1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Am I the only one who noticed how much Dwight Struggled?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by iku, Oct 13, 2013.

Tags:
  1. iku

iku Member

I noticed throughout the game how much Dwight struggled against bigger centers like hibbert. Maybe Dwight just had a bad game, but it seemed like he was have a hard time adjusting to Pacer's defense. It was kind of hard to watch at times. I hope he turns around at the start of the regular season.

On a side note, the rockets put on a show! I'm so happy for the Taiwanese fans.

2. coffeelover665

He was up against the 2nd best post defender in the NBA. Of course he will struggle.

3. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

You might be the first one making a thread about it

4. just a word

just a word Member

Frankly, I don't care.

Meanwhile:
    He's meshing well with the starters, he's cramming tons of new post moves, he'd limited Hibbert. It's preseason.

I'd be more worried if it's late December and he's still looking like this.

5. iku

iku Member

Well, I was looking down the page and I didn't see a thread about this issue. Lock it if it's already been posted.

6. bingsha10

bingsha10 Member

Roy Hibbert was the main reason the pacers almost upset the Heat. He is a very good player. Probably the best center Dwight will face all season.

7. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

Thoughts:

- He's testing out his mid-range jumper
    - Our spacing has been poor (players are staying to close to him), and defenders are having an easier time collapsing on him
    - Hibbert is a very good defender

8. ashleyem

ashleyem Member

He's supposed to be the best center in the NBA. No excuses.

1 person likes this.
  9. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Guarding Dwight is about matchups. Against big slow guys he has to use his quickness but their team defense is pretty good so it's harder for Dwight to score with such a limited range on his shot. He did hit one bank shot jumper that I saw. If he can start hitting that and it becomes a real threat then the inside will open up more for his drives.

10. hikanoo49

hikanoo49 Member

hibbert is a stud

guy is so much bigger than dwight. seems like he was a good 5 inches taller

11. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

Who are the other "bigger centers like Hibbert?" Except, you know -- Hibbert. Dude, Hibbert is like 7'2 with a 9'+ vertical reach. Anyone would struggle. Count your blessings that (1) we only play them twice, and (2) we'll (hopefully) have Asik to relieve some of the pressure. Dwight will be fine. We will be fine.

Chill more.

1 person likes this.
  12. johnstarks

johnstarks Member

Howard used to struggle against Yao's size and Hibbert is a giant so that's not unexpected. But actually a lot of it was that they double teamed him pretty quickly and he took too long to wind up and make his move so that by the time he put the ball up, there was often a crowd of two big guys around him and a small guy to strip the ball. He needs to review his Olajuwan lessons and just go straight into his move as soon as he catches the ball.

13. Rox23

Rox23 Member

He struggled. Trying to do to much one-one-one in the post, sometimes guarded by three Pacers one of which was Hibbert. Didn't play smart: should have passed out on some of those post plays. Only had 6 rebounds and had 5 fouls. In his defense he said that he hasn't had much sleep of late and is tired.

Asik could have done as much defensively and put up those kind of offensive numbers in his sleep.

1 person likes this.
  14. torocan

torocan Member

Howard's post game isn't the strongest part of his offensive arsenal, his PnR rolling has traditionally been his strongest weapon. He has to be more selective about his choice of post up moves when he has the better post up defenders on him.

Personally, I'm more worried about how fast he racks up fouls. I remember a bunch of games for the Lakers where he racked up fouls very fast.

We're really going to need Asik to fill in those minutes so that Dwight can keep playing physical defense.

15. leangle25

leangle25 Member

Hibbert is taller than Dwight so he already had an advantage. Just like how Yao played against Dwight last time. Except, hibbert have difficulties getting buckets.

16. Yao4REAL

Yao4REAL Member

Howard just need to be patient. I feel like he's rushing on offense and also on defense...he doesn't need to front Hibbert. Just play him straight up and dare him to do anything.

17. iku

iku Member

Word. This guy is supposed to be the BEST center. No excuses

18. hikanoo49

hikanoo49 Member

i was hoping dwight could show off some of his hakeem moves. but oh well

19. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Oh pleaseee. Dwight had Bert's 8ft 400 pound ass in check you aint even know it .Dwight didnt get the touches though

20. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

Oh, I thought you were open to logical discussion. My bad. LOL.