1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Am I The Only Mchale Lover

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by makio9, Feb 9, 2014.

1. makio9

makio9 Member

Love might be a bit strong of a word, because I'm not family nor do i have any homosexual tendencies or affiliations with the man, but everywhere I look there seems to be a nasty comment about McHales coaching and I'm not buying it.

His record with the Rockets has always been overachieving given the players and/or circumstances, aka first year team this year and potentially could finish 2nd in the West as it looks today.

His rotations I find seemless, and I rarely disagree with what he has going, EG: Lin off the bench to play the backup SG is the only way that makes sense unless you want to keep Lin on the floor for the entire first quater and part of the second during Hardens spell. That's what it would be if he was starting.
    Can I get somebody who agrees with me or am I alone?

2. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

i love Mchale too!

3. Voice of Aus

Voice of Aus Contributing Member

I have been a mchale advocate and hope we can either resign or sign a coach who's coaching philosophy is built around morey, it's morey's team and everyone who doesn't admit that is delusional.

In respect to rotations
    The one cruistisim I have with mchale is that it took basically everyone injured for him to figure out that we needed to play our DMO. Woj tweeted the rockets were looking at offered and making calls when mchale hadn't even played DMo in the rotation, it would of been a huge failure to just trade him for to what seemed his current value "a second round pick".

It took all those reasons to allow DMo to get playing time, the same can be said with tjones who didn't start in the intial rotation until Asik twin towers apparently failed (I still want to see it more) but it shows mchale didn't think tjones was ready.

benefits
    But besides those marginal errors mchale has been fine, the player ps respect him and he is a key peice at landing FA's just die to his crediontals.

other floated coaches names
    Anyone who wants Hollins, van gundy's of the world need to realise once again it's morey's team, and he wants a coach who can take on the stats based approach of coaching of shooting threes, pushing the pace and crashing the offensive boards

Verdict: work in progress but I like him

2 people like this.
  4. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Coming out of the closet eh?

5. EightDoobies

EightDoobies Member

From that opening statement, not sure which way should I look at this topic.

6. meh

meh Contributing Member

When McHale was first hired and half the board thought the Rockets would lose an extra 20 games because of him, I made a thread saying that based on how much coaches are paid, their contribution likely that of a MLE-level player.

Of course not all MLE players are created equal. There's your Chauncey Billups. There's your Shane Battier, the ever reliable glue guy. There's your Delfino, good but not much else. And there's your Stromile Swift or Jared Jefferies.

I would put McHale in the Delfino category on the basis of his coaching, but up him to Battier category if he had a big impact on Dwight. FWIW, I feel JVG and Adelman are both Battier level just in terms of coaching. Not a fan of either in personnel decisions. Adelman in particular looks quite bad taking all the old Rockets reject. That's why they're coaches and not GMs.

To sum up: I like McHale, but don't love him. But overall I feel coaches are overrated both in terms of their goodness or badness.

7. makio9

makio9 Member

You should look at is as I'm a Mchale fan and I find his criticism unjust. :)

I just used the word Lover in the title for the sake of being able to create a shorter title and add some emphasis.

8. bmd

bmd Member

I don't mind McHale, but I'm curious as to how well another coach would do. Maybe the Rockets would be even better with a more experienced coach?

Then again , maybe they'd be worse. Who knows.

9. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

You only say "Coaches don't matter" or "He's just a players' Coach", when your coach sucks.

1 person likes this.
  10. Panda23

Panda23 Member

the only time i've ever shed a tear watching sports was during his embrace with Garnett.

He's a great guy, and the grass is always greener on the other side, but as mentioned I'd be curious as to how we'd perform with a different coach.

11. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

I'm mixed on him. On one hand, I think he's done a pretty good job over all with a young roster that's been in constant transition. On the other hand, some of his rotational decisions really bother me (although he's been better this year; twin Tower experiment aside). His players play hard for him (with the occasional lapse) and that's important. He's not afraid to take chances, and he's flexible enough to adapt his system (what system?) to suit his player's strengths. I also like that he preaches defense and toughness (even if it hasn't translated all that well on the court). I don't consider him a great X's and O's coach. I like Adelman and Van Gundy better, but I'm really eager to see what McHale can do with this team over the 2nd half of the season. I think the verdict is still out on McHale.

1 person likes this.
  12. snorkeljim

snorkeljim Member

I am neutral with him, it could have been worse.

13. TheRealAllpro

TheRealAllpro Morey only fan

This is what I like about Mchale too. He not a true great basketball mind but he came in and brought into Morey's philosophy. It might be interesting one day to see a young gun who already shares Morey's philosophy like Nevada Smith.

14. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

I'd prefer Karl or either Van Gundy, but I will give McHale credit for doing a much better job with player substitutions and coaching the offense during the last few weeks. That obviously has a lot to do with players returning from injury and McHale having more options, but he still deserves props.

15. archinkent

archinkent Member

I see Mchale as a Mike Brown-type of coach - a good players coach who is achieving moderate success with a group of talented players. But I wouldn't call him a good coach.

16. bmd

bmd Member

I am of the opinion that it is preferable for a head coach to be a player's coach.

Let the assistant coaches be the X's and O's coaches. A head coaches job should be player relations, keeping the motivation and morale high, etc. Of course the head coach has his own philosophy as far as X's and O's go, and he has the final say, but I think his main job should be dealing with the players throughout a long season. Getting their minds right.

17. bmd

bmd Member

And ensuring that his team is disciplined.

18. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

He called a timeout early in the 2nd half - ala Popovich - and I nearly shat myself.

It was the right time for that timeout and everything.

No, he is not a good coach - but the team is full of talent.

DD

3 people like this.
  19. Play07

Play07 Member

34-17 keep the core & mchale, no big trades, mchale really likes this group of guys he just wants everyone healthy so he use his rotations. After playoffs then we can see if mchale needs to be replaced and which players from the core need to be traded.

20. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

There are essentially three aspects to NBA coaching:

1. Player management
    2. Coaching philosophy/teaching (practices etc)
    3. Game management

IMO KMc is excellent at #1; so-so at #s 2 and 3. He is also winning at a 67% rate.

I want KMc to succeed; I want him in The Parade. Dadgummit, I am ready for another PARADE!

BTW - - Karl is King. For a day. Georgie just cannot maintain his place with a team. JVG has matured since leaving the Rox gig, but how would he translate as a current day HC? Let's just ride the Kevin McHale horse, and hope he gets another stud steed or two to up the ante for the playoffs.