1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Alperen Sengun's Height

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by don grahamleone, Oct 5, 2023.

1. invocux

invocux Member

R-tards probably missed but the ones with functional mammal brain and eyes saw Sabonis and him standing next to each other in ft line and came to the conclusion that they are both 6'11. He didn't look half an inch smaller but you can always listen to r-tards trying to convince you that he's 6'9-6'10 but i wouldn't recommend.

HardenReturns likes this.
  2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

6'9"

Same as Scola.

DD

3. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

Why are you posting pics from the draft when Sengun has said he's grown?

"I think I'm right now like [6-foot-11]," Şengün said during an appearance on the Bradeaux & Will Show. "When I came to [the] NBA I was [6-foot-9]. ... I've grown a little bit, but I don't think I'm 7-foot without shoes."

https://www.chron.com/sports/rockets/article/rockets-alperen-sengun-height-18198934.php

Anyone saying 6'9 clearly just has a bias. He and Bari are both about 6'11.

invocux, cmoak1982 and HardenReturns like this.
  4. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

How is it possible that Sengun doesn't know how tall he is... was this one of the things Dillon was talking about when he called out Alp to the media?

Nook, SamFisher and Houston77 like this.
  5. Houston77

Supporting Member

Sengun doesn’t know Sengun’s height. Only @DaDakota does. And, I guess Scola by extension.

invocux and AroundTheWorld like this.
  6. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

I tried that but the results left Mrs. rimrocker disappointed.

7. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Find a current picture then that shows him the same size as Mark Williams.

Like, if you're going to claim they're the same size - proof?

Any proof?

Otherwise I'm going to say the 7 foot listed guy who looks taller - is taller than the non 7 foot guy.

Arnel and Nook like this.
  8. CXbby

CXbby Member

Really couldn’t care less anymore. In his rookie year this was an interesting question because his height may hinder his game translating to the NBA. That’s obviously been proven not the case on offense. And even on defense now under Udoka. So who cares?

cmoak1982 and AroundTheWorld like this.
  9. Houston77

Supporting Member

I'm not saying Sengun is as big as Mark Williams. I'm saying it's not fair to post a pic from the draft when Sengun has clearly grown.

This whole thread is a fascinating example of selection bias. Those who want a bigger center find ways to convince themselves that Sengun is 6'9, and those who really like Sengun find ways to convince themselves that he may be over 7 feet. The truth, however, is pretty apparent -- Sengun is about 6'11, as confirmed by his own words.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  10. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

11. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

lmao

12. SamFisher

Who is it unfair to? The SOFs?

Maybe Mark Williams has grown too. He's only 8 months older.

According to the MWOF's " he has been officially listed at 7’2” in shoes."

https://studentunionsports.com/mark-williams-will-be-a-huge-steal-in-the-2022-nba-draft/

I dont get why SOF's care so much about Sengun's listed height. He's clearly undersized for a center but uses it to his advantage, the best he can, with a lower center of gravity.

Obviouslyt is a hindrance when true 7+footers like Mark Williams are able to block his shot, but them's the breaks.

13. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

That's not Mark Williams though

Nook, cmoak1982 and glimmertwins like this.
  14. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

The only thing that matters is - is Alpi any good(absolutely). I was pretty close to the court in the last game and him and Sabonis were very similar in size -hard to tell with hair but I would think they are within a half inch of each other…but Sabonis is listed as 7’1” and that can NOT be true because he is at least a couple of inches shorter than McGee who is listed at 7’.

Watching these guys all walking around each other Saturday, my guess is McGee is 7’1” or even 7’2”(with enormous shoes on) and I think that puts Sabonis and Alpi both somewhere between 6'11" and a hair under 7'. I do some carpentry on the side and am normally fairly good at eye balling dimensions but again there is some play here because Sengun's hair is kind of poofy so it's hard to tell exactly where he would be marked by a medical professional. Jabari seems like a legit 6'11".

The more important difference I think is Sabonis and Jabari both seem to have much taller reaches than Sengun. It was apparent when watching these guys grab rebounds - Jabari could get things much higher out of the air than Sengun could. Obviously you could also see it in vertical contests as well. I think that's where Sengun's rumored growth spurt maybe doesn't mean much because he still has relatively short arms and lacks vertical jumping height so unless blocking shots with your head is a new thing, then the reality is he is still effectively shorter as a big than PF sized bigs like Sabonis and Jabari....but that isn't all bad - Alpi is wider and has a stronger frame so I would think he could leverage those strengths to competitive advantage which would allow him to offset the lack of length....but that means he has to get a body on guys to block them out for rebounds and he has to learn to vertically contest and absorb contact from drivers and be strong enough that his body doesn't fall back and allow precious space when offensive players are driving at him.

Nook, AlperenSengun and SamFisher like this.
  15. SamFisher

We need more carpenters courtside to settle this debate once and for all.

cryout75 likes this.
  16. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

[​IMG]

I'll take Sengun, thanks

Nook likes this.
  17. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

yeah, looks like Hassan Whiteside who is a legit 7' - maybe even a little taller.

18. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

Haha - well I'm a business professional but I grew up with a handyman Dad so I try to build nice things as a hobby.

19. Houston77

Supporting Member

You're right!

I need your response NOW, @SamFisher

20. Houston77

Supporting Member

Hey look, y'all -- a pic of Sengun and Wemby! Pretty closing considering Wemby is like 7'4!

[​IMG]