1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

AM I the Only One?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by kerry Mckee, Oct 22, 2008.

1. kerry Mckee

kerry Mckee Member

Am I The Only One?

I am excited about the upcoming season but somewhat concern about the size deficiency on the current roster. I wonder if Yao gets hurt or in foul trouble against Duncan, Garnett, Boozer, Gasol, Bynum, Odom, Stoudamire, SHAQ, Dirk, Oden, and others who are 6'10 and taller and all the Rockets have to run at them are 6'6 to 6'8 Power Forwards and Centers. I have been a fan for years and I am tired of watching Hayes and other get abused night in and night out by these players so easily. These short players cannot even contest most of these other guys shots and I see that as a huge problem this season just like it was last year or have the Rockets forgot so quickly?????? :confused:

2. Mac#5

Mac#5 Member

ive thought about it but i dont think morey is done with the roster... come trade deadline he might trade for a legit back up center if we dont resign mutombo

3. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Contributing Member

You're not the only one. I'm definitely concerned about our relative lack of frontcourt length.

4. badgerfan

badgerfan Member

Rockets need to resign Deke, pure and simple.

5. blk5g

blk5g Member

i too am worried but we have a great roster and they may dump the ball in everytime but the wont make every bucket, i think we can run with phoenix when we go small, so the best thing we can have happen is that their big drops 30 -40 points and that takes touches away from everybody else on their squad and we continue our game and stay close while yao is out with foul trouble ,if he is hurt then you run all game, balls to the wall run get their big tired amare is in shape but he can only run for so long. wear and tear our way through the game .

6. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

I'm also concerned about the lack of height. Especially against teams like Utah that can go big and hurt us when Yao is on the bench (Williams, Harpring, Kirilenko, Boozer, Okur). Currently we have to rely on players who are slightly undersized just to play the FOUR, much less the five.

Side note: is it that hard for people to post titles that actually describe the thread topic? Subject lines like "AM I the Only One" are annoyingly ambiguous.

7. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

Morey disagrees with the size issue. His take when a caller asked this question this morning (paraphrased by durvasa):

[rquoter]Caller: Acquire another big man for facing big teams like the Suns
    - Rockets plan on adding a 7-footer sometime this season, Deke is high on the list.
    - Not very worried about adding a 7-footer, concentrate on adding good players. Last year, Rockets played better when they went small than when they went big.
    - Feels comfortable with Stoudamire being guarded by Scola, Hayes, or Landry.
    - We're more effective when we're small, more penetration, got the line more, turned it over less. COmfortable with that.[/rquoter]

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?t=155852

I side with Daryl, not too many teams have true big centers like Shaq and Dwight that can over match us when Yao is out of the game. Any big man that has a decent game is already on a team so it's not like Daryl will pluck a serviceable big man from thin air. As for Deke, let's wait on what we do with Francis or Head cause their salaries is about the same as what we would need to sign Deke.

8. badgerfan

badgerfan Member

I don't remember the Rockets matching up too well against young, big teams like the Hawks though. Last year's Atlanta game after Yao went out seemed to demonstrate just how far small ball will take you.

9. carib

carib Member

I agree with the original poster in that the issue is cause for concern.
    The Detroit Pistons did well with a 6'9" Ben Wallace at center, The Phoenix Suns played one season with 6'8" Boris Diaw at center, it is possible to be successful at that position because there are not a lot of dominant centers. We have to pay attention to the PF spot, because there are alot of dominating PF in the league, thankfully we have Scolandry. All this been said I would sleep easier if we resign Deke cause we need strong rebounding when Yao is out.

10. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

If I remember correctly, Josh Smith ran wild over us. Josh Smith is 6'9, it's just that he's an athletic freak. I don't believe Al Horford or Pachulia had their way over us, but if Horford did then I'd understand cause Horford IMO is an upcoming stud, not just because he's 6'10.

Would you guys rather have 6'10 and above scrubs with limited skills or skilled slightly undersized bigs? (Hayes is limited on offense but a defensive stalwart)

11. bluesinsoul

bluesinsoul Member

Well half of that list won't be able to abuse us even if Yao is off the court. Hayes/Landry/Scola combo are pretty efficient against PFs, they might have some problems when confronting against true centers like Shaq, Oden and Howard. If we get Mutombo back, we are pretty much all set.

We would also have very good perimeter defense so there's going to be some problems for the other side to pass the ball to their bigs. Defensively I really can't imagine who would give us trouble except for lakers.

12. Ikorose

Ikorose Member

Head + Francis for Joe Smith.

13. frank2030

frank2030 Member

还不能完全看懂哦
    by the way ,i'm a Chinese.

14. rox4lyf

rox4lyf Member

no. too old.

15. AzNaNsZ

AzNaNsZ Member

Don't forget that the suns had stoudamire at center and diaw as the backup before they traded for shaq

16. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

To the op, I've been saing it for awahile, but people don't like when I say it, so get used to it. some don't understand the length factor at the rim vs a charge type of guy.

17. Ikorose

Ikorose Member

He's 33, so he's not that ancient. He solves the length factor and is a reliable scorer inside. He might not send shots flying in the stands, but he has the length to get those tipped toss up rebounds with the likes of KG, Duncan, etc. He also had a very good season last year. 10ppg and 5rpg in 22min. That's more than good enough and he would allow Yao even more rest.

Yes it would be nice to have a Tyson Chandler type, but it's not happening.

Steven hunter might be the only other option, but his b-ball IQ makes Head look like Magic Johnson.

18. Alvin Choo

Alvin Choo Member

nope you are not the only one.

But the team is pretty equip to play without yao, as the team now have players that can play small ball. You have artest, landry and AB that can run and gun.

As long as rox resign deke, all of these players will and can be guarded between deke, hayes and artest.

19. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

I've heard from an inside source that the Rockets don't plan to sign Deke until mid-season ...so don't freak out about it. If they can't sign him, I'm sure they'll evaluate the situation before the trade deadline.

For the 1st half of the season, I'm not worried about our size. But I hope they add some size for the playoffs to give us more flexibility.

Playoffs ...that's all I care about this year.

...but a 70 season would be pretty sweet too. :cool:

20. EGYPT

EGYPT Member

I agree we are a small team, but we have been like that for many years now.