1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Alperen Sengun is the Rockets' franchise player

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by AroundTheWorld, Jan 17, 2023.

1. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

You guys are hilarious, whining only requires a few seconds, it is not like he is learning a new trick in those seconds.

When Amen and Ausar had all their childhood to develop some sort of a shot which they did not.

It is a bad habit and it probably would take serious words from Ime and the coaching staff to let him knock it off...

2. Gergin

Gergin Member

If I remember correctly, there was also some talk about sleep issues at the start of his rookie year. It would explain why his energy levels can be inconsistent at times.

daywalker02 likes this.
  3. jcmoon

jcmoon Contributing Member

This doesn't count how many times alpi was scored upon in the paint. Many times, many. You can even see the youtube highlights and it shows the problem with having him at center. Yes, he'll get you rebounds. Some points, but not enough to offset the amount he gives up by not being able to guard or rotate quick enough.

gfab-babyboi likes this.
  4. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I believe you are right, for this game. Minny has two players who are bigger than any current Rocket. Maybe having Adams next to Alpi next season will help. Perhaps longer-term, getting someone like Kessler to play next to him defensively would be best for the Rockets and him?

robbie380 likes this.
  5. jcmoon

jcmoon Contributing Member

i dunno, i still have my doubts on sengun. But hey, he's the best we can do at this point. A lot of players look good in the regular season.

james harden looked like trash against the kawhi-less spurs in the first round, as we got punked.

A sengun-centric offense can easily be shut down. he's not unstoppable in the post.

6. Gergin

Gergin Member

Minnesota is also the only team to have twin towers like that.

But yeah being able to play Adams and Alpi at the same time could be useful in certain matchups. I don't believe we will get someone like Kessler. I think the Jazz are (rightfully) very high on him.

We could maybe get Yurtseven. He is not really a tough defensive big but he has size, and is an excellent rebounder. But that would probably cause the implosion of Clutchfans, so better not.

7. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

I disagree. Look at his FG and shooting % in the clutch. (Well, he does need to fix his free throw shooting in the clutch and overall.)

cml750 and jcmoon like this.
  8. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Just looking at the game yesterday, Alpi obviously looks a bit shorter than Gobert and Towns, but he looks similarly "sturdy". Jabari, on the other hand, looks like a tiny stick figure next to these two guys.

I still think Jabari needs to spend time at the 3, at least until he significantly bulks up. I also think Jabari's perimeter defense is much better than his paint defense.

But the guy who really killed us was Edwards. Dillon defended him well in the first half, but in the second half, he just went off and took over.

Minny is a really bad matchup, not just for Alpi, but for the Rockets overall at this point. We should adjust the team makeup to address that.

Strawberry Gum likes this.
  9. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Might be true, but if he has to cover for others' mistakes, it doesn't make things easy.

Minnesota is a bad matchup in any case. Big team. Yep, we got Steven Adams. Just wait until next year!

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  10. gfab-babyboi

gfab-babyboi Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Alpi misses bunnies, has abandon his push shot / 1 leg jumper for whatever reason recently … and really only scoring on PnR

It’s quite puzzling - outside the fact that teams are giving him more attention and packing the paint

Strawberry Gum and harold bingo like this.
  11. CantStopJG24

CantStopJG24 Member

If Sengun is going to play defense like he’s been playing then you have to start Adams at C. It’s a layup drill with Sengun as the back line. He doesn’t even jump to contest.

GotGame15 likes this.
  12. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

Rough outing for Goon tonight. Let's see how he bounces back!

13. MoochiSmoochi

MoochiSmoochi Member

Goon cannot adjust to tonight’s game pace, with Fred missing he’s gonna look worse and fast player like Jalen gonna thrive. It’s fun playing fast pace but I don’t think it’s great for learning the game. It’s basically Silas ball all over again

Dovahkiin likes this.
  14. Jorge M Gutierrez

Sengun - superstar

15. Strawberry Gum

It was a messy game for him at the defensive side. Not a terrible overall performance whatsoever, solid actually, but I know that he could've been better. He should bring back the flamingo, his offense needs more spice.

GotGame15 likes this.
  16. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

I am on a plane and couldn't watch the game, but how is a guy that produced 20/10/6 and had a +8 +/- supposedly the reason we lost?

Ankara1923 likes this.
  17. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

His gf just needs to take him back home tonight and pound the ever loving god out of him. He will be good for the next game after that.

Strawberry Gum likes this.
  18. Strawberry Gum

I've not seen anyone saying that, but if they do they are delusional. Starters were great. The bench gave the game away.

Ankara1923 likes this.
  19. IvanLCPM

IvanLCPM Member

He’s not the reason we lost, but i thought he played soft on defense and didn’t have any lift.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  20. invocux

invocux Member

I think his defense went from 3/10 to 5/10. His one on one defense is probably 6/10. He took a massive leap but there are works to be done in this summer. He is a good offensive rebounder because he wants to score. To score he needs to touch the ball so he extra hustles to grab the offensive rebounds. He's a below average defensive rebounder for a center because he's not defense first guy and he needs to change his mentality. Defensive rebounds are just as important. He learned to box out but you can't box out when the paint is crowded so you need to go for it. He doesn't have verticality so he can't elevate much without taking couple steps first. He can't just jump straight up and grab it unfortunately. I don't know how they do it normally but they need to work on that. He needs to get better at ft line. He was shooting over 80% in Turkey so he has that in him. He can be a 80% shooter. If he can be a 80% ft shooter he can be a 35% 3pt shooter. I want him to grab 1 or 2 more defensive rebounds a game and improve at ft line and 3pt line next season.

AroundTheWorld likes this.