1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Alperen Sengun is the Rockets' franchise player

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by AroundTheWorld, Jan 17, 2023.

1. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

There's being a post god, and there's being Jokic. Those 2 things are very different. I think it's very very unlikely we see a shooter better then curry, and that's where Jokic's post game is. GOAT level

2. maj21

maj21 Member

That means Jalen is the next kobe, Jabari the next KD, KPJ the next harden, Tari the next Kawhi, and the rockets will surpass the Celtics in titles. LFG!

3. AlperenSengun

AlperenSengun Member

You might not see this, but I am watching basketball for about 30 years and Turkish is my native language. I don't recall a player this focused, not at this age for sure, probably one of the best among all I have seen. And there are many supporting events. He was not even projected to be one of the best of his class at age 16, but he won the mvp of turkish league two years later, despite not being the athletic type or particularly physically developed for his age. This is an extreme indication of focus, drive and determination. Another more minor tell is him trying 3's to pull his 3pt % from low 20s to 33% at the end of the season despite Silas telling him not to take 3s. I observe stuff and form my opinion, garbage is calling others opinions garbage with no basis.

The % you mention for 3pt are not that relevant for several reasons.

- Sengun came into the league with no previous 3pt shooting. His shooting form looks okay, and he is working on it. He was 25% season 1, and 33% season 2, 44% in 2023
    https://www.nba.com/stats/players/t...DateFrom=01/01/2023&SeasonType=Regular Season

He is improving steadily. Sample size is very limited so time will tell. But there is reason to be optimistic that he can go above Jokic
    - You are mentioning Jokic's career numbers. Jokic at age 20 shot the same as age 20 Sengun. By your logic, young Jokic cannot develop into old Jokic.

- You are correct that his free throw % is a negative indicator for future progress.

- Jokic has been exceptional in the playoff with 3pt shooting. Very unlikely Sengun wll be better there. Here Jokic is an anomaly shooting consistently better in the playoffs.

- Finally, I don't think he will be a better 3 point shooter than Jokic. I think he has a chance to be better. These are wildly different.

How many players have you seen as good as Sengun in the post at age 19? Even when he came into the league without proper nba strength he was cooking.

Jokic post up points per play is 1.22 and 1.17 last two years. Before that he was hanging around 1.00 for 6 seasons. He actually improved his decision making massively in the last two years, increasing his efficiency in all parts of the game, including post play, leading to the eventual ring. Again, by your reasoning young Jokic cannot become the Jokic he is today.

I am seeing a very skilled post-up player in Sengun. He certainly has a decent chance to be at the same level or pass him. And even if he doesn't he projects to be one of the best in the game by all means.

4. MystikArkitect

Craig Ackerman said Sengun was the best player on the Rockets last year on Rockets Fuel Podcast. Followed by KPj followed by Tari.

He watched more Rockets than anyone so take that for what it's worth.

5. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

Correct, this is my exact point. I would never expect ANYONE to become a GOAT level player unless it's someone who's a true generational prospect (shaq, lebron). Is there a chance that Jalen green becomes a jordan level player? The metrics and everything says no, but is it 0? Also no. Same with Sengun and Jokic. All metrics and logic say no, but is it 0? Also no. There's probably something like a 1 in 10000 chance he's better then Jokic (I don't think it's actually that high though)

Ultimately, you can put down Jokic and trash him all you want, it doesn't change reality.

6. AlperenSengun

AlperenSengun Member

You did not ask whether Sengun will be a goat level player, you asked if Sengun can surpass jokic at some parts of the game, and I gave you where he has a somewhat realistic non-zero chance. I didn't say he will become goat level player, nor I do expect it.

And I didn't thrash or put down Jokic, who happens to be my favorite player of all time. How come you interpret what i said as putting down Jokic, I have no idea. Don't you think it is only natural to like Jokic, if you like Sengun's game?

On a side note, there is also a chance Sengun will be a better defender than jokic.

7. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

If he surpasses jokic he will be a top 3-5 all time player at worst, with a very real shot at 1 or 2

HardenReturns and maj21 like this.
  8. maj21

maj21 Member

And Ryan Hollins said KPJ was, soooo…

9. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

I still think that if we are talking about expected projections that Sengun is more similar to Pau Gasol than Jokic.

10. AlperenSengun

AlperenSengun Member

It is obvious that passing Jokic overall as a player is extremely unlikely, for any player regardless of how promising they are at age 20. I am talking about certain aspects of the game. And talking about having a chance. So in the end we should be extremely happy if he surpasses Jokic in one or two areas, and not be surprised at all if doesn't at any area.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  11. NewAge

NewAge Member

he has some of both Pau and Jokic in his game. Hairstyle: all Pau

maypk and AroundTheWorld like this.
  12. NewAge

NewAge Member

So what? They were clearly #1 and #2, and all the advanced metrics confirms that. Pretty normal that one one of the TV guys picked one and the other picked the other…

harold bingo and clos4life like this.
  13. rocketchamp

rocketchamp Member

Wait huh? You've somehow passed up Hakeem, Kareem etc...If Sengun somehow passes Jokic, in which he'll never, he still has a list of bigmen he'll have to surpass. This will never happen, but for the sake of argument

14. Ankara1923

Ankara1923 Member

He might catch up (may be 30 %) and might surpass (around 10 %) Still negative territory but might be, probable.

Why people so sad that he might catch up/surpass. That is the question.

AlperenSengun likes this.
  15. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

There is a maximum number of games one can watch. It's 82. There are people who did that.

clos4life likes this.
  16. Ankara1923

Ankara1923 Member

Can be better than Jokic& Jordan. Can not be better than Hakeem&Oscar Schmidt.

Best athlete in human history? No way. Maradona and Zidane are there, Hicham El-Guerrouj is there, Aleksi Karelin is there.

He can't be best athlete but might be 3rd best basketball player behind Hakeem and Oscar.

17. Ankara1923

Ankara1923 Member

I had a chance to watch both of them in their early careers. Pau was playing at 3 and we were expecting him to become a new Gregor F u c k a if not opt for becoming a medical doctor.

Alp comes from rural part of Turkey, not as lucky as Catalan Pau but certainly more determined, more skilled player. Pau's standard IQ level likely higher than Alp but Alp's BBIQ is higher than both Gasols.

Pau's NBA averages are 17/9.2/3.2 PER 33.4 which is not better than Alp's second year statistics.

18 years old Alp was better than 18 years old Pau and 30 years old Alp will be much better than 30 years old Pau. 30 years old prime Pau's numbers were: 18.8/10.2/3.3 which will be huge disappointment if Alp only does that numbers.

Respect to Gasols but Alp is much better player.

harold bingo and HardenReturns like this.
  18. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

You like Alpi a lot. Who helps Alpi more to get easy buckets that helps with his efficiency?

Green or Tari?

19. maj21

maj21 Member

Crazy to say that when those guys are champions and your boy has won 42-122 in his career lol

20. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

That is useful, but I think being even a league average 3 level scorer(able to hit shots in the post, mid range, and 3pt line competently) is far more valuable to the team than being a really good post player. The reality is - unless you have Giannis type efficiency in the paint, an average 3pt shooter is going to be more valuable than an above average paint player so Sengun would have to be close to all time to be able to be a post maestro without being a 3 level scorer -THAT is the skill he has to work on…for our sake, I hope he comes into next year with some improvements in those areas.

fchowd0311 likes this.