1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Alperen Sengun spins and a gliding dunk!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Shaq2Yao, Dec 2, 2022.

1. O-dawg

O-dawg Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Man that move was so nice. I'm not going to touch the athleticism debate because the simple fact is not many 6'10 big men can pull off a spin move like that. It was quick too. Before I knew it he was at the rim.

And the foot work, he knew what he was going to do when he received the ball and set it up with the slight step left only to spin right... that's guard like movement.

2. maj21

maj21 Member

I don’t believe his vert is that high lol. I factor his fluidity to him just being a good skilled basketball player

burlesk likes this.
  3. aaquaa

aaquaa Member

Dwight wasn't a great athlete.
    He was a freak with a Superman cape.

4. maj21

maj21 Member

@cmoak1982 something else I wanna add. You said Sengun’s for is 34-35 inches… young Blake Vert was 36, so you’re telling me Sengun is on his level?

burlesk likes this.
  5. burlesk

burlesk Serious business
    Supporting Member

I don't know but I suspect his extreme flexibility must be a secret weapon for him, too (?). He's got those Reed Richards moves.

6. maj21

maj21 Member

Facts.. we’re gonna see that fool on dancing with the stars someday and he’s gonna be doing the splits lol

AroundTheWorld and burlesk like this.
  7. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

It’s not a debate. His head is above the bottom of the backboard in several pics.
    That puts him at about 34/35”

Drift Monkey likes this.
  8. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Max vert, that’s what Blake tested. If he trained it would be higher. Basketball players have a fixed point to go to, no need in jumping higher than they have to.
    Alp isn’t going to be much higher than that, he just has to get more explosive from a standstill

Drift Monkey and hakeem94 like this.
  9. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

That’s also not mentioning in game athleticism vs non competitive testing.

Drift Monkey and hakeem94 like this.
  10. maj21

maj21 Member

I just don’t think he has a vert that high. If he did with his height, he would be one of the best dunkers in the league.

11. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

@Verbal Christ
    slowfooted, cant drive and attack the rim

Drift Monkey and LeDakota like this.
  12. conquistador#11

My favorite part was Sengun making a fool out of "rim protectors" the first half but yeah rim protectors.

Drift Monkey and cmoak1982 like this.
  13. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

His reach isn’t good enough. His wingspan is ok, but standing reach isn’t because of a long neck. That’s why he plays smaller than 6’10/11.

But it’s not debatable how high his vert is. Bottom of backboard is 9’6 his head is above it while jumping forward. Simple math tells you that’s 33” plus adding another inch or two if he was jumping straight up.
    The thing that’s different with him is his standing vert and explosiveness isn’t great. He’s probably a 8” - 10” difference in standing/max. He has to work explosiveness and strength. He seems to be working it because he’s getting better from two feet stand still.

Drift Monkey, amaru and aaquaa like this.
  14. aaquaa

aaquaa Member

You know what, I don't think that big boy has ever worked on his vertical. His size was adequate for the Turkish league and he has never relied on his athleticism anyway.
    Back in the day, basketball players sometimes worked out with volleyball players to increase their vertical. Now there are special exercises for this.
    Alpi's only 20 and still hasn't lost all his baby fat. He's still growing into his body.
    If he puts his mind to it, I'm sure he can easily add a couple of inches to his vertical.

Drift Monkey, cmoak1982 and maj21 like this.
  15. maj21

maj21 Member

He needs my vert and all problems would be solved then ;)

16. maj21

maj21 Member

He could, it’s possible. But he’s not gonna all of a sudden be super explosive

cmoak1982 and aaquaa like this.
  17. aaquaa

aaquaa Member

Not a chance.
    Explosiveness has to do with the amount of white fiber in your muscles. Let's say you're a very good sprinter or a high jumper in your childhood and early teens; that means you have more "explosive fibers" than average, which you need in order to be a proficient athlete.
    I am sure Alpi is lacking in that department.
    It's the hand he's dealt, but he's trying his best to maximize what he's got.

18. maj21

maj21 Member

To be fair and honest with you and @cmoak1982 , Jabari doesn’t have a vertical at all and it’s talked about less. Same with Garuba! I just think our front court isn’t very explosive lol

19. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

They just need to get stronger, maximize their capability. Once they develop grown man strength they’ll be solid.
    At least they aren’t completely ground bound.

20. aaquaa

aaquaa Member

Jabari has arrived in the NBA with very good shooting fundamentals.
    During the beginning of the season he stank, but judging by his mechanics, I was sure he had a lot in his bag. Now his shot's there, and he's shooting even better than I expected. These last couple of games we had glimpses of his inside game too, I'm sure it will be at least adequate on the NBA level.
    What actually worried me was his slim body type (I was against drafting Chet too) but hey, pleasant surprise: He can bang with the big boys!

Garuba is a lovable, vicious oversized LOtR dwarf. Got no sense of mass or dimension, that one. He will try to bully any big in the paint and succeed more than half the time. :D

Those young guys have the most important trait of all: BBIQ. That will serve us better than their vertical when we have our team defense, in fact our system if we have one, down pat.