1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Am I the only one that still believes in Harden?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Panda23, May 19, 2014.

1. Asian Sensation

I like Harden but I'll play devil's advocate.

People always mention his age and how young he is but how much better is he going to get? Realistically?

I think offensively he's close to his peak and I can't see him doing much better or more for that matter. This is a compliment because he's already that good offensively. He's not like a Paul George, Brad Beal or Derozan for example who still have room for improvement on the offenside side.

As we all know Harden's biggest flaws are his defense and leadership which are ultimately attributed to effort. Some guys focus on these things and try to become better at them and other guys just weren't cut out to be the alpha dog even if they're thrust into the role (Glen Rice, Mitch Richmond, Ray Allen when he was on the Bucks and Sonics).

I'm willing to give Harden a pass this year since this was the first year of the dynamic duo and should be a great learning experience but the work he puts in this off-season and the effort he brings will be very telling next season.

Remember, he said the same thing last off-season when asked what he needs to improve on he mentioned defense and being a better leader. The biggest thing that worries me is that you can't teach effort. It's either there or not more often than not. It's like asking Pat Bev to take a play off or take it easy. No chance in hell. Harden can truly be great but he really needs to want to be it and not just say it.

I'm not a fan of Kobe but I've always respected his hunger to push himself, will to improve and try and be the best. He's a guy that you can tell each off-season he would bring something new to his game, spend countless hours improving, studying film, reaching out to Dream etc. Imagine how great Harden would be if he had that kind of thirst for the game instead of partying.

2. roe4christ

roe4christ Member

No your not the only one. The fact of the matter is despite his weaknesses on defense, the Rockets would not even have been above .500 much less make the playoffs without him. The bashing is getting a little ridiculous. Having said that, I think Harden has heard enough of the criticism this season. It is now on him to pick up the defensive intensity this upcoming season or I will be one of those yelling for his head. You want to be the head cheese and make the big bucks, you need to bring it on both ends of the court. Harden.....its on you now. Don't disappoint.

3. roe4christ

roe4christ Member

Grow up, stay out of the strip clubs, get your head on straight, focus on the task at hand, and realize your true potential. That's all were asking. The talent is definitely there.

4. lucnguye92

lucnguye92 Member

I could understand if the lack of visible effort is a psychological technique to psyche out opponents, kind of like Tim Duncan. But Tim Duncan is a great defensive player.

5. langal

langal Contributing Member

no one is giving up.

there's a big difference between us whining and b****ing after a playoff loss and "giving up" on the guy.

6. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

7. Texanswin2013

Texanswin2013 Member

People want to see what they want to see. This guy posted a 9.8 PER and people are talking like he flamed Harden.

People were ANTICIPATING Harden getting scored on so when he did, it's the only thing they remembered. Pathetic.

8. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

no i belive in him too. he's young and has plenty of time. in the early years of his prime. but he cant develop much if he's on a team that allows one-on-one basketball and little to no defense effort all game long. thats a huge problem for this team that a 3rd star wont solve.

9. Asian Sensation

Why are you referencing Matthews numbers?

Take a look at Harden's numbers instead. He let a ROLE PLAYER get into his head, allowed him to be more physical with him and got out-hustled.

He let the same garbage happen last year in our key stretch when PJ Tucker shut him down and let Jodie Meeks get the best of him when we crawled into the playoffs against the Thunder.

10. Amir's Johnson

I believe in the Hard-on.

11. Asian Sensation

He shot 37% the series and got outplayed by Matthews. Pathetic indeed.

12. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Because the poster said he got flamed by Matthews.

The stats say otherwise. And trust me I have looked at Hardens numbers plenty.

Matthews shot a few percentage points better than Harden and that was the extent of his better showing on the offensive end. Everything else on that side of the ball he was basically worse, as hard as that may be to believe.

I guess if you want to attribute all of Hardens struggles to Matthews defense than I guess you can, but I didn't see it like that. Harden missed a ton of the same shots he made all season, including against Matthews. You can attribute that to Harden being weak mentally and that Matthews got in his head, but I just don't see it like that. It was a bad stretch, they happen. It sucks when bad stretches happen especially in the playoffs, but I don't let 2 playoff series at the ages of 23 and 24 define how I view him as a player. Defense against him played a role, but was hardly the main reason for his struggles.

13. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

I do.

OFFENSIVE BEAST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

14. tkrieger

tkrieger Member

It's a catch 22.... Harden is one of only few players who can perform without screens and without a midrange game.... If Harden can learn how to move without the ball, finish right, and put more effort defensively (all realistically possible), he'll be true MVP material.

That said, Harden has covered up so many deficiencies in the "Moreyball" offense, it may have fueled Morey's delusions that the system will actually work. But getting rid of Harden in my opinion will return this club to "Ninth Seed" status.... Not because we won't have talent, but because nobody will then be able to cover up those deficiencies, we'll basically return to the pre-Harden days.

15. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

He hasn't learned despite being on a team that's been to the Finals. Does he improve his defense and show up? No not once but 2 post seasons in Houston. He is what he is and we know that. Now let's try to trade him while we still can.

16. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I'll say this. In ten years I want everyone that is constantly spewing hate about him to come back and read the whiny bs they wrote at that time.

He's not a perfect player and obviously has some maturity issues but his time in Houston has been constantly under the microscope and when you step back and look at everything as a whole, the Rockets and the city of Houston are lucky to have him, and need to try and enjoy the next few years they get with him and Dwight instead of being so damn bitter all the time.

There are about 29 other teams, GMs, fan bases that would kill to have him on their team any day or the week.

17. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

Matthews did have some good games against him and early in the series he was out working Harden. Harden finally came around but it was too late, damage was already done. If Harden plays like he did in the last two games in that series from the get go its a chance we are still playing. Especially since we had the Spurs number all season long.

18. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

Big timer true indeed but those fans would be complaining to. I am still a big fan of Harden but the youngster needs to get his act together.

19. JazzLakerHater

Thats what pisses me off the most with Harden. There are moments where he looks like he just doesn't give a f**k. I understand he's one of those quiet guys but would it kill you to show some passion please. The Indiana game is the only game I can recall Harden showing any type of passion and intensity.

20. dxdx

dxdx Member

There's the truth. As long as Harden doesn't instill the drive and discipline to improve, he isn't going to become exponentially better.