1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Alperen is our best player.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Francis3422, Dec 10, 2021.

1. DeBeards

DeBeards Member

[​IMG]

hakeem94 likes this.
  2. BHannes2BHonest

BHannes2BHonest 2 SOLID FOR WEIRD AZZES

My rationale tells me with KPJ out and only 1 actual PG on the roster —- Sengun needs to play more and be a facilitator while he’s out there.
    He clearly has the bball IQ to have the offense ran through him as a 19 year old.
    Wtf are we doing playing him 16 minutes while he goes of for 15/5 and a +11…

Sengun is must see TV on top of that.

crose, AroundTheWorld, ilias and 2 others like this.
  3. jcmoon

jcmoon Contributing Member

yea well, they can only do that in certain matchups, if sengun doesnt have a mismatch in the post, its not worth it yet, as sengun probably isnt a good enough three point shooter yet. What difference does it make? Wood is a nice complemtary player that wants to be paid like a star. If this doesnt change we should ship him off. Or i guess he can just reject our initial offer and we can gamble that the numbers in restricted free agency is something wed be willing to match. I dont think anyones going to give him what he wants. Hes like dennis schroeder, overvaluing himself

aaquaa likes this.
  4. RocketsFan247

RocketsFan247 Member

What's crazy is that this is what he looks like when he's serious / excited before the game.

5. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

[​IMG]

6. aaquaa

aaquaa Member

[​IMG]
    There was a time in the '90s when the Turkish and Greek foreign secretaries were actually friends. :)

NewAge likes this.
  7. DeBeards

DeBeards Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

lol, sengun and jaygup looks so adorable in the first pic

8. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

[​IMG]

9. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

[​IMG]

10. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

I have had my issues with Silas and his staff, but the one thing they have always been excellent at is developing the young guys. Look at Brooks, KYD, KJM, Christopher, Porter, Matthews,etc. They are developing Sengun perfectly and not just giving him the keys to the palace right off the bat. He’ll be a started for years to come, but they are not overloading him right off the bat and that is exactly how it’s best done and he can learn the NBA system with less pressure and hone his skills against some non-starters. Same philosophy would have paid dividends for Jaylen Green as these kids need to work hard and earn/be rewarded the starting spot as part of their development (like Matthews).

hakeem94 likes this.
  11. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

lol politicians always get together just fine...all their pretending otherwise is mostly to keep their own people in check lololol

verse and aaquaa like this.
  12. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

hahah nice try but getoutah here! if we didnt set his ass on fire we would be 1-24 right now

minny and pels staff is also best at developing all stars and going nowhere with them...he didnt developed nothing out of sengun mathews it was all there in highlights ...probably not even with other guys ( wont go into details now) he was just holding them back...still holding sengun back and dening him roy honors perhaps even mvp contention and a huge boost to rockets franchise and opportunity to attract FAs

AroundTheWorld, juanming and aaquaa like this.
  13. lockedin34

lockedin34 Member

I think this season we should ease him into it man. Don’t throw him into the fire yet. He’s probably not physically ready to play 30+ mpg. He should 100% play more and play with Wood sometimes. But 23 minutes or so is enough i think, I like easing young guys in that have this much potential

aaquaa likes this.
  14. DeBeards

DeBeards Member

[​IMG]

15. yixiixiy

yixiixiy Member

He will be the cover of 2k26. Book it.

AroundTheWorld and aaquaa like this.
  16. ilias

ilias Member

Sengun is clearly a key part of our future team. Wood’s future though is less clear, especially with his contract expiring next year and the risk of losing him for nothing or overpaying him. We really need to see more of Wood and Sengun play together. This will help determine if/how they fit together, and thus whether Wood should be in our long-term plans or whether he should be traded in this trade deadline when his value will be at its highest. Ideally, I’d like to see them play together for at least 10 mins per game in non-Tate lineups with 3 shooters (EG, GM, AB) around the two bigs.

I’m really enthusiastic about Alpi. In the post he combines Valanciunas’ strength and physicality with Scola’s footwork and moves. In the perimeter, he reminds me of Marc Gasol’s high post playmaking. All that, while also being a plus on the defensive side at age 19. Above all is his motor, energy, and fearlessness. His advanced metrics are the best of this rookie class. His per 36 numbers (18p, 9r, 5a, 3 stocks) at a relative low usage (22%) make me salivate at the thought of his potential. A 20% increase in usage to 26-27% would see him post all-NBA numbers. Combining higher usage with a modest improvement in skill or athletic ability would take his per-36 productivity to MVP-type level. I see his floor as Domantas Sabonis with better defence and his upside as a 90% Jokic on the offensive side with better defence.

17. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

The reason is because Silas can't figure out how to play Wood and Sengun together. The reason we started this win streak is because Silas abandoned playing two bigs at the same time. Silas now has decided that he should never play two bigs at the same time. And with the way he has these guys playing, he's right, it is an unplayable lineup. Every time they share the court it's a disaster.

Most on this board would agree that Wood/Sengun should be able to work, myself included. But right now, Silas can't figure it out, so it doesn't. You can go look at the net rating when they share the court, or you can look back at the games when they're both in there, it's a really really bad lineup. Every time they're in together our leads vanish, and our deficits grow. And that's why Sengun doesn't play more. Silas chooses Wood as the starter over Sengun, and sadly that means Sengun can only play when Wood isn't in the game. There's only 48 minutes at center, so if Wood plays 35, Sengun plays 13. If Wood plays 30, Sengun plays 18.

daywalker02, aaquaa and DeBeards like this.
  18. AlperenSengun

AlperenSengun Member

Let me gladly take this opportunity to refute some arguments:

1- He does not get minutes because he fouls a lot. CORRECT FORM: He does not get minutes AND he fouls a lot. His foul rate is a problem, but not the reason why he does not get more minutes. He did not foul out or became a liability because of foul trouble in any game as far as I remember. And at the rate Wood is fouling, he won't have foul trouble anyway. So if Sengun fouls out, it won't harm the team at all. We have Theis as well, in the worst case.

2- His stamina is not good enough to play more. Well, this might be an argument for not playing him 30 minutes. But he averages 17.7 minutes per game. 25% increase in his minutes, gives him 22-23 minutes per game. I am sure he can handle it. On top of that, if his stamina is a problem, I would still give him more meaningful, continuous minutes for some games and rest him occasionally he can't handle it.

3- He has to earn his minutes. NO! He has to be given the minutes he earned. You get the respect by your play, not by your age etc. He is the smartest, most energetic on the court. He has many skills that you would be happy for a 16th pick to develop after a couple years. And you can see that he is developing in the minutes he is playing. His production is fantastic and he does not just fill the stat page, he has actual effect on the court you can easily see. He even gives a lot of energy to the crowd. So he has earned up to 25 minutes in my opinion if not more.

Richie_Rich, Moe, mirdirir and 9 others like this.
  19. omgTHEpotential

This would be the best strategy.

AroundTheWorld and aaquaa like this.
  20. omgTHEpotential

DPOY Sengun here we come!

[​IMG]

AleksandarN, slothy420 and aaquaa like this.