1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Alright... Who's been to Thailand?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Ehsan, May 27, 2007.

1. Ehsan

Ehsan Member

I'm guessing not many, but I'm planning a trip there and would appreciate any sugegstions, recommendations or advice...

Basically just me and a couple of friends... We're in our mid 20's, open to pretty much any kind of fun...

It's gonna be 10 days... From what I've heard, I shoudl stay in Bangkok for 2-3 days and then explore...

Ideas?

2. mateo

mateo Contributing Member

Spent a few weeks there.

Bangkok is cool.

To eat: I highly recommend Cabbages and Condoms for dinner. Killer food and the owner donates a large portion of his proceeds to fight AIDS. Also a place called Lemongrass. Both are accessible via the skytrain.

There's a scam the tuk tuk drivers might pull on you in the tourist sector (northern part of town near the palace)....they'll agree to take you somewhere IF you go to a jewelry store or clothes store first. The drivers get fuel coupons this way. Tell em to **** off and take the water taxi instead.

The Red Cross Snake Farm is really cool...you can see people handle cobras and you learn about antivenom. Its close to PatPong where all you vices can be addressed. No matter what your beliefs are about the sex trade, you should visit it just to see the insanity. Its not like they are going to force you to see "Two women razor blade cigarette ping pong coke bottle p***y show"....but you can read their menus.

I went to a couple kickboxing matches in the big arena and I recommend it. Its difficult to get cheap seats since they tend to sell them to the locals and the hotels push the VIP seats on you. I did both, I thought the VIP seats were worth the $30 since you get like 2 hours of people kicking each other's asses.....but the gen admin seats (behind the fences, not really seats) were an experience also.

Its worth taking a bus outta town and checking out the water markets. You shop via a canoe.

The islands are pretty bad ass, but I have not been since the washout so I cant help you out there. Just be careful about drugs there. They are abundant, but the Thais crack down hard core on drug smuggling and I dont think its worth the risk. My dad was an ambassador out there and you have no idea how many American 20 somethings they had to bail outta trouble.

Northern Thailand, near the border, has some cool ecotourism...white water rafting, elephant riding through the jungles, mountain biking...all fun. Also you can see the actual Bridge Over the River Kwai if that floats your boat.

3. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Been to Bangkok a few times, and to Phuket/Phi Phi. It's great. Phi Phi is where they filmed "The Beach" with Leonardo di Caprio.

[​IMG]

4. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Been to Bangkok for a short time. Didn't like it. Definitely not my favorite place in Asia.

5. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Who's looking for 12 year old prostitutes?

6. cur.ve

cur.ve Contributing Member

yeah 2 days in bangkok is enough, although ten days is not much considering travel time. you can either go north or south. but in two days you can see the temples, snake farm, patpong, river market and sample the cuisine in the capital.

north you get river rafting, hikes, elephant treks, etc. chiang mai is crawling with tourists, but you can still find some local flavor in the smaller towns.

south you get scuba diving, beaches, and... beaches.

both are pretty accessible by train or a short flight. i would account for two days of travel to and from bangkok, so that leaves you about six days to do whatever. i like koh tao for scuba diving, but for white sand beaches you can hit further south to koh phi phi and some of the smaller islands. then there's also the full moon festival... if that's your thing.

anyways, you'll enjoy thailand.. it's a good intro to se asia. watch out for the ladyboys, though.

7. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

talking about 12 year old pros

did anyone watch the documentary about the kid prostitution ring in Cambodia

****in disgusting **** :mad:

8. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

damnit damnit damnit

beat me to it.

9. dntrwl

dntrwl Member

Don't forget the half man / half woman society.

10. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

You should totally score some heroin and try to smuggle it out of the country.

11. Kyakko

Kyakko Contributing Member

might i recommend this definitive video guide to bangkok?:

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/23nIY3ot-ug"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/23nIY3ot-ug" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

12. serious black

serious black Contributing Member

The island of Ko Samed (or Samet, it is spelled both ways). Half the island is cheap american/euro bungalows of the ten dollar a night nasty variety. The other half is really nice and maybe 50 dollars a night. The wife and I went there for our honeymoon and had a beautiful beach mostly all to ourselves. Island is close to Bankok. It doesn't rain there, even in the rainy season.

13. micah1j

micah1j Member

Go to Nana Plaza in Bangkok and see a girl show. Patpong is an overpriced tourist trap. :D

If you're looking for a 12 year old prostitute like moestavern19 then you'll need to go to Cambodia. :eek:

Your hotel will check your guests ID to ensure proper age & sex. be safe, wear a condom and have a good time. :cool:

14. Bobblehead

Bobblehead Contributing Member

You know too much information man!!!

15. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I've been there four times and 2-3 days in bangkok is enough. One day to go sight seeing and the other to shop. Food in Thailand is awesome. I would definitely go to Phuket (beaches) and Chang Mai(Mountains).

If you have 4 or more people, I would recommend renting a van and a driver. It should cost you about 40-50 dollars a day. They will drive you where ever you want to and wait for you. I beats taking taxis and such.

Hotels in Thailand should cost you between 50-150 a night depending on where you are. 150 should get you a private bungalo.

16. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Loaded with Saudi & Pakistani men who go there to bone hookers.

17. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

There's a reason Thighland's capital is called Bangcock. From there you can go to Phukkit beach where you can meet a surprisingly high number of girls called p*rn.

18. BroadwayBelm

BroadwayBelm Member

Real World Denver went. There's 20 minutes of footage to watch.

19. Yaozer

Yaozer Member

Walk around picking fights like Ong Bak

20. Sishir Chang

Sishir Chang Contributing Member

I was there in Phuket 2 years ago a month after the tsunami. Even then though Phuket had recoverted quite a bit and I suspect everything is open and available now. Patong is the main tourist town in Phuket and is your typical tourist party town but from there you can get around to some of the other resort towns that are quieter. The hardest hit area is in Khao Lak which is a 100 KM north of Phuket. I doubt their beach resorts are back on their feet but there are some nice nature resorts there a bit inland that were unaffected.

Obviously the tsunami didn't affect any of the east coast beaches but due to tsunami recovery you can probably find some good deals on Phuket and they still need tourism to return to recover.

Also if you are planning on going now I think it is currently the rainy season. The best time to go weather wise is Nov. to May.