1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    Where will the Houston Rockets pick in the 2024 NBA Draft? We're watching the NBA Draft Lottery results live on Sunday, with the room discussion starting at 1:30pm CT. Come join us!

NBA Draft Lottery - LIVE!

Altuve signs with Scott Boras

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by awc713, Jul 8, 2016.

1. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

Agree with this, barring some weird injuries to him or a lot of others that put the entire future in doubt.

And I don't see the point in worrying about something that's years away right now. Interesting to know, but pointless to make predictions. I can't imagine the team, fans, or front office will do anything different in the meantime because of this.

2. Buck Turgidson

And the Boras thing is totally overrated. He and the Astros brass at the time had a terrible relationship after the Beltran fiasco, it got personal. He's not disliked around MLB, he just does a great job of getting his players the best deal possible, it's ultimately the player's call though.

3. RockFanFirst

RockFanFirst Member

Right, and I think I've read that Luhnow and Boras have a decent relationship. It was the previous regime (and Drayton) that had issues with Boras.

4. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

Interesting thing about this is the timing. Altuve might want a re-negotiate and extend which would be beneficial for all sides if we can buy an extra year or two out of his free agency.

5. Airdough

Airdough Member

Astros already bought out his free agent years. He's likely going back to Boras so he can better capitalize on his popularity with endorsement deals. After next season, the Astros have two additional club options on his contract for 6 and 6.5MM. There's nothing to see here or get worried about right now.

6. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

I'm not worried about it at all, we have him for 3 more years regardless.

7. tested911

tested911 Member

You serious?? The best 2nd baseman in the league and putting up some numbers equal to some of the top 10 2nd baseman in the "History" baseball?

The dude is going to command easily 200 Million as a STARTING price.

Correa is a starting 250 guy.. and Springer is going to be 150+

8. the shark

the shark Member

We have him for three more yrs. No sense getting bent out of shape about something that may or may not happen (him leaving).

9. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

Eh, he's a second basemen. Those guys are bound to Houston like it or not. I trust we won't pull another Joe Morgan, but that was a trade not a FA loss.

10. Buck Turgidson

Exactly right, or not.

Yes. Not sure what you're trying to say here.

11. awc713

awc713 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Xander Bogaerts is same age Jose Altuve was when he took extension. Altuve’s advice? &quot;Oh, don’t sign anything. Wait&quot; <a href="https://t.co/kf5lwcGJeP">https://t.co/kf5lwcGJeP</a></p>&mdash; Evan Drellich (@EvanDrellich) <a href="https://twitter.com/EvanDrellich/status/752915165452959744">July 12, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

12. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Astros may have to try and be pro-active with a raise/re-nogiated extension.... going to cost them more, but very likely less than it would come free agency time, and they lock him up for more years (think Harden's recent deal).

However, all Altuve would have to do is just follow his advice... and wait.

13. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

He's not going to sign an extension now unless it's ridiculous money. I wouldn't blame the Astros for trying and I won't blame Altuve for turning it down.

14. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I think Jon Singleton needs to be called up and placed in the locker next to Correa with Altuve moved as far away as possible.:grin:

15. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Of course.

Any re-negotiation should simply be about trying to extend his prime years here. His current contract keeps him an Astro till age 29 at basically minimum wage. You add more money to those years... and 2-3 more of big-cash years... and you end up retaining him through his early 30's.

Waiting till he's finally a free agent will result in overpriced past-prime years, and he's more than welcome to go for that (in terms of reparations for underpaid years), but I don't think the Astros will be the ones forking it over, and he'll get less in the short-term.

16. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

Always two sides to these issues though, I would venture a guess than big Jon is very very happy that he "took the deal"

17. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Hindsight is 20/20. Altuve was coming off a .290/.340/.399 with 1.4 WAR season and had a .280/.317/.354 line when he signed the deal. We all thought it was a team friendly deal, but it was hard to expect it to become arguably the best value contract in baseball. Bogaerts is a much better player at 23 while also playing SS than Altuve was.

All players should consider extensions, you just have to weigh the pros and cons and make sure you get a good deal. I'd be wary of Team options.

18. RockFanFirst

RockFanFirst Member

Is it just me, or does Drellich's tweet make it sound as though Altuve was taken advantage of? Or is it just that I still can't stand Drellich?

19. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

No. Yes.

20. conquistador#11

Had forgotten evan "wrote" for the chronicle. Know it makes sense. At first I was like why would someone ask Altuve that.
    Mofo' trollin' like a mudder.