1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Alperen is our best player.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Francis3422, Dec 10, 2021.

1. D-rock

D-rock Member

Not sure what you were watching then the other night.

2. D-rock

D-rock Member

Triangle/Princeton have similarities for sure but not sure Silas is disciple of either system.

Silas is no Tex Winter or Rick Adelman when it comes to expertise in either system.

https://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/28/sports/basketball/phil-jackson-knicks-triangle-offense-nba.html

burlesk likes this.
  3. j@amc

j@amc Member

Mostly the first half, in which KPJ took several bad shots/drives, but he might have just been trying to get a few shots up. I wasn't watching in the 3rd quarter when others indicate that he picked things up.

burlesk and D-rock like this.
  4. i3artow i3aller

5. D-rock

D-rock Member

burlesk likes this.
  6. D-rock

D-rock Member

This was an excellent vid analysis.

Chef's kiss.

burlesk and i3artow i3aller like this.
  7. PeppermintCandy

Damn, that was good.

8. i3artow i3aller

9. J.R.

J.R. Member

Close your eyes @hakeem94 (and Sengun fans) :D

Alperen Sengun, the Rockets’ talented second-year center promoted to the starting lineup, took a pass at the elbow and went to work. He maneuvered into the paint, faked right and put in a neat lefthanded hook, one of five shots he sank in just six attempts against the San Antonio Spurs on Sunday.

That was not, however, the play or the plan. For the Rockets, there is a delicate balance to make the offense work its best, a mix between Sengun’s skills in the paint and the spacing to unlock the scorers around him, especially high-flying guard Jalen Green.

The Rockets have been their best during training camp, practices and even Sunday’s game against the Spurs when running pick-and-roll, often with Bruno Fernando rim-running.

Lucas said Sengun is a “smarter,” more confident player than as a rookie. Green was effusive in praising Sengun’s decision-making on Sunday. But Lucas added, “If we stop the play to run through him, it would take away from the other strengths as a whole.”

“When Al-P catches it a little bit higher at the nail or the elbow or the short roll in pick-and-roll, everybody … has to get a good feel for what we want in those situations. That’s something we’re going to have to clean up. Conceptually, it does look good that we have shooting on the floor and Al-P in the paint.”

The Rockets will want Sengun to use his passing skills more efficiently than in the preseason opener, when he had three assists and five turnovers as the Rockets outscored the Spurs by just two points in his 20 minutes of a 38-point win. But they also could appreciate his ball movement and the way it could trigger offense.

“We are moving the ball a lot,” Sengun said. “We’re sharing the ball. That’s important for the game, because we have to play like a team. We didn’t do (that) last season. We weren’t doing team play. Now, everybody is sharing the ball.”

Eventually, the Rockets would like Sengun to fit in five-out offenses. For now, there is a problem with trying that.

“I can shoot, but I’m not that good right now,” said Sengun, who made 24.8 percent of his 3s last season. “That’s why (playing inside) is good for me. If I’m inside, I can (trigger) offense a lot. I can finish it. But in the future, I’m going to shoot (more often). More pick-and-pop I will do.”

Still, the Rockets' offense likely will be at its best if Porter and Green are as effective as they were to close last season, when they had an offensive rating of 119.9 while on the floor together in the final seven games, which would have been better than any team overall last season. (The Rockets' offensive rating overall last season was 108.1, 26th in the league.)

D-rock, clos4life, slothy420 and 6 others like this.
  10. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Fouls and turnovers are the most important improvement areas. Has to be quicker in his decision-making, he freestyles a lot which adds to his creativity of course but he needs effective go-to moves so he doesn't end up dancing himself in circles leading to TO's.

Playing D without fouling, obviously a major thing for most young bigs, if he expects to see 25+ mpg this year he's got to really focus on fouls.

burlesk likes this.
  11. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

Imagine if Westbrook would realize this.

Hopefully Alp keeps working on his shot.

clos4life, aaquaa, burlesk and 2 others like this.
  12. i3artow i3aller

13. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Man, he has a lot of work to do. 50% unguarded is not very encouraging.

14. aaquaa

aaquaa Member

He does.

15. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

I think he will get there. Scouts were bullish on his ability to develop a 3PT shot based on his free throw mechanics, as well as his FT% in Turkey (82%). It did drop to 71% when he came to Houston, which is a fairly drastic drop since Green comparatively only dropped to 80% from 83% in the g-league (Christopher also dropped from 80% to 74%, but he was only attempting 1.5 FTA per game so the sample size is small).

aaquaa and Easy like this.
  16. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

and imagine if silas would realize this?!

aaquaa likes this.
  17. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I was only half serious. That video only shows 6 attempts, small sample size. Normally in those practice clips, even the non-elite shooter guys would drain shot after shot.

Anyway, he hit 3 in a row and then missed 3 in a row. That may suggest confidence issue. Shooting has a big mental part. Missing a shot can immediately mess up your mechanic because you start doubting it.

flamingdts likes this.
  18. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

I think this is where Silas shines as a coach with a development background. He implemented an entire scheme(41) to maximize where Al-P is currently at with his development to allow him to continue to work on the 5 out. Very smart, agile, approach to team basketball and player development.

aaquaa, burlesk and don grahamleone like this.
  19. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Surprised to find this thread on the 2nd page

Anywho...

"Alperen Sengun .. ALWAYS (in practice) :D

20. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

His defense and rebounding tonight were...not great Bob.

J.R. likes this.