1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Alperen Sengun is the Rockets' franchise player

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by AroundTheWorld, Jan 17, 2023.

1. Ankara1923

Ankara1923 Member

Do you think I wrote that post because of Alperen Sengun? i have never liked franchise guy mentality, give me Sam Cassell, Z.Tabak, Petrushka and enough effort, i will be happy.

I guess I support Rockets much earlier than your parents met. I am not writing here to show my basketball knowledge, just declaring team sprit and challenge.

I do not like to use f word but it is better you to understand first and write something after that. It is very easy or me to tell you stfu also.

Behave. First be a man, try to understand the subject and reply later on. There is enough i... in the world and I do not need anymore around.

Old School74 and HardenReturns like this.
  2. Strawberry Gum

The thing is, sir... your criticisms about Udoka not being competitive don't make sense.

Why would Fred play this many minutes a game if Ime did not care about winning?

Tonight, point gap was nearly 30 at one point and Celtics were shooting lights out. This is a 82 game season and the main guys need all the rest they can have. Lots of coaches are doing this. It is not something only Udoka does.

3. OremLK

OremLK Member

It was a scheduled loss. Popovich was an early pioneer of load managent. I think Ime is fully versed in the concept of cutting your losses in an unwinnable game, and was probably already prepared for this one to go poorly. If it were me, I might not have even played the starters at all, but of course that would probably run afoul of the league.

4. maypk

maypk Member

@Os Trigonum Sir, your service is needed

Jontro likes this.
  5. PeppermintCandy

Yeah, this is no longer the early part of the season, when the Rockets often had 4 or 5 days between games. They have to find ways to give the players little breaks when they can.

The beat-down in Boston obviously sucks, but hopefully the starters will have a little more energy heading into Philadelphia on Monday.

And if it leads to a win vs. the Sixers, I'm sure Udoka (and Sengun) will be perfectly fine with the decision.

Strawberry Gum likes this.
  6. Buck Turgidson

I like him, I like his game.

But it's weird to me that since he's a good enough shooter, he will go 3-8 from the line one game, then go 5-5 the next. That's mental stuff.

tagedieb, Jontro and cml750 like this.
  7. Ankara1923

Ankara1923 Member

Thanks for the polite reply.
    I guess I am little bit more competitive than average Joe and also wanted Udoka to show Boston they missed something. Emotional night, probably.

After a very long and good sleep, I can take it more professionally.

Hope we do better nights. Greetings.

slothy420, cml750 and Strawberry Gum like this.
  8. plegus

plegus Member

I’ve always put whatever stock I have available to Sam’s takes for years now and it brings me so much joy to hear from him how our boy Alpi is a stud. They are drowning Alpi, Tari, Bari and Ime in flowers. Also this is a VERY comprehensive Rox update from Game Theory Pod. Have a look:

#10968 plegus, Jan 14, 2024
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2024
  9. Sobakawa

Sobakawa New Member

Why Alperen Sengun will come off the bench article stayed for months even after it became irrelevant.

No solid support for Alpe' s All Star run.

Even the minor negative things Ime mentioned during press conferences were highlighted by him.

As a Turk its hard for me to be objective, i admit that. But Sengun was underused, underutilised, underinvested and mistreated in his first 2 years. Silas and head honcho era was terrible. But he managed to overcome this and becomes a borderline all star. He improved almost all aspects of his game while we see little to no improvement from others. (except for tari). It is basicly hard to understand why he is not supported more.

slothy420, RudyTBag and HardenReturns like this.
  10. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

He is supported throughout the NBA by coaches and other players.....that should be more important.

11. Old School74

Old School74 Member
    Supporting Member

I am not defending @AroundTheWorld or @Clutch but during the live stream of Boston game I felt like Clutch's view of Sengun is mostly about his basketball philosophy. That is okay. Everyone is entitled to their opinion.

I honestly think that Alpi needs to get stronger both physically and mentally. He needs to play hard throughout the games all season. He needs to speed up and be more agile. Are those impossible expectations? NO! Alpi himself raised the standards for himself by playing harder and I believe he can get stronger and faster and jump higher by working even harder. Do I think it is gonna happen right away this season? NO! Everything is up to Alpi, though...where he wants to go, what he wants to do, what type of a player he will be. Neither Clutch nor ATW or me has any influence on that. If Alpi will be successful, everyone will come around to support him. If he doesn't even the majority of Turks on this forum will stop doing so...and that's the brutal reality my friends!

plegus likes this.
  12. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Alpe can and will be better, this team is worse without him.

13. tagedieb

tagedieb Member

Sengun is definitely improving. His conditioning, his physique, his speed.. They look very different from when he joined the League. Of course NBA is famous for this kind of transition, and Sengun came to the league at the ripe age of 19, ready to be "molded"..

He looked kinda puffy his first year and second year. Right now he looks leaner but more defined, probably gained significant muscle, while losing fat. Skill-wise he is years ahead of the "bigs" his age. If he keeps on improving like this, he will be a perennial star, probably averaging double-double and 6-7 assists for years to come. That is easily a top 3 center in the League.

As for Udoka's approach... People here have been discussing how Yao was molded to be more stocky and how that eventually may have caused his injuries and early retirement. The worst thing a coach can do is to rush a talent to save his own @ss. Silas could have done this last year if he knew what he had in Sengun. Thank god Silas was not that "insightful". Look at the players Silas rode last year and where they are now..

I think Udoka has been very good for Sengun and other young players. Udoka's goal is not to pad Sengun's stats to make him an all-star at 21. Why should he play Sengun in blow-out wins or losses? Does not make any sense.. If I were a young and talented player, I would have appreciated if the coach took me out in such scenarios. It would mean he wants to protect me, mentally and physically..

So far my impression is that Udoka is a very good fit for the Rockets, He seems to have both the ability and the mandate to take his time developing talent.. He has a clean slate in the organization, has credibility within the League (his firing from Boston had nothing to do with his coaching abilities). That is sort of the coaching situation as an organization when you have talent to be developed.

Sengun will be great, no doubt, and hopefully other young players will also join him.

14. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I am just saying, Jeff Van Gundy never got a new coaching job after coaching Yao....

HardenReturns likes this.
  15. clos4life

clos4life Member

Time stamp?

16. AmenTheSuperstar

It will be fascinating to watch the synergy between Amen and Sengun develop on the court in the coming seasons.

Old School74 likes this.
  17. plegus

plegus Member

Bruh how lazy can it get, they have all chapters in description :D
    Or I can do you one better, did not want to spam almost the same initially but there you go:

clos4life and HardenReturns like this.
  18. tagedieb

tagedieb Member

He coached the US national team in between coach K to Pop transition but that was very brief. No coaching job in the NBA as you said.

daywalker02 likes this.
  19. clos4life

clos4life Member

Thank you. For some reason the chapters description did not show up on the full podcast vid for me (adblocker perhaps?). I appreciate the time you took to link the Rockets only section.

plegus likes this.
  20. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member