1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Alperen Sengun is the Rockets' franchise player

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by AroundTheWorld, Jan 17, 2023.

1. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Time will reveal everything.

cml750 likes this.
  2. rocketchamp

rocketchamp Member

We are a top 10 defense (not because of Sengun) but it's slipped. This is obvious. Lme has made mention of this after almost every loss. Sengun's not that smart on defense because he's constantly in foul trouble or letting his man get easy layups. Metrics can't hide this

Even the Pelicans commentator says Jonas can get whatever he wants against Sengun lol. The while is dumb but Sengun fans?

#12222 rocketchamp, Feb 18, 2024
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2024
  3. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

Stop talking you have nothing to back your claims youre just talking out of your ass. "we are top ten but not because of him" OK prove it show me the stats that say our defense is better without him because last I checked and has been posted here plenty of times our best defensive rating is with sengun on the court. So stop posting nonsense and lies. Im not sure why youre trying so hard to push this false narrative but its really not gonna work.

#12223 Joe Rocket, Feb 18, 2024
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2024
  4. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

:rolleyes:

5. rocketchamp

rocketchamp Member

Anybody will be a top 10 defense with Dillon Brooks, Jabari as your starting forwards. FVV is also a pesty defender. Tari & Holiday coming off the bench & Tate is a solid defender. But take a look at Jonas destroying Sengun, he's getting everything he wants. Even the COMMENTATOR said it lol. Jonas looked like Embiid playing against Sengun

6. cml750

cml750 Member

It was one game against Jonas. They have played them 3 times. The first two Sengun destroyed Valanciunas. Admittedly, Sengun had a bad game that day you cherry picked.

After the all-star break I expect Sengun to come back rested and healed. He should go back to looking like the dominating Sengun we saw the first half of the season. He should actually be even better since the one guy who is dragging down the entire team, your boy Jalen, will likely be on the bench. I think you are going to have a miserable time the rest of the season. But please do not quit posting this ridiculous stuff that does not match reality. I can always use a good laugh.

Joe Rocket and HardenReturns like this.
  7. rocketchamp

rocketchamp Member

We're specifically talking about defense. This defensive performance is basically what we're getting from Sengun. I just posted another game vs Atlanta where he was even worse, and both these games were this month. The Pelicans color commentator eluded to it himself Sengun’s a just not good on defense.

Yeah using Jalen as a scapegoat is cowardly. Jalen played few minutes and went 2-7 last game which was a poor performance, if he was dragging the team down then why didn't Sengun step up with Jalen on the bench? Wouldn't our "best player" step up now that the so called guy dragging us down is out? Please answer. The Rockets have many problems outside of Jalen and Sengun’s atrocious defensive performances

8. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

9. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

Again our best defensive rating is with Jalen on the bench and Sengun playing with Holiday and Fred as guards not Jalen. "Why didnt Sengun step up with Jalen on the bench?". Why dont you look it up and stop spewing nonsense on this board. Jalen Green is one of the worst defenders if not the worst in the league. Im not saying that to use him as a scapegoat im saying it becuase its ****ing true. Do I wish that he was a better defender hell yes I would even settle for mid at this point instead of awful. But now you have shown your true colors with the defense of Jalen and crying about him being a scapegoat we now know the reason you are pushing false Sengun narrative is because youre one of those disgusting toxic Jalen only stans and you'll say anything to defend him including ******** on other players to do it.

10. rocketchamp

rocketchamp Member

I'm saying metrics are at times misleading and can be used to frame false narratives. If for example Sengun spends most his time on the court with Tari, who is our best defensive player statistically, he looks like he contributed to something he did not. It does not make him a good defensive player. Sengun’s in fact our worst defender. Did the Pelicans commentator need metrics to know Sengun can't play defense?

11. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

Tari hasnt played in weeks nice try but you would be referring more to Jalen in this scenario. Even when you account for who has been playing with whom when Jalen plays with our best defenders he still isnt a part of our best defensive lineups where Sengun is and we dont have another big to take Senguns place when he sits. That is why we needed Adams and since Adams is injured we are looking at Nerlens. No one is looking for someone to replace our best player in Sengun but we are looking for Jalen Green replacements and if the Nets said yes, Miles Bridges who is a great perimeter defender would be in the starting lineup in place of him. The Rockets are one of the best defensive teams in the league where we have problems is scoring and we have one of the worst shooting sg's ever in Jalen Green barely playing defense and consistently taking bad shots. You want to cure the Rockets woes start there.

HardenReturns likes this.
  12. OremLK

OremLK Member

They tend to trade blows. Look at our game logs against the pelicans the last couple years and you will see in about half of the games Alpi wrecked JV, about half it was the other way around. Jonas is one of the strongest centers in the league and Alpi needs a few more years of NBA weight training to be able to consistently beat up on guys like that, but he can already outskill them some of the time.

13. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

Exactly JV isnt some push over he's one of the best defenders in the league. Its why NO is still successful defensively even when Zion was hurt. Most nights Sengun will win but given his back injury over the past month and just the fact that sometimes you lose those battles I dont blame Sengun for that. This guy is just looking for ways to take heat off of Jalen Green by attacking Sengun.

14. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

Some observations….

1. Sengun looked far more athletic the first part of the season. You can tell that he worked hard in the off-season but I think that stamina is still a little bit of an issue for him, especially in the sense of accruing and kind of causing a little bit of a wall after the first 30 games. I largely suspect this goes away as he gets a couple more years on his belt,

2. He was also a little bit more focused early and I think this is the same thing but just a buildup of mental fatigue.

3. He has largely been a part of the solution improvement wise. I don’t think him and Jabari fit well on the defensive end right now. I am super optimistic that they can fit well as a combination as they physically mature and improve their awareness on the defensive end. This partnership should be much supplemented by the abilities of Eason and Thompson.

4. I think that the amount that Sengun has improved is slightly more tangible than the improvements that Green has made on that end. Meaning he hasn’t improved a crap ton, but it is noticeable and helpful.

5. I never think Sengun is a great defensive rebounder, and I think that that always plays a lot into overall impact and perception.

15. rocketchamp

rocketchamp Member

Yeah the piling on Jalen gets old. I literally showed you video evidence of mediocre players destroying Sengun on offense. The offense has been bad all year, the reason we have to rely on our defense. But with Tari out Sengun's not accepting his role on defense. This is the main reason we're not winning

16. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

[​IMG]
    "but eye test"
    "but some announcer said his defense isn't good"
    "metrics are mean!"

17. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

LOL You are making things up is what youre doing. Showing me a lowlights video isnt going to change someone into a bad defender. There's a bad defense video for Michael Jordan made by LeBron fans. You can make a lowlights video for anyone to try lie about the truth because its the nba and anyone can cook anyone in one possession. Good thing we have stats that tell the whole story or we'd have people like you destroying Senguns career. No one is piling on Jalen by simply telling the ****ing truth. He's not that good at basketball on both sides do I wish it was different yes I do. Im not gonna to lie about it though or attack another player because Jalen's career is in shambles. Its the nature of basketball some guys just arent good enough to be stars in the NBA. If you cant handle that pick another hobbie.

tagedieb and cmoak1982 like this.
  18. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

"Metrics are misleading when they don't confirm my anti-Sengun bias"

clos4life, cmoak1982 and Joe Rocket like this.
  19. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

20. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

When Alpe makes the All Star Game next year, it will be at Chase Center GSW.

Joe Rocket likes this.