1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Alperen Sengun's Height

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by don grahamleone, Oct 5, 2023.

1. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

Exactly, he is tall enough. As I have been saying, history has shown there are many short players that has thrived in the league.

My issue is, although he plays well against players his size or shorter, he does not present enough of a defensive presence against players that are bigger than he is. And I go back to Charles Barkley as an example, he was a 6'4 PF and he played well against EVERYBODY. Size does not matter.

However, I don't understand how Jokic got 38pts and 19rbs the other day against Sengun and people are saying he played good defense.

Sure we got the win but to me if someone nearly doubles your output that doesnt show me that you played good defense! Am I wrong?

2. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Yes.

jordnnnn and cmoak1982 like this.
  3. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

It’s not about him being tall enough. You keep lying saying he’s 6’9. He’s 6’11.
    It’s about being honest, which is difficult for you and your biases.
    And of course you would take total numbers and not context to prove he’s a “bad” defender.

You were for sure one of the guys making excuses last year for KPJ when guards were getting historic numbers against us. Let me guess, it wasn’t his fault.

4. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

How did we get to KPJ? He is no longer apart of the Rockets. We're discussing Sengun. And like I asked, explain to me why there are comments on this page and tweets that he played good defense against Jokic, when he had 38 and 19?

That's where this discussion is.

5. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

For the season(and his career)Jokic scores a lot of points at an Uber elite level of efficiency.

Against Houston he scored a lot of points on very crappy efficiency.

That’s what Westbrook did for like 4-5 years on OKC. Huge numbers on crap efficiency and a team loss.

Forcing the opposing teams best player to score on much lower efficiency than they usually do generally implies some good defense was played.

6. Rockets4Life13

I don't understand why were discussing Sengun's defense when he's the starting C, playing 33MPG on the team with the 2nd best defensive rating in the league

burlesk and AroundTheWorld like this.
  7. cmlmel77

cmlmel77 Up all Night Watching Houston Sports
    Supporting Member

An NBA team takes an average of 81 shots per game. If a star player takes enough of those, they will score a lot of points. Actually any player will score a lot of points if they take enough shots. Nix could get 50 if you let him take 60 shots. Repeatedly saying "but he scored 38" is beyond silly. And citing rebounds as evidence of defense is even sillier - those were mainly defensive rebounds, and by definition Sengun is not defending the defender.

Denver averages 87 shots a game. Giving Jokic 31 of them, and having him score 38 points, results in an expected team score of 107 - and that is assuming his teammates can match Jokic's efficiency, which of course they cannot (which is why they scored only 89). But even if they did match Jokic, the Rockets average 109ppg, so 38 points on 31 shots is a losing ratio for Denver.

That was the strategy, and Sengun did his job by keeping Jokic at only 38 on those 31 shots. If his defense was worse, Jokic would have shot a higher % and/or taken more shots ... and the strategy would fail.

cryout75, Boii and dream2clips like this.
  8. Rokman

Rokman Member

38 and 19 seems just a hair over Jokic's average. I wouldn't look too much into it. Nothing to see here folks. Move along.

(That's sarcasm for those who didn't catch it)

Ankara1923 likes this.
  9. Ankara1923

Ankara1923 Member

Jokic had similar points and assists numbers and lower rebs but they easily beaten poor Spurs.

Rockets is a top level team now. Not easily defeatable.

Rokman likes this.
  10. conquistador#11

One has to be trolling to not understand that if you hold someone that was shooting 58% to 44% on over 30+ fgs, you've done an outstanding job on Defense.
    Lame-os

Moe, cryout75 and AroundTheWorld like this.
  11. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

The discussion started about his size. I still think he is 6'9 - 6'10 at best. I still think he struggles against bigger centers, similar to Bam Adeboyo. They play well against players their size or smaller and its nothing wrong with that.

But against the bigger players; AD, Jokic, Embiid, etc. they tend to struggle.

And in the playoffs, which is where Im hoping the Rockets get to, they will face bigger players. The better teams tend to have the bigger players. Except of course GS, which has exceptional shooting. And in the playoffs, as we know, individual matchups are enhanced because the game slows down.

12. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

He’s not 6’9. You’re just wrong. He’s clearly about 6’11, which means he’s probably around 7’0 in shoes.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  13. Houston77

Supporting Member

BigMaloe and Boii like this.
  14. conquistador#11

Go back to Jokic and Embid's game splits when they were 21-22 years old. They struggled with vets, horribly like 11 points against Utah. 8 points vs an older Brook Lopez. 6 points vs 24 year old Drummond, 3 years of experience is a lot.
    https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/j/jokicni01.html
    Have some fukkin patience.

Ankara1923 and AroundTheWorld like this.
  15. burlesk

burlesk Serious business

[​IMG]

Actual leaked footage of next month

Sengun's rapid development continues to amaze.

Rumors are he's grown more than 80 feet in the last month or so.

Debate continues to rage over whether it's more in his hair or in his neck, and is Jabari still just stooped over in pictures of them together, or is it real? Have his shoulders actually gotten lower? He seems to be shapeshifting on a daily basis, and it's hard to pin down. Especially now that he seems to have gained total mental control over matter at a molecular level.

What's next for the surprising young breakout star? Coach Ime Udoka is tight-lipped about his plans for the Rockets, but inside sources say he's considering preemptive strikes against remaining rebel teams, with complete dissolution of their atomic bonds being one top option. Sengun only said in his presser after the Rockets literally dispatched the Warriors last night, "I am so happy! Coach Udoka has given me the green light to finally play freely and without concern for the lives of our opponents!... By the way, can anyone tell me where that Slenderman guy might be?"

In other news, Referee Scott Foster's whereabouts continue to be unknown... League sources say forming a search party has been difficult, due to lack of interest. NBPA rep Chris Paul assured us, though, during a Zoom call earlier today that he was getting right on it, and would be putting his best men on the case for sure by the end of the week, next Thursday at the latest.

#275 burlesk, Nov 27, 2023
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2023
    Easy and Boii like this.
  16. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

3rd year 21 year old center might struggle sometimes against the 3-5 best veteran all nba/MVP caliber centers.

Shocking and alarming.

17. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

It's literally all he has left lol.

18. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

As I have stated before, pictures are deceiving. You can see one thing in a picture and a different thing in a different picture. In other words a PICTURES CAN BE DECEIVING.

Hakeem was listed at 7ft when we all know he was 6'9 - 6'10 at best, Ralph Sampson was listed at 7'4 and I believe he was a true 7'3 - 7'4. I have stood next to both. In the picture below, Hakeem appears to be an inch or two shorter than Ralph, when in reality, he was 6 inches shorter than Ralph.

Their shoulders appear to be similar in height and chest levels. But we all know Ralph was way taller than Dream

upload_2023-11-27_9-46-51.png

burlesk likes this.
  19. Houston77

Supporting Member

HE LITERALLY SAID HE’S 6’11.

"I think right now I'm 6-11 without shoes," Sengun said. "When I came to the NBA [in 2021] I was 6-foot-9, but after one year [2020] they said the same thing, that I'd grown. So, they measured me again and I was 6-foot-10. Now I'm like 6-foot-11."

https://www.si.com/nba/rockets/news/houston-rockets-center-alperen-sengun-reveals-growth-spurt

Boii and Prince_Hakeem like this.
  20. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Because you for sure were making excuses for KPJ getting lit up by every guard last year but now Alp goes up against the best player in the game and does well in context but he’s held to a different standard by you.

HardenReturns likes this.