1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Alperen is our best player.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Francis3422, Dec 10, 2021.

1. HP3

HP3 Member

Im a big fan of his, dont get me wrong, and I really like him. I also think hell be our top player soonish. But I am tired of people .....being like cult like with him. Like you have to give it some time with him.

aaquaa, joshuaao, RoadWarrior and 3 others like this.
  2. AlperenSengun

AlperenSengun Member

The cult like fanbase also creates its very anti-cult responses, which I think is more cult-like :) For me, one thing is clear. He should get consistent 20-25 minutes, and the arguments against it based on stamina and fouling too much are ridiculous.

As for the best player, he is certainly not the best but it is still worth a discussion. There are different tiers of player. EG is in the top tier, he impacts the game immensely, and more consistently than any other player. The other player that is supposed to do this is Wood. But he can't. He does not have the decision making, IQ, hustle on defense, passing. He contributes with scoring but not much else. I rate him one tier below EG. And the rest of the crowd is more or less in one tier. Sengun, though I would not call him better than KJM, Tate or Mathews, his understanding of the game is more than these players both on offense and defense despite his age. He offers things that make the whole offense better. I would rather have Sengun than Wood at the end of games.

A little bit on his defense: He leads the team (some of them behind Garuba, who has a very small sample size and should definitely get more minutes) in per36 stats in steals, blocks, offensive rebounds, deflections, charges drawn, offensive loose balls recovered. That's phenomenal! He also gets in the lanes a lot which does not reflect in stats. Yeah, his defense is bad and needs to improve! This is happening because he is not athletic and quick in the usual sense and since this is the first thing people look at, the foul he commited due to his quickness sticks in the mind to dismiss his huge contributions. Of course he should work in those areas and has a lot of room for improvement. But his overall defensive contribution is very good. He is just held to different standards because of his body type.

Reminder about per36: it does not mean he can produce the same way in 36 minutes. It means in the time he is on the court, he is outperforming the other players in these stats. He cannot do anything about the time he is not on the court.

jcmoon, HP3, cmoak1982 and 2 others like this.
  3. AlperenSengun

AlperenSengun Member

Forgot about kpj. Same tier with Wood.

4. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

This reminds me of Jeremy Lin

harold bingo and RoadWarrior like this.
  5. the11mingdynasty

the11mingdynasty Contributing Member

Nah, there’s hope here.

dawesome likes this.
  6. RoadWarrior

RoadWarrior Member

I like Sengun but this is getting ridiculous.
    He’s not the best player.

jcmoon likes this.
  7. rimbaud

rimbaud Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah - who knows if that Aaron Gordon guy will ever make it to the NBA. Probably never even average double figure scoring…

harold bingo likes this.
  8. aaquaa

aaquaa Member

Right now, Al-P can't convert a jump shot to save his life. He has somehow regressed by a lot, and now looks timid even taking a 12-footer.
    If he works on his midrange and 3-pt shots, there's no reason why he can't be the undisputedly best player we have.
    (Please don't mention his defense. Nobody's laundry is clean in that neighborhood.)

GotGame15 and cdxiong like this.
  9. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

he was never our best player. He does fancy stuff and people jump to quick assumptions because of it

jcmoon likes this.
  10. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Not quite best player…..yet. Upside is there.
    He’s far and away the best rookie though. Top 3-4 on the team

dawesome, GotGame15 and aaquaa like this.
  11. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

best rookie doesn't matter. No point judging them against each other, they all bring different things to the table and they are on the same team

jcmoon likes this.
  12. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Then I guess there’s no point judging best player on the team either then. They’re all on the same team, no point judging them against each other, they all bring different things to the table. Right?

13. HP3

HP3 Member

What "anti cult like responses" Like "hey maybe there is a reason he's not playing as much, lay off the coach" lol? I criticized the dude and one crazy guy told me I had a "hateful heart" lmao. Why? He does foul too much and his stamina isnt good enough yet?

It certain match ups, yea, in others, no. Wood is still better than him for a lot of match ups. I would like to trade Wood tbh to get Sengun more minutes but as long as he is on the team, Wood is the better player.

I would say less about his body type and more about his position. Big man defense is more important than guard defense which is why its worse when Sengun does bad on defense than say Jalen Green(not that Im saying that Sengun shouldnt get more minutes, Im just explaining the rationale.) I would like for him to get more minutes but I also think the coaching staff is just trying to instill good habits. I think he will get his minutes eventually, everyone just has to be patient and not cry about it every game.

14. aaquaa

aaquaa Member

Wait... does that mean as long as we keep Kevon Looney in check we shouldn't worry about Steph Curry's (&Klay's) 3-pters? :D

15. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

Huh? Smh

16. AlperenSengun

AlperenSengun Member

Maybe it is time to change the thread title. I take the 'Alperen is the best player' similar to 'Josh Christopher is the ROTY'. I don't see any need to write that they are not correct statements.

I think his minutes are normal now(20-25), and fouls and stamina are more realistic concerns. When he was playing around 15 minutes, they were not. Arguments of the sort 'he can't play 20 minutes because he does not have the stamina to play 36 minutes' or ' he can't play 20 minutes because he will foul out in 36 minutes' did not make any sense. They are similar arguments to 'Alperen should play 30-35 minutes'. That's what I meant by 'anti-cult' responses.

As you said, Wood is better in a lot of match-ups. But I gave the stats above, Alperen has huge overall contribution in defense. My point was that his contribution is often dismissed by the very same people who praise Wood with rebound total. Actually Sengun's offensive rebound rate and contested defensive rebound rate is better than Wood. Wood is still the better player (if he was worse than a 19-year-old rookie, that would be weird) but his main (and in my opinion only) strength is scoring.

Man it was a joke.

17. jimmyv281

jimmyv281 Member

Most talented and valuable Rockets
    Woods
    Jalen Green - still so much potential
    Sengun
    KPJ
    Josh Christopher
    Tate and KJ Martin - tied for me
    The rest of the Rockets in any order

18. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

this is just a response from a person who doesn't know what he is talking about

19. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

Wood is the best player we have

20. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Why do the non judgmental posters let the judgmental posters judge.....no judgment intended here.

Freedom to judge.

aaquaa and cmoak1982 like this.