1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Alston/Chuck/Battier/JHo/Deke/Head/Bonzi/Snyder+4 fairly low 1st rounders+no capspace

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by meh, Feb 24, 2011.

1. meh

meh Contributing Member

Is what Morey's had to work with since becoming the GM. Since then, in the past two seasons without Yao and T-Mac, the Rockets have basically been .500 team. That is pure average, or slightly above average if you want to take into account the East-West discrepancy. To put it simply, Morey has turned the player/picks in the title into an average basketball team.

Is it really so bad that Morey can't flip the above things into a superstar? Given that Houston has nothing to offer to said superstars besides... nothing? Look, I get the "We should've tanked already" argument. And in many ways I supported that last year. Although I feel that's more on Les to keep surrounding Yao and prevent dip in ticket sales. But I see the argument for tanking last year and this year.

But I honestly don't get the "Morey failed because our role players aren't enough for a superstar" argument.

1 person likes this.
  2. ryan_98

ryan_98 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

it was average to begin with.

3. BleedRocketsRed

BleedRocketsRed Contributing Member

Thank you.

Martin, Scola and Lowry are better than anybody on that list. Hell, I'd take Lee/Dragic over most of them.

Nothing you can do about injuries to Yao/TMac. He was supposed to build around them and this current squad would be pretty damn good if Yao were healthy (especially had they kept Battier).

4. BleedRocketsRed

BleedRocketsRed Contributing Member

How in the world is that supporting cast "average"? Its utter ****.

5. freeze00up

freeze00up Member

morey has done a fine job at GM and he is really great in that he is always making moves.

how many of the other poor/average teams did not make trade deadline moves?
    our GM is constantly making moves that keep fan interest and make the best of the situation and most of these moves turned out great for us

Morey is a good GM until proven otherwise, just because he can't land a superstar does not make him incompetent, if we had a bunch of bad deals and bloated contracts things would be different

6. Dei

Dei Member

Did we trade Chuck Hayes? I can't remember there being another Chuck of note in recent memory.

7. smuduffy

smuduffy Member

It would be interesting if anyone could put together the entire list of players he started with and ended up with, while making notes of injuries. I think that would demonstrate how good he has been.
    Honestly, I'm just happy to have a gm that can draft instead of what we went through during the cd years. I mean brooks, landry, bud may not be allstars, but they we re also 2nd rders plus late 1st.no more novaks or wasting 3 mid 1sts instead of rashard, etc.

Morey just needs to package players to move up in draft and draft a star

8. JCDenton

JCDenton Member

When has the team ever been 41-41 or better without Yao and/or Tmac? Tmac was still here last year when we were 42-40. Without him, it looks like we'll finish the year well under .500.

9. foo82

foo82 Member

What the...I'll take whatever you're smoking.

10. moreyball

moreyball Member

How do I rep you???

11. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

I like how you mention all the deals that were average but fail to leave out all the good deals he has done.

Martin
    Scola
    Brooks
    Patterson
    Landry
    Lowry

Just to name a few. If you are going to bring up points questioning his ability as a GM you can't leave out major details like that just to make your point.

12. AggieRocketsFan

According to my extensive chart, it is more than likely only alcohol, but JCDenton could also be experimenting with some mar1juana.

[​IMG]

13. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

I think you missed the point of the thread. He's actually commending Morey. Saying the players we brought in (that you listed) were acquired with all the crap he mentioned in the thread title.

He built a team around two franchise players with nothing at his disposal but crap. While this team was never meant to be contenders without superstars (they're a team of role players after all), they still managed to have a winning record last season. Morey built a more successful team with crap than most GMs of bottom-feeding teams have been able to build with multiple, consecutive years of lottery picks and cap space (two extremely valuable team-building luxuries the Rockets haven't had in Morey's tenure).

He's done an unbelievable job without those luxuries, let's see what this guy can actually do now that he will have them.

#13 DCkid, Feb 25, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2011
    1 person likes this.