1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Altuve & Springer Slump

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Le$$, Aug 31, 2020.

1. HTown2017Champs

I hope we QO him and if he doesn’t resign he’s picked up before the deadline to get the comp pick. We need it. I’m hopeful he can pick things up but I’m starting to be concerned.

Hank McDowell likes this.
  2. PavlovsDog

PavlovsDog Member

I blame Baker.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  3. TWS1986

TWS1986 SPX '05, UH' 19

Well. Altuve at least looking like he belongs more in the majors lately.

HTown2017Champs likes this.
  4. Screaming Fist

72 wRC+ for Altuve at about 1/4 of a full season's PA. That is awful. His xwOBA is down big time as well at .292 for the season as well.

5. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

I'll wait until he starts hitting some doubles. A couple of infield hits (albeit, one on a nice play) and an opposite field single. Very Willy Taverasesque.

6. Screaming Fist

Yeah, the creeping K% is worrying, but the complete collapse in his offensive production is due to his minuscule .101 ISO this season.

HTown2017Champs likes this.
  7. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Altuve has more or less started to look like himself over the last 2 weeks. He's making some solid contact, and his K rate is way down. One can reasonably chalk up his erratic start to a lack of ST. His numbers are gonna be sub par this season given his awful start, but I'm feeling less concerned with him.

Springer, for whatever reason, is hitting an inordinate number of pop ups this season. All of his other ratios seem to be in line with his career trends, but instead of lazy ground balls that may find a hole...he's hitting pop ups which are by far the worst type of batted ball. He's also pulling the ball way more than ever. Maybe the controversy has gotten to him and he's trying to do too much, but Springer has had stretches like this in the past where he stops letting the contact happen and tries too much to make hard contact.

8. TWS1986

TWS1986 SPX '05, UH' 19

I seem to remember this as well for Springer. Wasn't he like 1 for 900 in one World Series or postseason? Before hitting better.

9. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Springer will always be streaky. I think minor injuries have derailed his season more this year than anything else.

He was going along good... then hurt the wrist. Then he seems to be getting back in a groove and gets the bad HBP. Now the entire lineup is faced with having 5 off days in 7 days and trying to get their timing back.