1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Alperen Sengun is the Rockets' REAL franchise player - all other threads are copycats

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by AroundTheWorld, Jan 17, 2023.

1. Rokman

Rokman Member

The guys I want to keep long term go in this order:

Sengun
    Eason
    Jabari
    Thompson
    Whitmore

HardenReturns likes this.
  2. conquistador#11

Kenyon Martin jr is averaging 2 minutes! with the 76ers. We need him back because these players refuse to cut to the basket. 3 automatic baskets to a cutter per game if they did the simple things.

3. OremLK

OremLK Member

Just need Amen back. Except for kinda-sorta being able to shoot, he should be able do everything KJ could do and a lot more.

roslolian and HardenReturns like this.
  4. cml750

cml750 Member

People wanted to compare him to Kanter however Jokic is a better comparison. Hakeem94 was laughed at for comparing him to Larry Bird last year however it is actually a great comparison in terms of basketball IQ, fundamentals, and getting the most out of body with limited athletic ability.

5. cml750

cml750 Member

He needs to start shooting them one legged leaning back. He has a knack for making those types of shots.;)

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  6. Old School74

Old School74 Member
    Supporting Member

This is a post from trade JG forum but I think it is fitting in this forum, too. As a Turkish Rockets fan and Sengun enthusiast, I will not sh** on Jalen or anyone else in the TEAM, unless Alpie's trajectory is 120/50/30...and he can defend opposing teams all by himself.

However, Sengun was put in this demoralizing, seems like impossible situation more than 2 years by this fan base, by this organization, and I dare to say by Silas, the man who we should never name again. Sengun responded by putting his head down and working. Jabari was in this situation (not as bad as Sengun's situation) earlier. He responded so far. I wanna see how Jalen will respond.

These are growing pains for Jalen and if he responds the right way, he will be great. That will make our team one step closer to championship. I have hope at this point!

7. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Look at the bright side. He wouldn't be an MIP candidate this year if they didn't hold him back the past two years. :D

8. Hemingway

Hemingway Member
    Supporting Member

Exactly. KMJ didn’t play defense. Amen is excellent already. He has better handles and is really fast and quick. He will adjust to the NBA and be an all-star sooner rather than later. Just needs to get healthy and stay healthy. It sucked that he got hurt so soon and lost out on a lot of practice time. NBA teams hardly ever practice during the season.

9. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

10. rimrocker

rimrocker Member

Here's my thinking as of today:

This is still a very young team that--given the Silas years--are in many ways going through another rookie year together.

In the NBA, consistency is the ultimate skill.

Sengun is now one of the few non-tradeable assets in the NBA. Also, if Udoka and Stone manage this well, there will be free agents that want to play with Sengun.

I like what I'm seeing this year from Jabari. Though he has a lot to work on, his main challenge will be assertiveness and consistency from play to play, game to game. He's still too much giraffe and not enough Slenderman. I don't know if he's part of The Core, but I would keep him in my 5-year plan with the belief that he will continue to improve.

Same with a 100% healthy Tari.

Green has great talent but also has the most easily replaceable skillset. Working around Sengun, there are several guys out there that can get 15 regularly and 25 on occasion while playing better defense. His great challenge is consistent improvement and game consistency on both ends. If he can reach a just basic level of consistency, it will unlock a lot for this team. (Admittedly, I have no idea how teams are strategically defending him and whether it has an effect from game to game, but again, he should be able to reach a consistent level regardless.)

Too early to make a call on Amen and Cam, though it sure would be nice for one of them to work out and it'd be great if both do.

11. MystikArkitect

Just a reminder that if we draft either of Cade or Mobley, we do not have Sengun on the roster.

roslolian and conquistador#11 like this.
  12. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Sure, that's an assumption.....but that's also like saying if we have Sengun we wouldn't draft Jabari.

Since we did, it's possible that the team could have gotten Mobley and Sengun....and if they did, they'd have been a lot better.

13. TriumVirate

TriumVirate Member

His defensive rebounding is fine. Remember the 2nd game against Kings when Sengun was 2 rebounds away from a triple double and during the interview he was asked if he knew he was 2 rebounds away from it. Udoka was in the background saying "box out Sabonis." Udoka is literally telling Sengun his job is to box out for his teammates. Sengun has always been a great rebounder in his young career. He's actually averaging the most defensive rebounds in his career this year.

14. TriumVirate

TriumVirate Member

We wouldn't pick Mobley with Sengun. Sengun needs shooters around him and Mobley is not a shooter. Our paint would be clogged if we have Sengun and Mobley. The reason we drafted Jabari is because he was the BPA and his game also fits Sengun and a lot of teams in general. Versatile defender that can (supposedly) shoot 3s is rare and coveted. The only player that would fit Sengun better would be Chet.

15. jim1961

jim1961 Member

IDK about all this franchise nonsense, but Sengun is our most important and impactful player we got right now.

conquistador#11 likes this.
  16. rocketchamp

rocketchamp Member

Oh yeah Kenyon Martin Jr!!! I forgot he's the missing ingredient this team needs

Says nobody

17. rocketchamp

rocketchamp Member

Agreed

18. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

You agreed with something positive about Sengun?!
    Wow

19. rocketchamp

rocketchamp Member

Senguns not anybody's franchise player, but Ime's clearly put his trust in Sengun and he's improved across the board. He's still got his areas of improvement but so does every young player. I'll give Sengun his credit

harold bingo and cryout75 like this.
  20. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

He is on his way to being a franchise type player. Whether you like it or not