1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Alperen is our best player.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Francis3422, Dec 10, 2021.

1. Ankara1923

Ankara1923 Member

5 franchise+7 premium then.

I adapted to American jargon.

hakeem94 likes this.
  2. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

It's certainly possible. I'm higher on KPJ than most.

Ankara1923 likes this.
  3. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

hahah ! nice...i like your og terminology more...its refreshing...the franchise is kinda worn out and obfuscating...its stagnates the thought and make people think inside the box

Ankara1923 likes this.
  4. Ankara1923

Ankara1923 Member

So, you see, you might employ a near-franchise player for 20M/year.

JG+Alpi+Jabari+Tari +KPJ+Next pick. Wonderful squad. They will grow together.Tate,Garuba,KMJ.. will play 7 to 10 M/year.Perfect.

5. Houston77

Supporting Member

With all due respect, I think you're missing what I'm saying. I said you move past the "rebuilding" stage once you identify three franchise players. That is the baseline before you start making moves away from the draft and towards free agency/trades where you send out assets.

6. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Do you guys even know what a franchise player is. We are not even close to a single one at the moment.

A franchise player is one player you can build around to win a championship. There's probably like 5 of them in the NBA right now

Easy and hlmbasketball like this.
  7. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I think Alpi can be that kind of player. Green possibly as well, but I am less sure there.

LeDakota and Ankara1923 like this.
  8. Houston77

Supporting Member

It may be a difference in semantics, but I think there is a difference between a franchise player and a superstar. Kris Middleton and Jrue Holiday are franchise players. Giannis is a superstar.

To me, Green and Sengun are very likely at least franchise players, and both have superstar potential. Especially Green. There’s a decent chance Green averages 23+ this season. Go look at the top 5-10 players and see how many PPG they averaged their second seasons. Very few dominated from day 1 like Luka.

AroundTheWorld and cmoak1982 like this.
  9. Ankara1923

Ankara1923 Member

Needs some strength, especially against KAT the wrestler.

The oldest continuous (Olympics interrupted) sport organization in the world is Kirkpinar Olive Oil Wrestling Championship (more tan 660 years old). Alpi should go there training next summer. Can beat KAT very easily after that.

10. Houston77

Supporting Member

Let’s break this down numerically. This is how I view matters.

Top 10 player: Superstar
    Top 11 - 50 player: Franchise player

In my opinion, there’s a very good chance Sengun and Green are top 50 players within a couple of seasons, and both have top 10 potential.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  11. berkowsk

berkowsk Member

I don't think kat would be happy when alpi shove his oily finger to his ass.

Holybats, daywalker02 and Ankara1923 like this.
  12. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

I wouldn't consider Middelton and Holiday as franchise players. I think they are more or less All-Stars at best. To me a Franchise player are players like Hakeem, Magic, Shaq, Giannas, players of that elk.

To me, I think our main players; Sengun, Green, KPJ, and Smith all fall into a similar category. I don't want to put a cap on them yet, because I really dont know their ceiling yet. I think next yr is going to tell us a lot.

People are discounting KPJ and Smith. The PG position is HARD, especially if you've never played it....its NO PUNK, trust me!

And Smith is just starting to get back into a groove

13. LeDakota

LeDakota Member

14. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

I always thought Franchise players were your Superstars in the league; KD, Curry, LeBron, CP3, Harden, etc. Leaders of their FRANCHISES

And just because you're in the Top 50, doesn't mean you're a franchise player. For example, I dont think Klay Thompson or Paul George are franchise players because you can't win a Championship with them as the main piece, as a secondary piece yes but not as the main piece.

aaquaa likes this.
  15. Houston77

Supporting Member

Again, I think we are just debating semantics at this point. To me, franchise players are all-star and borderline all-star, whereas superstars are in a different category. You view “franchise” players as the same as superstars. We’re arguing about distinctions without differences.

hlmbasketball likes this.
  16. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

Guys, I'll admit I didnt watch the whole game, just from after Halftime to the end of the game. But I only saw Sengun get double teamed once, when the three players ran towards him when he was in the post.

If I'm wrong let me know but to me when a player requires a double team, it means every time he gets the ball in the post, a double team is coming at him, correct?

fchowd0311 likes this.
  17. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I also saw Jalen get doubled at the perimeter a couple of times.

People are really looking into the couple of times each player got doubled. Toronto doubled Jalen in multiple possessions in both their games from last season and this season.

It's a shitty talking point.

Also for all the superior playmaking that Sengun does his assist to turnover ratio are nearly identical with Jalen having a slightly higher ratio.

Also Jalen literally handed multiple points right to the lap of Sengun last night

Jalen is better at collapsing defenses in my opinion. His ability to get by his man at the perimeter often does collapse defenses. Green is just too Green in nailing the the correct read which Sengun is definitely better than Jalen at this point but I don't think he has the same defensive collapsing ability that Green does.

Also this needs to be said. Young guards have to absorb more knowledge than young bigs in the NBA. Unlike Sengun, Green for him to score often has to go through three levels of defense: perimeter, mid range and paint. While for Sengun often the guards handle the perimeter and mid to set up Sengun to do his thing in the paint.

#4517 fchowd0311, Nov 10, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2022
  18. berkowsk

berkowsk Member

For me a franchise player is the player who is most loyal to his ball club /city. For example hakeem is a franchise player but lebron is not,dirk is a franchise playe but shaq is not. First examples are the guys thay you can trust till the end they won't let you down unless you did. But secondary ones would go anywhere to be successful for their own selfishness and left the trustees behind. This is my definition of franchise player it is not based on individual success rather on loyalty to the fans ,city and club.

19. Ankara1923

Ankara1923 Member

James Worthy was ultra loyal to Lakers.
    He was drafted first overall.
    He won lots of championship, became HOF
    But he was in the same team of Kareem (1st pick), Magic (1st pick), Bob McAdo (2nd pick),..

Was he franchise player, was he superstar, was he premium player (my terminology), was he what?

aaquaa likes this.
  20. Ancient Moabite

Its diff levels to so called franchise players, post your five

Then tell me the franchise players on that 04 Pistons squad

Bosh was Raptors franchise player before he went and teamed up with higher tier franchise players in Wade n Bron

KAT is Wolves franchise player even though they may never win a ship, same as Jokic who has league MVPs but not even a Finals trip to show for it

Its plenty of franchise players but its hard to win the ship(s) if the support isn't properly built around the higher tier ones, see Bron first seven yrs with Cavs and also Harden eight yrs with Rockets