1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Amaré pulls out of Olympics

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by hooroo, Jun 19, 2008.

1. hooroo

hooroo Member

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/suns/articles/2008/06/19/20080619amare.html

2. TTRocket

TTRocket Contributing Member

Seems like he values self over group.

3. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

That's disappointing considering he's one of the most unguardable basketball players on the planet.

4. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

too bad yao can't do the same with the CNT. smart decision by amare. it would have been dumb for him to play with the fragile condition of his knee.

5. jlwee

jlwee Member

Under FIFA rules, Amare is guardable! Dont believe it? Check his stats in the international competition you will know!

6. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

He wasn't as impressive as LeBron and others but he put up solid numbers and shot something like 70% from the field.

I understand what you're trying to get at, though. I realize the rules are very different. Just saying there aren't any imaginable rules out there to contain his type of overpowering explosiveness and athleticism.

7. MacFu

MacFu Member

You have problem with the choice of words. Yao can but he won't. Have you considered how much endorsement money he will lose in China if he do that? It's a business decision more than anything else.

8. TECH

TECH Contributing Member

I think Yao's sense of honor and country is what keeps him playing for China. Didn't Yao actually take some time off from the CNT? He seems to have to play for the important games, though. If it's a business decision, I doubt it's Yao's ambition for more money.

9. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

I don't think his presence makes or breaks team USA. His game doesn't translate well to the international game IMO.

10. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

i think amare would have fared better than 04, he's developed that jump shot. its pretty deadly.

11. Jonhty

Jonhty Member

what really keeps him playing is the consequence of not playing. if china was like the us where most people think amare is free to do what he did, i doubt yao would play despite his current injury situation. i'm sure he doesn't care about money from china or the us but i'm sure he wants to be able to go back to china after he retires from the nba without people labeling him unpatriotic.

12. poprocks

poprocks Member

13. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Putting the apostrophe over the e in the title of this thread was impressive attention to detail.

14. lalala902102001

This is bad news for Team USA. Who are they going to throw the ball to when they need a basket in the post? Dwight Howard is not a go-to guy in the post yet.

15. Northside Storm

Northside Storm Contributing Member

Man, everyone is saying how DH12 and Amare don't "mesh" well in the international game, I mean barring China and Spain, the quality of international big men is...lacking. Most of the time, Dwight will find himself being guarded by 6'9 stiffs, which is a recipe for disaster (assuming of course, international teams won't zone around Dwight...which is a bad idea anyways because of the amount of star perimeter players Team USA boasts)...so it's not like a big disaster that Amare isin't coming.

That said, China vs USA will be intresting to watch in terms of post play, both sides have talented and versatile bigs. It's too bad Kobe, Lebron and company will probably bust nuts in that matchup.

16. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

I thought Tyson Chandler played better than him last summer anyway...

17. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I don't think the difference is that Americans think Amare is free to back out and Chinese don't think Yao is free to back out. It's that Yao is 100 times more important to the CNT than Amare is to Team USA. Amare's spot will be taken by someone who is more or less his equal, playing with 11 other guys more or less his equal. If Yao doesn't play, the country's Olympic basketball hopes are dashed. If we had only 1 guy that was the difference between being able to compete and not being able to, Americans too would call him unpatriotic if he chose not to play.

Anyway, for Yao there seems to be a holy convergence of interests that would coax him to play: national honor, personal fame, reputation, business interest, governmental relations, personal friendships, etc. And, not a whole lot to convince him to sit out, just some internet geeks that don't want their enjoyment of an NBA hobby curtailed.

18. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

Team USA's bigs have played awfully small in international play as of late. The are not skilled enough, not smart enough and the rules/defense seem to negate much of their size and athleticism. It's kind of an embarassment.

19. oldgunrules

oldgunrules Member

What, a guy who's completely healthy and no worries about contract or trade doesn't want to patronize his country?

20. oldgunrules

oldgunrules Member

My last post was a bit harsh. I was just a little upset that the U.S. has missed the championship on world stage for too long. I really want to them to kick some axx bad :mad: