1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Alperen is our best player.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Francis3422, Dec 10, 2021.

1. O-dawg

O-dawg Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Silas appears (and I say appears because I don't know for sure) to feel that Garuba is better defensively than Alpi. So he has subbed him at the end of games when defense was needed. I don't see that as mistreatment, I see that as a coaches perception which whether you agree with him or not, Garuba being better defensively can be argued.

I don't see the different standard, but at the end of the day none of us have as much access to these players as the coaches and their staff. I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt regarding this instead of thinking there is some grand conspiracy designed to hold Alpi back.

2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

We may end up trading Sengun - as clearly the org wants players that fit in with Green and KPJ's outside in offense.

DD

aaquaa, Ren ason and harold bingo like this.
  3. O-dawg

O-dawg Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You may end up being right, but I think it would be a mistake. Alpi's so skilled in the post. You will need the points that only he can get you on nights when the outside in game is not working or if we face a team that likes to slow the pace down and it becomes who can execute in half court sets.

Alpi has a place on this team. IMHO it is waaaaay too soon to even consider trading him.

4. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

It is also his rythmn it is just off or different than most of the other players and it works for him but others struggle with it, Ginobli had something similar......it is weird.

DD

aaquaa, O-dawg and coachbadlee like this.
  5. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

There's somebody on here named "booby"?

aaquaa and Ankara1923 like this.
  6. AlperenSengun

AlperenSengun Member

Not just Garuba, Bruno too or basically anyone. He appears to think that Sengun is very bad on d, which is really not supported by any metric. At the same time, Silas does not seem to care about turnovers, the terrible mistakes on switches, transition defense, the guards leaving their man open for a 3 to commit an unnecessary help-defense. Silas appears to be only bothered only by Sengun's defense. Quite often EG or KPJ literally just stops playing defense for no apparent reason but nothing happens.

Why are there only two choices: a conspiracy, or Silas knows what he is doing. The simple explanation is Silas, among other things, is terrible at evaluating and using bigs. Wood, Theis, Sengun, Garuba, Bruno. Which of these has been correctly utilized? Garuba looks good now, but who knows where he would be if the Euros were not this summer and Bruno was not injured.

Silas has no idea about using bigs. He has his 5-out offense, where the big plays a certain role, and that's the only thing he can do with a big.

7. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

I like Alpern. I think he could be a very good player, I just feel like he disrupts the flow because he needs the ball in his hands in the paint to succeed. There is a reason why most teams in the NBA have gone away from the post up game. If Alpern could improve his 3pt shooting it would also be a diff story. As of right now, I think Alpern does get traded for the best of both sides.

DaDakota, Ankara1923 and maj21 like this.
  8. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I don't think the post game is dead but I agree he needs to work on his long range shots.

My gripe is you don't trade an asset when his value is ascending, you trade him after he reached his pinnacle and it drops.

Or at least when his value is at its highest or very high.

clutchdabear likes this.
  9. Ankara1923

Ankara1923 Member

You are right.
    I guess Hawks is the best destination for Alpi. They played "centerless" and were outrebounded 59-28 last night. Capela was not there, Bogdan was not there and they could not produce anything except guards play.

Swap Capela with Sengun (might be some additional players), bring back Bogdan from injury, Hawks will be a contender and Rockets will be 0.400 team. Good for both side.

Trae-Murray-Bogdan-Collins-Sengun will be a wonderful quintet when Capela will be low profile but effective center for KPJ-JGreen backcourt. The Rockets won't be anything real but won't be this bad.

Hope happens soon.

hakeem94 and aaquaa like this.
  10. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

your feeling deceives you.. you can give alpi ball wherever in the halfcourt and hell be efficient, effective and get other players into flow...
    he can be a lead guard like luka lebron and yanis...

aaquaa likes this.
  11. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

@AroundTheWorld

didnt i call this ish? as soon as someones is prefacing their post with i like sengun you know some ignorant dumb **** is coming

12. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Sorry, which "flow"?

The "flow" of the worst team in the league, with the most inefficient guard play of all teams?

Even if one were to agree with your premise (which I don't), why would that be worth being protected from "disruption"?

It's not like we have beautiful and efficient and successful ball movement and he acts as a ball stopper. In fact, very much the opposite is true.

aaquaa and hakeem94 like this.
  13. AlperenSengun

AlperenSengun Member

I mean, come on, you look at the court and think that Alperen disturbs the flow. There is almost no flow and the reason is KPJ.

Alperen is mostly the player who creates a flow. Yes, he needs the ball in his hands to score in the paint, but literally every player who is going to score needs the ball in their hands. Sengun's is nothing more than that. When he is not posting up, he definitely creates a good flow. When he posts up, he is very easy to give it back, if he is doubled. The only thing I would agree that he should be executing his moves more quickly, but I think that will come with time.

14. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

You love putting down our guards to prop up Sengun huh. You do know he averages more turnovers than assists. I'm sure that can disrupt flow.

Anyways I feel dirty even saying something like that about Sengun.

I think there is a reasonable discussion here in that before Sengun develops a consistent outside shot, he might limit offensive spacing. That's probably his one weakness on offense now that I think he most likely will improve on.

I think this team needs to move onf from Bruno and have Sengun and Usman as the full time center rotation.

15. AlperenSengun

AlperenSengun Member

Agree with most of it. He should be taking more shots, but again that does not seem to be part of Silas's plan. Again he'd rather have KPJ miss the shots than sengun because he certainly prioritizes developing KPJ over sengun.

For the assists, I think it is not fair to hit Sengun with that, because Silas literally killed his assist potential. Sengun was having assists and assist highlights even when he came into the league and gradually declined and now it is next to zero. He still have the potential and he can do it, but he is almost never in a position to make them.

16. DreamR

DreamR Member

Alpi gonna have to fight to get the ball from Trae and Murray. Those guys love to dribble, dribble, and dribble some more and then shoot

tycoonchip and AlperenSengun like this.
  17. Ankara1923

Ankara1923 Member

So, what is the difference? Does he gets lots of ball from KPJ+JGreen. He finished the last game with 3 shots.
    Trae is more clever than KPJ and he will certainly share the ball more than our fake PG.

18. fchowd0311

If Sengun gets traded, how often are you going to visit this site after?

DreamR, maj21, DaDakota and 1 other person like this.
  19. Ankara1923

Ankara1923 Member

I support Rockets since 70s.
    I am in a sabbatical break and have more time nowadays. I don't think I will visit this site as much next year whether Sengun plays for Rockets or not.

By the way how old are you?

20. fchowd0311

Why do you care about how another team will operate with one of our best young players traded to them? And why do you find joy in it?

DreamR likes this.