1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Am I the only one who thinks Riley is a douche for retiring Jordan's # in Miami?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Der Rabbi, Nov 13, 2009.

1. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Amen to that. I'd go a step further, they should retire #34 sports wide. So many great 34s in basketball, football, and baseball.

That's a pretty short stretch, compared to the whole history of basketball. MJ was standing on the shoulders of many giants. Show some respect to those other legends before him. If they really want to retire a number league wide, Jordan's should be about the fourth or fifth one.

2. rimrocker

rimrocker Member

Probably more justification for that... MJ was a great player, but Dream opened up the world to the NBA.

3. Der Rabbi

Der Rabbi Member

Well in my world sycophants are douches.

4. AusFan

AusFan Member

Just found this on Wikipedia:

I remember thinking it was very weird when it happened. Jordan's number was the 1st retired and they have also retired the number for someone who didn't even play basketball!

I guess they're still a relatively young franchise and are trying to manufacture some history/tradition. Doesn't make sense to me.

5. Juggernaut

Juggernaut Member

it is stupid. what a n idiot.

6. towW

towW Member

The Heat also retired Dan Marino as he was a premiere touchdown dunker.

7. JuLiO-R-

JuLiO-R- Member

I don't care if they retire 23 league wide...but I don't think they should put his jersey up in every building. Jordan was great, but we shouldn't treat him like a god. His ego is big enough already...imagine how much douchier (sp?) He would get if he had his name/jersey/number up in every basketball arena in the nation.

8. professorjay

professorjay Member

It was stupid period for Miami to retire any number that didn't matter to the Heat. Marino? Really?

BTW, Woj and Hollinger (as previously mentioned) have been laying into Jordan on Twitter. Sounds like a media backlash is headed toward MJ. And well deserved for half-assing it (which is already being generous) in Charlotte.

9. ceonwuka

ceonwuka Member

Short answer: No

Long answer: It honestly doesn't make any sense. Jordan was a huge part in keeping Riley's Knicks and Heat from the Larry O'Brien Trophy. Jackie Robinson's number being retired across Baseball is appropriate for all teams in the league as his competitive impact opened the door for a huge talent pool and his social impact made integration feasible in sport and in society as a whole.

To do the same for Jordan is just crazy IMO. Its great to acknowledge the greats before you, but there is no Jordan without David Thompson and Dr. J who looked up to guys like Baylor/Robertson. Jordan's real innovative contribution to the game giving players a blueprint to capitalize on their success in a manner more comparable to their respective teams & the NBA which made tons of money off of them while the players themselves made significantly less.

Give the guy who makes the most money each year in endorsements the Michael Jeffrey Jordan Award or something.