1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Am I offending people of religion?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by tinman, Jul 31, 2009.

?

Am I offending people of religion in this statement?

1. yes

11 vote(s)
    19.6%
  2. no

34 vote(s)
    60.7%
  3. you offended Gallery Furniture, Mattress Mack, and Marvin Zindler

11 vote(s)
    19.6%
  1. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Who's "Gos??" :confused:

2. ThaBlackKnight

Its Sports!! Its a GAME!

The Rockets were a mentally tough team who were prepared to win a title that year...they had a couple of slip ups, but they came back strong!

It doesn't hurt to have the best player in basketball at the time either...

ITS NOT A MIRACLE...ask any of the ROckets themselves...they would be insulted at that.

3. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

Well that's interesting, what player/players solidified your fan hood?

For me, Steve Francis was really a player who made me love the Rockets. Hakeem made me like the Rockets, if not for watching his play I think I would still be a Bulls fan (I lived in Illinois during the MJ era). So much of who I am is tied in my fandom. I think if I wasn't a Rockets fan I'd be a different person somehow. I think that's why so many of us reach out to the biblical references and such. I'm sorry if it offends you. Maybe sports isn't as important to you, but honestly one of my favorite things to do is something tied in with Sports, Rocket's, and things of that nature. Case in point, I am not the biggest wildcat fan out here, but I still took a job to film at all the Arizona football games. Why? Because there's nothing like being at a game, hearing the crowd roar, the ups and downs, all of it. For me, it's almost a religious experience. But like I said, if that offends you, I won't make light of it in the GARM, and reduce it here in the D&D.

4. ThaBlackKnight

I see that he doesn't apologize...he's NEVER wrong right??

5. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

For some its more than a game. :/

You are debating the Rockets' level of importance on a website devoted entirely to the Houston Rockets (and other houston-based teams).

6. RedRedemption

:eek:
    No. He doesn't apologize because he just doesn't. Right or wrong. He doesn't apologize. Get over it.

7. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

like I mentioned before you weren't old enough to feel the misery of the Houston Sports fans.

Like I said it was a huge miracle, but it seemed like that to the fans who witness the Astros lose to the Mets, the Oilers lose to Buffalo, and the Rockets coming up short.

Sorry dude, MIRACLE is used often in Sports

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/CGACsSW4Iqw&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/CGACsSW4Iqw&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

8. ThaBlackKnight

I LOVE sports...I hope to be working for a sports franchise/college sports one day myself

But, I dont mix religion in with sports. Sports is a hobby/pastime/entertainment/way to keep me in shape.

Religion is my beliefs, my faith, my purpose in life, my morals, how to be better person, how to overcome personal struggles and to stay away from temptations.

They are 2 completely different aspects of my life...theres no problem loving sports...thats why we are here on this board, we are big Rockets fans...but to me, the Rockets aren't my life.

9. tinman

Supporting Member

I didn't offend God and I don't see you as the moral Vatican of Clutchfans.
    Actually it seems Talibanish of you.

10. RedRedemption

You do know that the word miracle doesn't directly tie to religion? :/

11. Pizza_Da_Hut

For someone like me, so much of what I know comes from sports. How to act, how to work well, how to have fun, and I blur the lines of the two often. I don't see sports as just a hobby. Nothing gets under my skin more than when people say, "it's just a game". I dunno, to each their own.

But I do see your point. I hate it when people mix politics and sports. Religion and politics are in the same vein, they can be argued but not discussed, and at the end of the day the two parties don't really accomplish anything. So I do see where you are coming from...

12. tinman

Supporting Member

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/padvnsLUhUM&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/padvnsLUhUM&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

13. ThaBlackKnight

That is not a miracle, just because THE SPORTS MEDIA deems it a miracle, it is not a miracle.

It could've been the fact that the US were better prepared that year...it was a huge upset, one of the biggest sports stories ever worldwide...it was huge in politics as well.

The Astros, Oilers, ROckets, and Cougars lost....who cares!!??

Its disappointing for a week, but theres people dying out there for being a certain race/religion.

People die out there because of suicide bombers, being in wrong/useless wars,

Thers millions of ppl without a job because of the economy,

theres children hungry out there, there are orphans in the world with no place to go (I've seen that with my own eyes as a child visiting India).

When you see stuff like that, then you'll realize that sports is a blessing to our lovely lives that we live. We have food on our table, we have a roof over our head, we have a job, we get to go to school, we get medical treatment, we don't fear for our lives because of our race or religion!

Go watch the news one day or travel to a 3rd world country, and you'll see how blessed we are...my parents came from poverty, thats why I know sports is JUST A GAME.

Ask yourself this, what have the Rockets/Astros/Oilers ever do for you except entertain you and take your money??

14. Southern Select

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/2skwoHvw-3w&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/2skwoHvw-3w&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

15. ThaBlackKnight

You called him "That dude"...

16. Pizza_Da_Hut

They inspired me.

Overcoming adversity, in no matter the realm, is inspiring. What's harder? My vector calc final or 13 points in 35 seconds? If Tmac can do that, why can't I ace my final? Sounds stupid, but like I said to each his own.

17. ThaBlackKnight

Thats your belief, and I respect that. I'm passionate about sports, but I just draw a boundary with religion.

But basically your 2nd paragraph is what I was trying to say. Very well said.

18. tinman

Supporting Member

God gave me and everyone the right to use words.

Like he gave Spike Lee the talent to make a movie like "He Got Game"

Like he gave Tupac the skills to make a song like "Only God can judge me"

Like he gave Clutch the strength to make this bbs so can discuss THE ROCKETS

You don't have to preach to me, you aren't Bono.

I know my statement is not offensive cause there was no intent to insult God or Budda or Allah or Dalai Lama.

Hell it doesn't even offend atheists.

I'm not apologize for nothing at all. That's my God given right.

19. ThaBlackKnight

Well, for me, it was my Dad coming out of a household with 11 siblings, and his parents having barely any money to feed 1/2 their kids for the day.

But yet, my Dad worked hard, got his degree in 1974 in India, and 17 years later we ended up in the states, being able to buy a house, and now he and my mom can afford to send me and my siblings to college, buy a big enough house, and still give back to causes.

Thats my inspiration...my parents survived poverty in a 3rd world country...

20. ThaBlackKnight

Ya, he gave Tupac a talent, but he lived life under God's image right??

He talked about being a gangster and doing this and that to women (calling them offensive names to describe them)

and Clutch did put up a D & D to discuss things of real importance in life.