1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Alperen is our best player.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Francis3422, Dec 10, 2021.

1. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

probably because he grew 2 inches and instead of 6.9 hes now 6.11 as per official stats

2. King1

King1 Contributing Member

They are KPJ fans who can't accept reality

3. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

never gonna happen this is prolly adam silvers payback for stealing rings from firatata 2 years in a row when he just bought rockettes...firatat and silver are big friends now.... allies....

4. CDrex

CDrex Contributing Member

5. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

A CHALLENGE TO THE DOUBTERS

@LeDakota
    @Ankara1923
    @J.R.
    @CXbby
    @DreamShook

as objective cf members, be my witnesses in me challenging the doubters here
    I challenge the doubters, if their skepticism is sincere and objective, to pls find the stat where the things are reverse....

ie where alperen sengun is better than nikola jokic, and not just slightly better, but better by a huge margin, already as a rookie, as sophomeres, was always better at it than MVP and will always be better...

its a bb category and/or a basketball metric of something of monumental importance for being a superstar, for playing basketball, for being a hof player and the champion...

if you cant find and cite the parameter, then youre not objective and/or sincere in your critic and you should tear up your basketball fan membership card and never write a negative word on alpi again....
    the challenge is on....

from now on only those who submit this stat/parameter will be considered objective critics/doubters of alperen sengun and the others will be always from now reffered to first answer this challenge before listening to their new excuses of why alpi is not the man

sincerely yours
    @hakeem94

6. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

7. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Hmmm...how about being held back by his head coach? Is that the secret stat? Jokic can't touch Alp on that one.

hakeem94 and Ankara1923 like this.
  8. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

That's about the only times you are being sincere.

9. Ankara1923

Ankara1923 Member

OK, let's start.

Both was drafted at the age of 19, Alpi mid-first, Jokic mid-second.
    Alpi was more dominant in TBL (MVP) than Mega Basket's (much lower level than TBL) Jokic.
    Alpi signed immediately, Jokic waited another year to come to NBA.

So, at the beginning Alpi had more potential than Jokic, drafted at the first round, paid better money, had a TBL MVP in his bag, played against better players in his own league,etc..

But whether Alpi will be as successful as Jokic is a questionmark.
    Although Alpi had a better start, Jokic had some luck in his side as:
    1. 2cms (0.8" inch) taller and bigger.
    2. Waited additional year to adapt himself to NBA.
    3. Given 55 start and played 80 games ( Alpi's should be 13 start and around 70-72 games)
    4.Worked with Michael Malone, A.Karnisovas and Stan Kroenke who owns also Arsenal F.C. of London. Kroenke is son-in-law of Waltons (Wal-mart) and has quite a deep pocket.The trio has much better understanding of game/running franchise than Houston counterparts.
    5.Climate : Jokic is from Balkans. Balkan is a Turkish word meaning mountainous/wooden mountain.Denver climate is not different than Balkans. Alpi had lived in Giresun,Bandirma,Istanbul, all northern seaside settlements.Exact opposite to Houston's humid subtropical climate. I worked in 10 different countries and believe me that climate effects your work/life.

I have still Panglossian view for Alpi because of:

1. Silas will go and the new championship contender coach will use Alpi much better.
    2.Alpi was 2.07 in 2020, 2.08 in 2021 and 2.09 now. It seems that the boy grows 1 cms every year. At the age of 22 he will likely will stop growing as a settled 2.11. Same height of Jokic.B.Portis is 2.11 and Franz Wagner is 2.08 (6'10"). Alpi is certainly taller than Wagner and not very short from Portis if not equal. He is shorter than KAT (7", 2.13) but the question is whether 1 inch or 1.5.So Alpi is not undersized.
    3.He is more clever than average NBA player.
    4.He has leadership skills. Witnessed lots of time directing teammates how they had to position themseves.Resemblance of Dennis Schroeder but more decisive way.
    5.Alpi has become MVP in every league he played.NBA is next.

10. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

I had my mild reservations about Sengun. Now, I’m perfectly fine saying that he’s likely our second franchise piece next to Green. To me, you should be able to identify three core pieces before a rebuild is fully finished. Now the question remains — is the third piece on our roster?

11. Ankara1923

Ankara1923 Member

Why 3, why not 5?
    This mentality harms team soul. You need at least 5 premium players to play basketball. If any player start to think that he is irreplacable he will immediately will become out of touch/selfish.

New pick+Green+Tari+Jabari+Sengun is the core supported by KPJ,KMJ,Bruno,Garuba,TyTy.

Any player should know that if he get injured/traded, the others will fiil the hole.

hakeem94 likes this.
  12. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

hahaha nice one but no... its so obvious and basic stat but we rarely ever mention it...a classic... nothing weird or exotic ....its basically a boxscore stat.... this is my hint

Ankara1923, LeDakota and harold bingo like this.
  13. Houston77

Supporting Member

There is a difference between a “premium” player and a “franchise” player. Given the cap, it’s difficult (not impossible) to pay more than 3 players the max. You obviously never stop acquiring talent.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  14. Ankara1923

Ankara1923 Member

There is no difference between premium and franchise. Just different jargon.

Alpi plays for 3.5M and Bruno around 2.5, both very good players when Portis plays for 12M. If your team is good you always acquire better players,paying less. Schroeder played for 5.9M when he was the best back-up in the league last year.

5 not 3.Please.

hakeem94 likes this.
  15. clutchdabear

clutchdabear Member

Net rating for the season (minimum 100 mins played): (https://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/HOU/2023.html)
    KPJ: -12
    Jalen Green: -14
    Jabari Smith: -24
    EG: -7
    KJ Martin: +4
    Alperen Sengun: +16
    Tari Eason: +3

Garrison Mathews: -8
    Usman Garuba: +2
    Nix: -19

Obviously not the best indicator in painting the entire picture, but it really does confirm the eye test and what a lot of us are seeing when we are actually watching the games. The team plays so much better with Alpi on the floor (whether or not you believe he is the best player on the team). The Rockets on a whole are so bad in terms of offensive and defensive efficiency and in net rating, and yet you have an obvious outlier in Alperen Sengun.

Gotta give props to KJ Martin, Tari, and Usman as well - the 3 of them have busted their ass off and it shows. Still early, but everyone else has been ass so far... at least Jabari has the excuse of being the youngest on the team (and one of the youngest players in the entire league) while also missing almost the entirety of preseason with that bad ankle.

16. sinan28

sinan28 Member

As of now the third piece seems to be KPJ. He is not a PG but is forced to play that way. That will help his craft and IMO he is veryu crafty. He alrady looks like a dangerous scorer + he has size and a willing rebounder. He shows signs that he is interested in the defensive side of the game as well. Eventually we shall get a pure PG for the bench. But I truly believe that KPJ, JG and Alpi can solve the PG duties among themselves. Tari Eason has solid handling skills as well.

I believe that our core is almost set with the current roster. ı only have doubts about Jabari. To me he appears as someone who might want to leave in 2-3 years. I wish he will be developed within the Rockets to stay. If not he should at least turn into a great trade value for the team.
    I believe that Eric Gordon (with possible 1 or 2 more players) will be traded by this years deadline. With that trade + Top5 pick next year we will be set.

JG, KPJ, Alpi, Tari, K-Mart are my top picks from the current roster who ı'd love to see as teammates for years. Tate, Garuba and JC might get involved in trade but I hope they stay.

Jabari will be for us all to see. If he stays we hopefully have a future star at our hands..

AzerRocketsfan and cmoak1982 like this.
  17. Houston77

Supporting Member

Let me rephrase — I’d like to find three players who will likely receive a max contract extension. You obviously surround those guys with as many premium players as possible, but every good team as at least three players who make the max or will make the max after their rookie contract expires.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  18. Ankara1923

Ankara1923 Member

It is not from Bible/or another Holy book gentleman. Past lakers played 5 premium players (OK, 5 franchise players).I remember there were 4 first pick and 1 second pick. Rockets also won rings with 1 premium player Hakeem, supported by sam Cassell, young R.Horry,J.Tabak,Carl Herrera,...

Don't obey, judge gentleman. It is not mandatory to believe what media try to impose you. Why 3.Why not 2 or 4.

You need 5 premium(franchise players),some will be paid instantly,some in the future.

five, five.

hakeem94 likes this.
  19. sinan28

sinan28 Member

I think is too early to tell who is a candidate for a future max contract. But I think Jalen Green, KPJ and Alpi will all become max players

20. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

i see your five and raise you to 12 !

12 thousands and then some...cant really be a great team without a great crowd plus coach, GM, owner....

Ankara1923 likes this.