1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Game 4 between Luka and the Mavs and Shai and the Thunder. Join us as we watch the NBA playoffs together...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Alperen is our best player.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Francis3422, Dec 10, 2021.

1. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

They went back to in house shoes.

2. MystikArkitect

People really said we'd be hard pressed to replace Wood's production and Al-P is averaging more points, rebounds, assists, blocks, steals, higher FG %, less turnovers and higher FT % while being *not* a black hole on offense.

3. Ankara1923

Ankara1923 Member

Offense or defense?

hakeem94 likes this.
  4. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

Did you really just say this with a straight face?

5. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

both

6. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Yes.

Also - "Numbers Don't Lie" - your tag line

[​IMG]

Numbers:

[​IMG]

Numbers. They don't lie.

7. chenjy9

Supporting Member

Sengun beats people out in the NBA with footwork and finesse, not speed and athleticism. I honestly don’t give a damn what players he beat out in the Turkish League with speed or strength as this is the NBA now. In the NBA, Sengun is a JAG. His height is unimpressive, his speed is unimpressive, his wingspan is unimpressive, his vertical is meh. Are any of you going to look me in the eye and tell me he is physically elite by NBA standards?

Tucker, Dray, Chuckwagon… none of these guys are superstars which is what a good many of you are implying Alp to be. Drsy is a fringe star due to being a defensive savant, Tucker is a role player, and chuckwagon was a fringe NBA player.

8. chenjy9

Supporting Member

Charles Barkley had ELITE vertical until he got old and fat. You have no idea what you are talking about.

You forgot the key law when dealing with numbers and being honest with them; SAMPLE SIZE.

Denovo and DaDakota like this.
  9. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Alpy is doing great I love the kid as part of the Houston Rockets (before you guys freak out!!) , but you all need to find a better stat than PER to keep banging your drums especially when you're going to attempt to dump on any other player on the lineup. Im surprised the hardcore stats guys arent chiming in.

https://towardsdatascience.com/problems-with-per-in-the-nba-fa0e611543e2

https://hoopshype.com/lists/advanced-stats-nba-real-plus-minus-rapm-win-shares-analytics/

According to the survey this publication ran DARKO was the preferred catch all stat - you can digest the data here: https://apanalytics.shinyapps.io/DARKO/

harold bingo and snowconeman22 like this.
  10. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

11. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

So you think any of the players in that screenshot with more than 25 minutes is not one of the top players in the league? Maybe not top 10 or top 20 as this fluctuates, but top 30-50? Small sample size yes, but I think we can agree that Sengun is in elite company in this list (taking out the 12 and 15 minute players). If nothing else, this is highly promising.

12. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Idk y folks keep raggin on his height like it's a negative. I already done a lengthy post to show that there's really like 10-11 teams that have taller centers.

Why is physical elite the goal post now? Sengun is 20 years old and he has shown he can hang with starting centers. Like what else does he need to prove to folks?
    Folks think a certain speed and athleticism is the only thing that allows players to play center. That mindset is incorrect. Sengun has shown that while his defense still needs more improvement he can be played at that position, the potential to b great is endless.

I swear some folks are watching different games.

aaquaa and AlpysNumberThreeFan like this.
  13. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Barkley had a 35-39 inch vertical, which is very good, but it's not like he was Michael Jordan. And he certainly wasn't the tallest. He was very good at boxing out, and just smart. Like Sengun.

aaquaa and hakeem94 like this.
  14. chenjy9

Supporting Member

Without appropriate sample size, the way you are trying to use stats IS meaningless. Now what your list does tell us is that Sengun is exceeding is current role by A LOT and this is also confirmed by his per36 metrics as well. Here is the thing though, as minutes rise, as usage rise, metrics like efficiency and value fall, often drastically.

I agree, it is highly promising. Just don't try to make it something that it's not.

Charles Barkley had a 39" vertical as a player with the weight of a big man. He had a 39" despite being OVER FIFTY POUNDS heavier than Jordan. That is absolutely INCREDIBLE. I agree that he was great at boxing out and played intelligently. So let me ask you this, if both players play smart and have comparable skills and techniques, what do you think is the edge that helps one player come out on top?

15. chenjy9

Supporting Member

With 30 teams in the NBA, 10-11 falls into slightly above average range which is unimpressive. No one is saying that height or speed or athleticism is the only thing that matters. However they do matter and they matter by a significant amount and among the NBA big men, Sengun is just another guy physically. I haven't seen it and I for one haven't said it. Now what I have ALWAYS said from the very beginning despite being a fan is that not being elite in any physical areas is going to be a HUGE WALL against future stardom (this is what Sengun stans are peddling). Now, there are ways he can compensate and that is namely by developing CONSISTENTLY RELIABLE range or ELITE post game.

16. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

What's Alpi's vertical, actually?

Wasn't there some sort of alley-oop from Green to Alpi in the last game?

Also, what's KAT's vertical? And Jokic's?

Looked it up - KAT seems to be 36 inches. Jokic...pretty much 0 inches lol. But of course he is big.

17. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

ahahhahahahah!!!!

probably some desperate SOF hacker breaking the server and messing with the data!

LeDakota likes this.
  18. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Ah yes the elusive 17-10-2-64 club.

Up there with 100 in a game, 29 foot long jump and 60 home runs as unforgettable sports milestones

Here's the thing @ Bradeaux

- if a stat didn't exist when someone hit it (nobody knew what TS% was in Barkley s day, eg)

- if you're arbitrarily picking unrelated integers like 17-10-2 and random fractions like .64

These are signs you should slow down before you tweet

durvasa and AlperenSengun like this.
  19. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Somewhere around 33” -34” max vertical depending on true height.
    His jumping off of movement is solid, it’s the explosion from a standstill that needs work.
    He has solid short area movement with below average top end speed.
    I think with more strength and dynamic training he can be a solid athlete for his size.
    Wingspan is average at 7’1 but his standing reach will always be lower because of a longer neck and low shoulders.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  20. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Lol there was an attempt, but im pretty sure sengun caught it, gather himself and made an easy shot instead of doing something that he wasn't comfortable doing.