1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Alperen is our best player.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Francis3422, Dec 10, 2021.

1. Ankara1923

Ankara1923 Member

He was tipping the possible rebs for quicker attack, still does occasionally but as one of the most agile player of NBA and an experienced professional he will get more and more offensive rebs year by year.

Unfortunately he is becoming kind of selfish NCAA product but this selfishness will be seen as increasing numbers in his stats.

As Jabari+Tari will cooperate him, defense and rebounding will be lesser issue. His problem is not assisting as much.

#5181 Ankara1923, Nov 29, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2022
    aaquaa and hakeem94 like this.
  2. conquistador#11

I'd take those numbers in a heartbeat but to think that it took Hedo 8 Nba seasons to establish those numbers. Sengun will be 21 by the time he reaches them. That's pretty damn good.

3. Ankara1923

Ankara1923 Member

Hedo was eating meatballs in Atrium's "Burger Days" together with Kerem Tunceri in Alpi's current age.Alpi is still more than a year younger than Hedo's first NBA appearance age.

4. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Minor nitpick/pet peeve of mine, but I hate when people say that players "don't play defense" when they really mean that player is a poor defender. Saying that someone DOESN'T play defense implies they aren't trying and they aren't giving effort. James Harden didn't play defense. Jokic plays defense. Sengun plays defense. You can say that Sengun is a poor defender, or say he's not a rim protector, but don't say that he "doesn't" play defense. He's definitely out there trying to defend, he is playing defense, just not very well.

5. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

I think his defensive play will get better as he grows anyway, his basketball IQ is clearly off the charts. He's never going to have the defensive potential of Jabari or Eason, but they also don't have his potential in other areas. As long as he carries on hustling with heart (guaranteed, that's not a problem, arguably the most competitive personality on the roster and that was clear last season too) and learns to work within a good team defense his vision and creativity will more than make up for it at both ends, even if he'll always have a couple of bad matchups (which is what 3rd string centers in totally different moulds than your 1 and 2 guys are for.) You can't teach the IQ side of it, he's never going to be a heliocentric player like a Harden or Luka, but anybody who can't see that the trait he does share with them is how he sees the game at a slower pace than everybody else on the offensive end needs to watch closer. He never looks unsure of his move, he's so confident in making the decision in the moment and that's actually what makes him a rarity even more than the throwback post play. People keep going on about how that's a bad thing, but someone very smart once said something along the lines of "when the whole league zigs, you want to be the one who zags." We did it before and revolutionised the league because we were ahead of the curve, nobody knows wtf to do with a guy who can dream shake in the post any more, and it's very clear in season 2 that by season 5 he's going to eat people alive down low. I don't actually see him being the top ballhandler running the offense in all honesty, he's like Jokic, but he aint Jokic. But him and Green and whoever else, whether KPJ or "TBD" has insane potential. Green's already on his way to stardom and he's played US style basketball forever. Once Sengun figures out how to use those oldschool skills fully within the NBA style, he's a serious problem, so we're good.

aaquaa, AlperenSengun and cmoak1982 like this.
  6. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

7. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Jokic has been a plus defender for four years now. What makes you claim he's not?

Ankara1923, Deckard, hakeem94 and 2 others like this.
  8. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

A 25-year-old Alperen Sengun will put Bam Adebayo in the basket in a playoff series. :D

Remember those coordinated hit pieces attempting to explain why Kelvin Cato, ahem Bruno Fernando was going to start? Jesus Christ...

#5188 RudyTBag, Nov 30, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2022
    Ankara1923, ilias, hakeem94 and 4 others like this.
  9. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

One thing which I haven't really seen mentioned among the wave of 'not athletic' screeching, is just how good Sengun's second jump is.

Helps him a lot on the offensive boards.

cml750, hakeem94, fchowd0311 and 4 others like this.
  10. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

11. AlperenSengun

AlperenSengun Member

The usual ‘he is unathletic and slow crap’

Ankara1923, hakeem94 and aaquaa like this.
  12. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I feel like his vert is generally just underrated. He's done some dunks in traffic that made me question any claims of his lack of athleticism.

cml750, hakeem94 and cmoak1982 like this.
  13. AlperenSengun

AlperenSengun Member

i did not quite think about it but at times he makes jumps that look very athletic and other times he looks like he hardly gets off the floor. Probably his jump when he has an extra step is much better.

14. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

His jump off the move is pretty solid. From a stand still he has to work on explosion. But, he has a quick second jump

15. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

A3624E0F-9792-4938-9EFE-929DD6FAA557.jpeg This is on a block moving forward in the jump. Which usually takes a couple inches off max vert. It’s not bad at all

16. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I don’t know the best word to describe it but his jumping ability seems good when he has time to “load up”, like if he winds up then he gets his head up to the rim. But his little casual hops under the basket aren’t as great. That’s why he has to lay the ball up so often instead of just dunk it. Like obviously he’s not montrezl harrel or Giannis, but it doesn’t seem like he has the ability to just bounce up and dunk it when he’s right under the rim in traffic.

Ankara1923 and cmoak1982 like this.
  17. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

No one mentions the fundamentals. Him and garuba have great spatial awareness to alway box out the opposing player. There's a reason why we are a great rebounding team, it bc of those who know how to box out.

aaquaa and cmoak1982 like this.
  18. i3artow i3aller

19. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

The answer is simple. You play the lineup with the best differential, KPJ, Green, KJ, Tari and Alp

20. O-dawg

O-dawg Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

So I understand why we are not starting Tari over Jabari, politics of being the player that the team used the #3 draft pick on. By I just scratch my head every time we start EG over KMJ or Tari for that matter.