1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Alperen is our best player.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Francis3422, Dec 10, 2021.

1. maj21

maj21 Member

Playing the 4 internationally is different from playing it here. It would be Wemby, bari, and tari as the future front court. That would be pretty sick imo

2. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Not sure why you think it would be disastrous on both ends.

On offense, it's positionless anyway. Who cares if you call him a 4 or a 5. Both Jabari and Wemby can shoot from outside. Sengun would still be manning the high post and low post. They would both be feasting on Sengun's passes cutting to the basket.

On defense, Jabari can cover a lot of ground while Wemby would be the rim protector. Playing with both of those guys would actually hide a lot of Sengun's defensive weakness.

That said, I hope we get Henderson more than Wemby. I still don't trust KPJ as our future PG. KPJ playing the wing is a better situation for everybody. Anyway, the chances of getting either one of Scoot and Wemby aren't very good. It's more realistic to hope for the development of the young players we already have and maybe one more good one in the next draft.

3. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Tari doesn’t deserve to start over Alp, and jury is still out on Jabari.
    Having a 4 man rotation with them is the best possible outcome.

AroundTheWorld and aaquaa like this.
  4. maj21

maj21 Member

We’ll see man. He’s gonna get destroyed on D this season imo. I wanna be wrong, I really do. I just know it’s gonna be a problem and people on here are gonna realize it in a couple of months.

5. maj21

maj21 Member

I’m not talking about now, I mean in the future if they develop like we hope. I know how y’all feel about Sengun and he can do no wrong, but I don’t have that same attachment to him. I see the hood and the limitations

6. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Alp has a higher upside than Jabari and Tari, and he’s quite a bit younger than Tar.
    His “limitations” are overblown, outside of 3 pt shooting. If he becomes a 38% 3 pt shooter he’s the 1b to Greens 1a

aaquaa and CircaSurvive like this.
  7. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I don't disagree that he will likely struggle on defense as a full time starter. That's why having a guy like Wemby in the middle on defense would cover a lot of that. Hopefully Sengun will learn and improve through more experience.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  8. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

He was a good switch defender, bad post defender. If Jabari averages the stocks Alp did, you’re gonna sing his praises

9. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

Sengun is pretty underrated on D here considering he was playing next to Wood who was slightly more effective than your average traffic cone. Add on rookie baby fat, stamina issues, and inexperience... kid was behind the 8 ball from the start. All things considered, I thought he did pretty darn good.

10. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I could easily see Jabari being great defensively, and only racking up the steals and blocks that Sengun did last season. I think Jabari will have more steals, but the blocks will depend on how he is used. Jabari will likely have a much better defensive Raptor (or most other flavors of advanced defensive stats that are more holistic) than Sengun did this past season.

Corrosion and cmoak1982 like this.
  11. maj21

maj21 Member

I completely understand that, Wemby would help him a lot! Just imagine having guys out there who won’t need his help as much and we can switch everything

12. maj21

maj21 Member

He was struggling more as a switch defender later in the season when he was getting starter minutes. It was much different going against starters vs backups

13. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

He graded out as a good switch defender.
    We will see how he does, he still has a ton of positives. And more upside than Tari

14. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

I also see Jabari and Alp helping each other out. Alp was up there in hustle plays like deflections, tips and screens. Jabari has that same mentality. If everyone buys in, the defense should look a lot better.

Drift Monkey likes this.
  15. maj21

maj21 Member

Idk about that. Tari has a chance to be key starter for a playoff team. He’s the guy we could use on Tatum, Brown, Kawhi, Luka… he has huge upside to be that guards them and is a plus on offense

16. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Talk about overrating lol
    I love Tari but he doesn’t have the upside of Alp

aaquaa likes this.
  17. YOLO

YOLO Member

it's not really overrating. Every playoff team has a key 3 and D wing or glue guy that does dirty work. That's what Tari projects to be. Tari's strength is his defensive versatility. Nothing wrong with that. He didn't say Tari is the primary go to guy on a playoff team

#3297 YOLO, Sep 29, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2022
    harold bingo, maj21 and cmoak1982 like this.
  18. maj21

maj21 Member

I’m not saying that. I just see more upside in being a key player in the playoffs. Sengun has a better chance of being a star. Look at what Wiggins did in the finals on D.. I can see tari playing that role

aaquaa and cmoak1982 like this.
  19. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Can Sengun come back from 37-13 or is the experiment over?

harold bingo likes this.
  20. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

TyTy
    Green
    Tari
    Bari
    Alpi