1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Am I the only one that doesn't care for alcohol?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by htwnbandit, May 18, 2014.

Tags:
  1. arno_ed

arno_ed Member

And you cannot be social when you are sober? Why would you drink to please others. (especially at a college) Drinking that much is bad for you, and why would you do something that is bad for you to please someone else?

Will the night suddenly be better if I drank 1 beer?

Agreed. Why the obsession with getting drunk?

And you cannot do that while not drinking alcohol? I went to bars all the time with my friends, I just did not drink alcohol. Why would you need alcohol to have a good time.

I remember one instance in my first year at my univesrsity. We had a introduction camp, the first night was a lot of fun. The second night the beer tap didn't work anymore. Everybody was depressed and didn't feel like partying anymore, I was the only one who still wanted to party. That night was bad since almost everybody needed alcohol to have a good time.

Most people forgot how to enjoy themselves in a bar when sober. It is quite sad.

2. arno_ed

arno_ed Member

Deleted double post, sorry

3. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Member

About 35% of Americans don't drink and another significant percentage drinks minimally.

4. Two Sandwiches

I agree completely.

I am 26. Never got into drinking. Never even been drunk.

Flame away.

5. juicystream

juicystream Member

There are a lot of delicious alcoholic drinks. Just try mixed drinks (probably best to make your own, as some bartenders are very heavy handed).

I didn't start drinking beer regularly until college. In HS I was all about Smirnoff & Liquor. I still don't like wine.

Don't drink so much you end up puking.

6. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

I'm not really into beer either, but Miller Lite is actually drinkable to me.

7. King of 40 Acres

I'm starting to feel the same way you do. But I've also drank pretty regularly from my senior year in high school all through college and haven't really slowed down until about a year ago and even then id occasionally get wasted. Believe me the hangovers and puking definitely aren't worth it. Not to mention doing stupid **** or even getting arrested or the potential harm you could cause to yourself or someone else. I'm now just trying to drink in moderation or socially but have pretty much avoided drinking as much as possible.

You need to just find the fine line between going out having a good time with your friends and having a couple of drinks and the other end of spectrum where you get completely hammered make poor decisions and can't function the next day.

8. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

you should just smoke pot!

9. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

You aren't the only one. If you've ever had the misfortune of knowing a "straight-edge" person* you'd know that somehow people have turned not drinking and smoking into a lifestyle. And they talk about it just like Crossfitters talk about Crossfit.

*For the most part. I do know one (1) "straight-edge" person who never talks about it.

10. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Member

Drink root or ginger beer at bars.

There are also more non-alcoholic mixed drinks being made.

11. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

I only really enjoy a craft beer or a nice glass of fine Scotch.

12. durvasa

durvasa Member

I'm with you. If you socialize with people who like to drink, then it may be useful to acquire the taste. Otherwise, why bother? I guess for some, appreciating fine alcoholic drink is like appreciating fine art. Personally, I'm not interested.

13. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Not liking alcohol is probably a good thing.

14. supdudes

supdudes Member

I'm in the same boat as you in that I really don't need alcohol. In fact, most of the time I stay away from it, unless it's a few drinks with friends or my dad.

In the end ethanol is a drug like any other, and there's better tasting thing in the world.

15. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

No, but realize you'll get some of kind of addictive dietary vice by your 30s. Make sure it's smoothies, vegetables and exercise rather than cheeseburgers and pizza.

16. Rashmon

Rashmon Member

You should do drugs instead. Then you could at least be cool...

17. Smokey

Smokey Member

Social...happy hour or party only. 3 drinks max. Don't like the taste either.

18. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

It's mainly for the buzz... anyone who says otherwise is lying. I LOL every time a drinker claims to only drink for taste.
    Sophistication fail.

19. Creepy Crawl

Creepy Crawl Member

I'm with ya OP. I have never really enjoyed drinking. Maybe once a year I'll drink, and even then I have to pretty much hype myself up to do it.

20. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Member

The thing I hate about drinking is that your day is pretty much shot.

If you drink early in the day or for happy hour, what are you going to do the rest of the day? Nothing productive. You're not going to exercise or do a hobby that requres actual thinking.