1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Alperen is our best player.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Francis3422, Dec 10, 2021.

1. kubli9

kubli9 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

He might be the best of our young group, but is that saying very much right now?

LeDakota likes this.
  2. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

This is sad….

Ankara1923 likes this.
  3. LeDakota

LeDakota Member

Why would it be very much right now if it’s not gonna make KPJ stans offended?

Ankara1923 likes this.
  4. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Can Sengun go drive to the basket and make plays? No. He needs the ball at the top of the key to make those cute little between the legs passes on DHO's and the very useful back door cut pass which is great - you all pretend you've never seen this type of play before. Amping up the regular.

KPJ as much as you want to deny and ignore has been the most consistent player on the court. The only guy who can actually dribble a ball without turning it over. Generates fouls at will and is making the free throws and is an actual threat as a 3 point shooter. Same excuses you make for Sengun apply for KPJ - his teammates SUCK at finishing easy assists near the basket Sengun included!! Nobody is making shots on the team currently Sengun included! You MFers create strawman after strawman in trying to tear down Scooter and exalt Sengun that it becomes a bad faith discussion and trust me Im your huckleberry if toxic and petty is your desired exchange. I dont care about you. I'll be here after you go smelling SEnguns ass to some other team.

I also dont give a flying fk about your aesthetic preference for NBA basketball. Sengun has his chances to "be the man" -- if he wants to pass out to someone else then maybe he's deferring to a better option in that particular moment? Nah too deep for you troglodytes. Get back to me when Alpy has even a 1:1 ast/to ratio and then you can try to diminish what KPJ has done thus far. Not everybody on the team is taking 2 foot baby hooks to pad their "advanced stats".

maj21 likes this.
  5. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

I would like to run the ball through Sengun more just to give us a structure, but he is not our best player, KPJ is......

It would be nice to mix it up a lot more though.

DD

6. LeDakota

LeDakota Member

I’m glad to see some common sense from KPJ stans .

DreamShook and Ankara1923 like this.
  7. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If he isn’t the best player, he is damn close. It is certainly up for debate. The entire offense is currently catered to KPJ. Here is to hoping that KPJ and Sengun get it going together, they are a perfect pairing. Alperen can help with KPJ’s flaws.

Alperen Sengun is 20, you dudes crying about turnovers and fouls just don’t get it.

#3767 RudyTBag, Nov 1, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2022
    berkowsk, Denovo, DreamShook and 6 others like this.
  8. LeDakota

LeDakota Member

“Can Sengun go drive to the basket and make plays?”

Yes he can and did many times… do you even watch the games?

Doesn’t matter if you deny it or not, it’s a fact that Sengun is the best finisher statistically proven so far. He even makes Dirk’s fadeaway something he wasn’t ready to do earlier but now has been showing progress in terms of shooting mid range. Still hesitating and not good at 3 pointers, but obviously more comfortable compared to the last season. He had 6 turnover in a game once this season and that’s the highest of him. I accept that he might be turnover prone while attempting risky passes. He hasn’t had enough chances to play as a point center so we can’t really say how he will be in that role. If we had a competent coach, he would experiment to see how Sengun does in that role for few games. KPJ is a turnover machine compared to Sengun though. Check stats sometimes. Why don’t you say anything about KPJ’s non stop dribbling? How do you defend him not passing his teammates when they are wide open? Do you support him playing hero ball all game? Wish you could say one or two things about his selfish gameplay.
    You can keep insulting me as much as you want, I’m here to talk Rockets basketball.

clutchdabear, Ankara1923 and RHU525 like this.
  9. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

I think a lot of KPJ’s current flaws are a result of the way our coaching staff is using him.

It isn’t a rebuke on KPJ’s talent to say that more offense should be run through our statistically most efficient offensive player. That player is Alperen Sengun, and I’d even like to see Jabari used more so he can learn. Take some load off of KPJ, it will help reduce his incessant dribbling.

(JG will get this turned around in short order, too)

Denovo, Ankara1923 and LeDakota like this.
  10. AlpysNumberThreeFan

Hey guys. I am from Turkey and a Besiktas fan where Alpy was drafted from. So I might be a bit biased.

You should know that he actually improved a lot from his MVP year. He was a non shooter, now he can occasionally hit threes and cool middies. Hakeem way or Nowitzki way, he can do it and it always look elegant, not forced. He did this jump in one year without an off season. You guys don’t see that. Watch his highlights from Europe, he was just a post up monster who can pass it like baby joker. He could actually be the euroleague MVP with his current skill set if consistent.

He was able to bully prime age centers in Europe because centers aren’t as bulky as NBA. Many of them were still bigger than him, but his talent and mentality made him an efficient post scorer. I believe that he will do the same in the NBA when he adds muscles in coming years, because the talent and mentality is still there, only his body needs the adjustments.

Also if my eyes aren’t lying, he look taller than his Besiktas days. He was 6’9 ish when he was 18. I don’t believe that he is 6’11 now, but he should be a bit over 6’10 with shoes. His weird body type make him look smaller, long neck doesn’t help, and his legs are too wide, it makes his upper body look thin. Just look at his calves. If he reaches 6’11 in shoes for real, it will make it much easier for him in the post both ways. Just pray he grows, or the staff can fix him some hormones :))

Btw, I don’t think that he is that bad on defense. Team as a whole is too bad. When the guards don’t play defense, Sengun have to deal with players like Morant, who can cook like 98% of centers in the NBA. It is not just about Sengun. Some players are balanced in both ends, some do good on one end. Sengun is good on the offense, gotta become at least average in the defense. Give him two years, he will be just fine.

Btw, I feel like KPJ and Jalen got closer, and they stay away from Sengun. They probably don’t like him being overrated. Yeah he is overrated. The problem is, it is like people only see either the good, or the bad in Sengun. Only a few people are in the middle. No, he is not a superstar lock, and no, he is not an absolute bust. He is just a 20 years old NBA player whose career depend on multiple variables. If a player like Draymond ended up in a team like Charlotte, would he end up like this? May be the best possibility for him was the Warriors, and the stars were aligned in the draft day. You feel me? Bad part is, I am feeling more and more like the right place for Sengun was the Spurs. Silas just don’t like him. He only need a muscular guy that can jump high so KPJ and Jalen’s sorry ass oop passes can absolutely be caught. KPJ can end up as an elite scorer, but I don’t see him becoming a true PG. Some just don’t have the passing ability. I think Jalen has more chance at making it as a PG. Btw Sengun is able to catch lobs, the problem is, the guards just don’t throw it to him. He always points up for the lob, and they don’t throw it. They don’t pass it to him most of the time anyway.

The best player on the team is probably EG. I think he would do a wonderful job as a 3rd or 4th option in a contender, and as a bench scorer in a finals caliber team. Most of the other guys are close. It is more about form and consistency, rather than talent. If Sengun could handle 30 minutes a game and average 19/12/4, he would be the best. If Green could do 26/5/4 we would call him the best as well. Question is not who is the best, it is who can handle being the best. Sengun deserves the opportunity just like Jalen and KPJ so we can see if he is the best. Coach gotta give it to him.

I wrote a book cuz I am drunk. Don’t fight boys, supporting a young team is more logical than hating. Many of them are reading these forums. Don’t let the kids down.

11. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

"many times" I guess thats the Turkish equivalent to "Always" :rolleyes:

12. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

The nerve to even bring up Dream with this guy LOL

13. LeDakota

LeDakota Member

So what are you trying to prove? In general, he can drive to the rim well. Did you forget how many dimes he made while driving?

Ankara1923 likes this.
  14. LeDakota

LeDakota Member

I don’t remember anyone saying Sengun is the next Hakeem.

AroundTheWorld and Ankara1923 like this.
  15. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

"durrr durrr he has tunnel vision all he looks to do is score when he drives" Sound familiar? How many "dimes" did he have while driving last night chief? Three? LOL

16. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Good! "Seems you Sengun Nut huggers have some common sense after all" Sound familiar?

Sengun couldnt even tie Dreams shoes for him. He will never even be half the player he was. Just making sure you numbskulls understand that.

17. LeDakota

LeDakota Member

My opinion is he should be used as a secondary SG coming from the bench. That hero ball style would work against opposing backup players.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  18. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

Easy Bud, it isn’t politics, or Twitter. Keep Clutchfans cool.

19. omgTHEpotential

No need to disrespect Sengun. If he reaches his ceiling he can definitely be one of the top centers in the game. Think Nikola Jokic lite. So something like a better version of Domantas Sabonis.

I just wish they'd let Sengun be the hub of the offense. He could easily average 4-6 assists a game.

LeDakota and AroundTheWorld like this.
  20. LeDakota

LeDakota Member

Did I talk about last night? Yesterday he had 3 assists which aren’t bad for someone barely getting the ball in his hand and you expect him to the drive and dime like 10 assist? You should tell KPJ to give him the ball more so that Sengun can show his craftiness.
    Last season he displayed glimpses of what he can do while driving.

I’m sure now you didn’t watch any games previously.