're going to move assets we need to address the real problem of point guards. I'd go for someone like Barbosa before I started chasing after Amare.

10. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

I don't see how anyone can say Amare doesn't make us better. He is the perfect PF compliment next to Yao, because he has a legit jumper and he is athletic enough to attack the basket and finish when teams double with another big. Landry and Scola have decent jumpers, and Landry is great at finishing around the rim....but neither has an automatic jumper like Amare and neither can get to the rim like him. That is a huge upgrade IMO.

I also hear the comments about how he can't coexist next to Shaq. Newsflash...Yao isn't Shaq. He can shoot and score outside of the paint. He also clearly doesn't care about being the #1 option either.

Yes, I think a decent PG (one that can shoot consistently) would do our team wonders...now tell me which ones are available? Amare is available....

With all that being said, I highly doubt we land him. But I would be stoked if we did....

11. onreego

onreego Member

Agreed. I'm perfectly fine with the two-headed beasts we have a pf. Trade Artest and rafer for an Andre Miller or Calderon(never gonna happen I know). -sigh- the Rockets are in Limbo and that 9th seed is creeping up on them.

12. tested911

tested911 Member

Bingo on mentioning Artest and his free agency coming up.. I think we have only a 30-40% chance of resigning Artest. If the Rockets do not intend to sign Artest this off season then surely trading him now is the best course of action..

We traded Bobby Jackson, a draft pick in Greene, a 1st rounder in 2009, and some money for a 1 yr rental? That's great if we have the team to go all the way but we DON'T. This is the opportune time for Morey to get back more on his investment..

Put it this way if Amare doesn't pan out we can always look forward to the 2010 off season.. Amare will definitely forgo his Player Option in 2011 to join the 2010 squad to acquire a new long term contract (More money). Amare will try to have a breakout year next year. The trade is a win win for both teams.

13. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

I undersatnd that but I'd be assuming that they'd want Landry intead of Scola due to upside and age. My opinion guy... ;)

14. megastahr

megastahr Contributing Member

I kind of agree because I researched their stats and the differnce in scloa and amare doesnt warrant a multimillion dollar difference...how ever. Amare, Tmac, Yao all are free agents in 2010. We dont get any worse in this deal, and Amare is much better trade bait next year if this doesnt work out. Basically we pick up artest for nothing then swap him and scola out for amare then if he doesnt work trade him for way more valuable (pg or sf) than what artest and scola would net (from other teams and cause salarys).

Say we trade amare for something like devin harris and someone else (totally hypthetical) we essentially would have been trading Sponalis and Donte Green and draft picks for him not stoudamire....think about that.

15. ebu

ebu Member

I would rather give up landry than scola....scola does everything a coach would want. He is a beast on rebounds

16. King901

King901 Member

Artest + Landry + someone else for Amar'e
    Starting lineup would be.

Yao
    Scola
    Shane
    Tmac
    Rafer

Amar'e would come off the bench and run with the second unit so he would get more shot attempts.

17. ibm

ibm Member

agree with your opening statement. and that "someone" can be luther - another expiring.

disagree with your closing statement. if amare get here, he's gotta start.

(but again, chances are minute.)

18. JKillaD23

JKillaD23 Member

Amare is so overrated its not even funny. If he can't function with steve nash what makes you think things with rafer alston is gonna be beter

19. King901

King901 Member

He wouldnt get alot of shot attempts with the first unit though. That's why he isnt happy in PHX. Him brooks and wafer would dominate.

20. ibm

ibm Member

i'm not sure about that. pick-and-roll and pick-and-pop are the most common and basic plays in bball. any decent pg should be able to run then effectively. it's just a nash-amare combo runs them to perfection. but it doesn't mean amare can't play well with another pg.

assume mailman got traded at one point, how do you imagine he's play? would he all of the sudden become a scrub or a role player? i think not.

amare without nash (and that's bound to happen at some point) can still be very good, barring another injury.