1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Altuve's Fly Ball%

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by CometsWin, Jul 12, 2015.

1. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

I posted this earlier in the year.

His fly ball% from 2011 to 2014

29.6%
    27.1%
    28.3%
    29.7%

Fly ball% for 2015

34.9%

Other stats that play into this trend. Line drive % is down, infield fly ball percentage is up, pull % is up, soft speed hit balls % is up.

Is this Luhnow's design? I would hope not. It seems obvious that Altuve is hitting more soft fly balls this season than ever before. Gerald Young disease.

2. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

I just think he's missing pitches, it's not by design. His GB% is basically the exact same as it was last year. Some of his line drives are becoming fly outs.

Altuve is a player that just goes up there looking to hit the ball hard. I suspect by years end his ratios will be very similar to what they've been the past 3 years. What type of OPS those ratios lead to is the question mark.

3. cangrejero51

cangrejero51 Member

He is a OPS guy in the .750 range, with an average between .290 to .300, with few walks and a lot of steals. That is what it is, will he hit .340 like last year???? I doubt it but i hope he does

4. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

I'm more concerned about the strikeouts.

5. msn

msn Member

I'm concerned about the Astros' offense in general. I've never liked homer-ball. I'm concerned that they added two Chris Carter clones to an offense that was already bloated on strikeouts and low on BA. And yes--BA matters when you can't hit the friggin' Mendoza line. It's difficult to have an OPS over .300 when you're hitting .190.

Speaking of Chris Carter, and of Altuve, is anyone else missing John Mallee?

6. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

We certainly miss Springer, and it's been really bad since he has been out

But let's not lose sight of the fact that even with the really bad finish heading to the break, we have scored the 4th most runs in ALL of MLB this year

7. cangrejero51

cangrejero51 Member

"reality" is that we are 7th because we are 4th because we've played 91 games, the most by any team, but runs per game, we are 7th. We are scoring 4.34 runs per game.

8. msn

msn Member

Oh, I hear you. And I'm quite aware of the RS stat. I've actually been feeling this way since before Springer was out, but it's just stupid to whine about anything when your recently-historically-suckball team is in first place (or just a half game out, for that matter).

But yeah, the offense concerns me, and it has for a long time now.

9. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Oh no! The Astros only have a top 6 AL offense and only 6 teams make the playoffs so Astros offense will definitely keep Astros from making the playoffs.

10. cangrejero51

cangrejero51 Member

I can tell you that we need improvement on our lineup, we can't win with those guys, we need more OBP hitters in our lineup