1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Am I the only one who thinks Riley is a douche for retiring Jordan's # in Miami?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Der Rabbi, Nov 13, 2009.

1. Der Rabbi

Der Rabbi Member

What an ass. Why don't we retire Karl Malone's number in Houston according to that logic?

2. Al Calavicci

Al Calavicci Contributing Member

I agree with you, but your analogy doesn't make any sense.

3. Der Rabbi

Der Rabbi Member

Wasn't Jordan public enemy #1 to those good late 90's Heat teams?

4. sbyang

sbyang Member

There are many reasons to consider Riley a 'douche'. Retiring Jordan's number is not one of those reasons.

5. DcProWLer277

DcProWLer277 Rookie

Actually I believe it is, why retire a jersey of someone that didn't even play for your franchise?

6. jeffvangundy

jeffvangundy Member

was it retired yesterday? i saw Jordan sitting with Riley but there was no mention of any jersey retired

7. J.R.

J.R. Member

No i think its been like that for awhile now. Not really gonna hear any complaints from me about it.

8. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Speaking of MJ in Miami, John Hollinger had a few funny tweets about it:

9. Al Calavicci

Al Calavicci Contributing Member

When I think of foils to the late 90's heat teams, I think of the Knicks.

And JVG leg humping Alonzo, inevitably.

10. adoo

adoo Member

Tom Landry, in his hey days as the coach of the Cowboys, was public enemy#1 to the Redskins fan base,
    the same one that had inducted the same Tom Landry, after his coaching days were over, to the Redskins' ring of honor.​

11. Der Rabbi

Der Rabbi Member

My friend just pointed out ... the only way Riley isn't a total douche for this is if he lost a bet to Jordan on the golf course or something.

12. Der Rabbi

Der Rabbi Member

Well the Bulls or the Knicks eliminated that Heat team every year if memory serves.

13. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Jordan was a douche is memory serves me correctly, so what?

14. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

Man, I would be pissed off if I was a Heat fan. His image has taken a serious hit over the past few years. There is nowhere near the mass adoration he had 10 years ago, and a lot of people have realized he is not and never was a "good person."

Pretty stupid move by Riley...hopefully the fans protest. I can't imagine what would happen if the Rockets pulled this.

15. Patience

Patience Contributing Member

Well LeBron is switching numbers to respect Jordan and petitioning the NBA to retire #23 league-wide. So I guess Riley is not alone in his thinking.

I guess I can see fans being bitter about it, but I don't see how it makes Riley a "douche." Overly respectful, maybe.

16. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

LOL! Those are awesome, but I can't believe he's doing that... as in, he may want to interview MJ someday...

17. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Is Jordan dead or something, resulting in the outpouring of admiration? Last I heard he was seen acting like a spoiled teenager at his HOF induction ceremony trying to settle old scores.

F Jordan. He's not Jackie Robinson.

18. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

Screw retiring #23 league wide. I give him his dues for being such a great player but I don't want his name up in the rafters of Toyota Center. :mad: :mad:

19. burnshroom

burnshroom Member

Didn't the NHL retire Gretzy's number league wide?

I may be incorrect in that but I would have to say alot of the current NBA Superstars (Wade, Kobe and LBJ to name a few scrubs) consider MJ as the one who got them where they are now, as in paving the way and who they patterned some of their games after.

Safe to say that for a long stretch from the late 80's to mid 90's MJ was the NBA.

So While you may not be the only one who feels Riley is a douche, I think it goes to show Riley's respect for MJ as a contemporary and as a rival to his Knicks team and what he did on the basketball court.

The #23 prior to Lebron was almost always associated with MJ so to retire it is not so off base or out of the ordinary.

I respect the heat for doing it. I respect LBJ for wanting to change his number out of respect. If the league did it league wide, I would not object.

Just my 2 cents.

20. cuddie

cuddie Member

I vote that we retire #34 league wide.

1 person likes this.